The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #91
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
I tried a few 6's but they wear a little too chunky for my taste. The 5's feel just right so I went all in and bought a couple in NOS condition. Bracelets/clasps still stiff, lugs, bezel and case in original condition - hard to beat a brand new 15-year-old watch!
Amazing. That 14060M case is sharp as a knife. Do you have more pics on wrist?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #92
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
It’s these threads that make TRF so enjoyable. While there are many “upgrades” with the 6 digit references, the 5 digit sport references are special and classic.
IMO Rolex was genius in that room for both in a collection is a great thing because of the differences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2023-11-04-090144.jpeg (282.1 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2024-06-26-100755.jpeg (280.0 KB, 129 views)

GMT II 126719 Meteorite + GMT II 126710BLRO + Daytona 116500LN (White) + Submariner 16610LV + Explorer II 16570 Polar
+ Submariner 116610LV + GMT II 16713 Rootbeer + Sky-Dweller 336934 (Blue) + GMT II 16710 (Pepsi & Coke) + Sea-Dweller 116600

Breitling Premier B25 Datora

2FA Security Active
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #93
Curated
"TRF" Member

5 digits were peak Rolex, durable, perfect size, sleek and lightweight. My 16610 is basically my beater, worn doing anything and everything.
Curated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #94
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
For me, the practical advantages of the 6 digits are in the bracelet and the clasp, both being more adjustable- fewer permanent links in the bracelet and easy link/glide lock- in the 6 digit series. Makes for a more wearable watch.

Also, the aesthetics of the so-called 'tuna can' clasp are just not up to the standard of a watch of this caliber, IMO.

Speaking of aesthetics, though, let's start by turning the watch over and looking at the bezel and dial. That's where the beauty and charm of the 5 digits more than hold their own with their newer counterparts, the Pepsi in particular. Again my opinion only, the colors on the ceramic are never going to match the striking visual impact of the red and blue found on the 5 (and even 4) digit models.

So it all boils down to this...nothing is perfect. You just have to pick your poison. As far as whatever the future holds, well, I guess that is going to be determined by whatever future collectors hold to be more important. Given the popularity of the 5 digits on this forum, which I consider to be the most knowledgeable and informed on the internet, I would say it's a pretty safe bet their place in history is secure.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM   #95
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptimes View Post
The transition from Rolex 5-digit series to 6-digit series has indeed brought about advancements in technology and materials, which are often appreciated by enthusiasts and collectors.
Robot says what?
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM   #96
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbear View Post
It’s these threads that make TRF so enjoyable. While there are many “upgrades” with the 6 digit references, the 5 digit sport references are special and classic.
IMO Rolex was genius in that room for both in a collection is a great thing because of the differences.
This, exactly. It’s the differences within a collection that make it interesting, not the similarities.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 AM   #97
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Bracelets are undeniably stronger and better. You’re not going to significantly stretch a 6 digit jubilee bracelet. You can look at a 1601’s jubilee bracelet and it could be a near right angle. That’s never going to happen again.
Definitely. Rolex made a clear improvement to reduce or prevent stretch, and of course they made other improvements as well.

I'd respectfully suggest that it's too early to say anything conclusive about the separate but related question of long-term performance of the current bracelets vs. the older bracelets. That's just because we can't predict the future. Stretch in the older bracelets was never an issue until years into ownership, and then only with frequent wear. Similarly, none of us knows right now which bracelet or clasp components on our 6-digit models might commonly start to "fail" 20 years from now (I put "fail" in quotes because stretch isn't a catastrophic issue in the same way that having a pin or screw come out is).

The question of bracelet strength is an interesting one. Although it'd be an expensive test, I figured that by now, someone would've posted a video testing the strength of various old and new Rolex bracelets, say by comparing how much force it takes to pull apart the links on one bracelet vs. another. That'd be fun to watch, especially if clasps were attached too, to see what component fails first. I'd especially like to see how something like the 93150 performs relative to the current bracelets. I couldn't find anything, though.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:33 AM   #98
orangespicy
2024 Pledge Member

The 5-digit proportions were just perfect.. I have small wrists though, lol. But I do wish there was a newer model Rolex introduced to cater to that crowd. Like how Tudor released the BB58.
orangespicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #99
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I tried a few 6's but they wear a little too chunky for my taste. The 5's feel just right so I went all in and bought a couple in NOS condition. Bracelets/clasps still stiff, lugs, bezel and case in original condition - hard to beat a brand new 15-year-old watch!
This is awesome. I also think you purchased the two best "values" in the Rolex world right now, period. NOS obviously commands a premium, but you can buy these two watches in excellent condition with B+P for LESS than MSRP of the current models.

I would love to get a 16710 again but the price premiums on those are a little tough to swallow now, so I'm tempted to get a 16570.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:53 AM   #100
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangespicy View Post
The 5-digit proportions were just perfect.. I have small wrists though, lol. But I do wish there was a newer model Rolex introduced to cater to that crowd. Like how Tudor released the BB58.
124270 jumps to mind. Arguably better proportions than the 114270. With that design and the 36mm case, it's the closest thing Rolex has to Omega's Speedy Pro.

And of course, the 36mm DJs or OPs.
Old Today, 03:38 AM   #101
orangespicy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
124270 jumps to mind. Arguably better proportions than the 114270. With that design and the 36mm case, it's the closest thing Rolex has to Omega's Speedy Pro.

And of course, the 36mm DJs or OPs.
I did consider that one, although it's a bit too simple and plain for me (also no date..)! Same with OP. I may try out a DJ.
orangespicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:48 AM   #102
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangespicy View Post
I did consider that one, although it's a bit too simple and plain for me (also no date..)! Same with OP. I may try out a DJ.
The aesthetic proportions of the DJ are lovely, but on wrist they wear a bit smaller than back in the 5 digit days, gives a more jewelry vibe consistent with the modern Rolex, I guess. I think the old 5-digit domed/oyster combo was downright toolish, esp with the brushed bracelet. Could be my favorite DJ config of all time, so there's another instance where I think 5 digit was better, haha.

Like you mentioned, I think Tudor might be the ultimate answer here. There are some members here that sold their Rolexes in favor of Tudor primarily because of the more vintage proportions they offer now.

I think the drawback (that you may agree with since you seem to want a date function) is those proportions for now seem to be limited to the BB58/54 line as most of their other sports watches remained a bit too thick/big overall.

I am hoping the BB58 GMT solves this "problem", and I have one on order. I will reserve judgment until I get one on wrist and use it for a while. But I think that and the BB54 I already have may pose the question of whether any modern Rolex makes sense for a guy like me, who favors the 5 digit proportions, look, and feel but wants some of the more modern watch features like quick microadjust (T-Fit now solves this) and more modern movements.
Old Today, 04:56 AM   #103
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:

I did this as well. Over the past year, I added a NOS 16570 polar and a NOS 16613lb to join my 16710. And I agree wholeheartedly, it’s a great feeling to have that squeaky bracelet and perfect case on a ~15 year old watch. The eventual and inevitable battle scars will be all mine.

Old Today, 05:03 AM   #104
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbear View Post
Great looking handful of watches!!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #105
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I did this as well. Over the past year, I added a NOS 16570 polar and a NOS 16613lb to join my 16710. And I agree wholeheartedly, it’s a great feeling to have that squeaky bracelet and perfect case on a ~15 year old watch. The eventual and inevitable battle scars will be all mine.

Beautiful!! We need to start a "safe queen" rescue thread!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #106
phillyEagles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two tone Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Robot says what?
Lmbo!
phillyEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #107
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
For me, the practical advantages of the 6 digits are in the bracelet and the clasp, both being more adjustable- fewer permanent links in the bracelet and easy link/glide lock- in the 6 digit series. Makes for a more wearable watch.

Also, the aesthetics of the so-called 'tuna can' clasp are just not up to the standard of a watch of this caliber, IMO.

Speaking of aesthetics, though, let's start by turning the watch over and looking at the bezel and dial. That's where the beauty and charm of the 5 digits more than hold their own with their newer counterparts, the Pepsi in particular. Again my opinion only, the colors on the ceramic are never going to match the striking visual impact of the red and blue found on the 5 (and even 4) digit models.

So it all boils down to this...nothing is perfect. You just have to pick your poison. As far as whatever the future holds, well, I guess that is going to be determined by whatever future collectors hold to be more important. Given the popularity of the 5 digits on this forum, which I consider to be the most knowledgeable and informed on the internet, I would say it's a pretty safe bet their place in history is secure.
That’s really well said Larry
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #108
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
5s for me I dabbled with newer but came back home to 5s ......but I'm old so big part of it
This is where I'm at also.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #109
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Lots of interesting points made here. I prefer the 5's. I hate the look of the ceramic and the blockier cases. I think the 5's are a more "livable" watch. Easy to wear and not as flashy.

One poster made the point that when Rolex moved to stiffer, heavier bracelets they introduced a new problem and that was comfort. The 5-digit bracelets have some give to them. I actually think they put a lot of thought into the design. They are oddly "grippy" too; a quality I attribute to slight flex of the links that means they are less likely to slide around when worn comfort loose. The rigidity of the 6 digit bracelets works against this; with no "give" the edges are constantly pressing into your skin if you elevate or hang your arm instead of slightly rotating away as the 5 digit links do. The slight flex of the 5 digit bracelets mean the full surface area of the link is always pressing on your skin no matter the position of your arm.

As far as durability it's a toss up. The newer bracelets may mitigate "stretch" but it's not the steel actually stretching but the pins bending and wearing out the holes and embedded grit also wearing out the holes. The bearing surfaces are the same. Durability of the cases are the same but the crown guards are actually too short now to really be functional.

I don't like the new clasp on the dive models but admit it's way more functional. The old dive extension was terrible but I prefer the aesthetic of the clasp. It's too bad they couldn't have met somewhere in the middle. The dive clasps are both too large yet don't provide sufficient adjustment to fit over a thick wetsuit or drysuit. Tudor has the best solution with the smaller
t-fit clasp and folding dive extension.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:39 PM   #110
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Gun to my head i’m going with 6 digit but there is a charm and character with 4/5 digits that will always appeal to me. (Sleeker proportions, chamfers, Patina, faded aluminum bezels, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:25 PM   #111
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Definitely. Rolex made a clear improvement to reduce or prevent stretch, and of course they made other improvements as well.

I'd respectfully suggest that it's too early to say anything conclusive about the separate but related question of long-term performance of the current bracelets vs. the older bracelets. That's just because we can't predict the future. Stretch in the older bracelets was never an issue until years into ownership, and then only with frequent wear. Similarly, none of us knows right now which bracelet or clasp components on our 6-digit models might commonly start to "fail" 20 years from now (I put "fail" in quotes because stretch isn't a catastrophic issue in the same way that having a pin or screw come out is).

The question of bracelet strength is an interesting one. Although it'd be an expensive test, I figured that by now, someone would've posted a video testing the strength of various old and new Rolex bracelets, say by comparing how much force it takes to pull apart the links on one bracelet vs. another. That'd be fun to watch, especially if clasps were attached too, to see what component fails first. I'd especially like to see how something like the 93150 performs relative to the current bracelets. I couldn't find anything, though.

Time is a fair point. We do need more time with the 6 digits. We also may not ever see the level of wear we used to. I wear a sub or an explorer. I’ll never go deeper than a bath tub, i don’t like the ocean, i am not a huge fan of hiking or getting dirty .

The 93150, for as flimsy as that clasp can feel at times, its rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:40 PM   #112
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
I absolutely love these two - great pictures as well. Add in a 16710 and this is a 5 digit threesome I’d like to keep. If I had genuine NOS though, I’d find it hard to wear them and not just admire them.

There’s not much to be said that hasn’t been said already and I definitely have a preference for aluminium bezels over ceramic - the one exception for me is the Daytona. In most models, I find the move to 6 digits left the 5 digits looking like classics in a good way. In the Daytona, it made the 5 digits look a bit old fashioned or outdated as if they should always have had a ceramic bezel. (Or at least a bezel that wasn’t polished…)
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:44 PM   #113
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post

One poster made the point that when Rolex moved to stiffer, heavier bracelets they introduced a new problem and that was comfort. The 5-digit bracelets have some give to them. I actually think they put a lot of thought into the design. They are oddly "grippy" too; a quality I attribute to slight flex of the links that means they are less likely to slide around when worn comfort loose. The rigidity of the 6 digit bracelets works against this; with no "give" the edges are constantly pressing into your skin if you elevate or hang your arm instead of slightly rotating away as the 5 digit links do. The slight flex of the 5 digit bracelets mean the full surface area of the link is always pressing on your skin no matter the position of your arm.
Well-explained write-up. This is why I prefer the 5 digit bracelets over the 6. And, for me, the clasps, as simple as they may be, are ~1mm or more thinner, which helps a lot when typing on a key board or just not rubbing the clasp on things.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote