The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 July 2024, 01:40 AM   #1
ahlgringo
2024 Pledge Member

Thoughts on these flat Sub hands

As my vintage education continues, was hoping to get the groups opinion on the authenticity and lume on this set of hands I came across on the bay. Seller claims they are authentic and seconds and minute hands both 12.5mm pin to tip. Much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 9.29.09 AM copy.jpg (253.5 KB, 161 views)
ahlgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 02:04 AM   #2
oysterfisher
"TRF" Member

I dont like the shape of the hour hand.
oysterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 02:11 AM   #3
CTech
"TRF" Member

It is not easy to tell what version these hands these are from the photographs as the hour hand doesn't look exactly like any of the recognized types.

The closest match, judged by the narrowness of the parallel section of the hour hand only, suggests it is a chrome plated hand and would originally have had radium lume.

This is a good reference for looking at Submariner hands:

https://rolexhaven.com/hands.html

but you'll have to get photos of the back of the hands and compare every detail with known good examples to be able to make a considered judgement of whether these are original items and for what movement they would be a correct fitment.

It might be best for you to provide some context about what you want to do with these hands and on what watch you are thinking of using them.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 02:54 AM   #4
antrolexsub
"TRF" Member

They’re not flat hands. Seconds hand is definitely aftermarket. Hour and minute hand also look off shape wise and have been poorly lumed, notice the overspill on the backside of the hour hand. Minute hand has a flat tip and dimension of the hour hand look wrong.
antrolexsub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 03:56 AM   #5
ahlgringo
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you all- I thought the shape of the tips of the hour hand and the second hands were wrong as well. My original thought was that these were old radium hands that had been relumed (yes, poorly) at some point- but they also may very well be aftermarket- too many questions in my mind to be serious about them. I have a 61 PCG gilt chapter 5512 that has had hands replaced with a newer curved tritium set. I am always sort of looking for a good set of flats to bring it back to period correct. That is what brought up this discussion. Thanks all!!!
ahlgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 06:31 PM   #6
Dom9
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600 & 9411
I recognised the 'style' of the photo so just checked the 'bay and that is a seller I stopped following a while ago as I had too many question marks over too many things. That's not to cast aspersions re. deliberacy for errors. Sells a fair amount (or lists at least) here and VRF as well. We're lucky forums like these exist, as it can be a minefield out there.
Old 8 July 2024, 07:14 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Agree with above, plus .... there's no taper to the end of the seconds hand like an authentic Rolex seconds hand.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote