The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 August 2024, 12:52 AM   #1
FL2024
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 214270
How does Cartier Santos stack up against Rolex?

I am almost certain the Santos will be my next purchase and first non-Rolex.

I have a few questions.

Is Santos on-par with Rolex of similar price point (let's say a Sub, Datejust, Explorer, etc...) in terms of prestige?

How recognizable is it compared to Rolex?

Lastly how is the quality and durability? I know Rolex can sustain rough use but how about the Santos?

Thanks.
FL2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 02:24 AM   #2
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I see Cartiers out and about often. Usually will see half a dozen at the mall. My AD has said he sells 30 per week on average. I have the mid size santos with diamond bezel. The bracelet design is very clever. Cartier service is the best. Especially at the boutique in NYC.

Cartier is Cartier. The moments in my experience with 3 are that they are very accurate. On a whole a would say in my opinion the build quality of Rolex is much higher.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 03:24 AM   #3
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I have the mid size SS Santos as well
I think it's one of the most comfortable watches I own.
I own several Rolex models from the Sub to the DD and I find myself wearing the Cartier quite a bit. It's a great watch for a lazy Sunday at home or dressed for a nice dinner out.
Cartier has always been relevant.

Actually I like the Santos so much I keep kicking around the idea of getting one in YG.

The new quick swap system for the bracelet is great, the only problem for me is I just like watches on bracelets more so I only put it on the strap once. It was so easy though!

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 05:29 AM   #4
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Another Medium Santos owner. I love mine. Very comfortable and as others have said, the quick change strap is great. I also have multiple Rolex watches and the Santos gets quite a bit of wrist time
Old 7 August 2024, 05:48 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2024 View Post
. . .

Is Santos on-par with Rolex of similar price point (let's say a Sub, Datejust, Explorer, etc...) in terms of prestige?

How recognizable is it compared to Rolex?

. . .
If you are looking for recognition, then no watch compares to a Rolex amongs the masses. It takes someone who actually knows what a Cartier or other high-end watch looks like to know what you are wearing.

Of course, many who know Rolex is a high end watch can't actually pick one out in a crowd, they just know the brand.

Cartier is a great watch and part of the Richemont Group.
Old 7 August 2024, 06:21 AM   #6
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Own a couple of Rolex and the large Santos. The versatility of the Santos is impressive. The ability to change the strap/bracelet with the quick switch system, as well as quick link with sizing it, A+ Personally I see myself wearing my Santos more than my Rolex. Brand recognition? I don’t think you could ever mistake a Cartier from anything else in general, they are known for their shapes. Build quality is great, I find them to punch higher than their weight with build, quality and price. I say go for it. My only issue before I got mine was whether I wanted to go with large or medium. I have to have a date function so I went with large. It wears so well that the large ended up fitting my wrist perfectly. Medium would have been a bit small for me. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2440.jpeg (93.3 KB, 237 views)
Old 7 August 2024, 07:54 AM   #7
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Cartier is apparently hot right now per Ben Clymer.

I have the TT medium. it's a beautiful watch and I think is way more elegant than any rolex. I think AP and Cartier make the best TT watches in the game. love the stainless steel and the gold screw/bolts

however, these are not as sturdy as Rolex of course, and the bezel on the Santos will scratch if you just look at it
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:21 AM   #8
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
and the bezel on the Santos will scratch if you just look at it
Which is the exclusive reason I don't own one yet. I really love the two tone, I just can't get myself to pull the trigger!
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:32 AM   #9
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Which is the exclusive I don't own one yet. I really love the two tone, I just can't get myself to pull the trigger!
Husband had the TT. Very nice.
Old 7 August 2024, 12:06 PM   #10
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
I see Cartiers out and about often. Usually will see half a dozen at the mall. My AD has said he sells 30 per week on average.
30 per week? Wow! That’s over 1500 per year. Is your AD a single store or does it have multiple locations? That’s a lot of watches, especially for only one model.
Copasetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 12:30 PM   #11
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

They are very nice but definitely won't be as robust as a Rolex.

I've come close to buying one a few times and my main issue is that they look quite a bit worse with some wear.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 03:36 PM   #12
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Which is the exclusive reason I don't own one yet. I really love the two tone, I just can't get myself to pull the trigger!
honestly I think it looks great once it's fully micro scratched and patina'd. it doesn't look great when it's semi new with only a hairline scratches that stick out....but once it's really worn and has dozens/hundreds of micro scratches...it looks pretty good.

in any case, the Santos go for a lot under retail from my knowledge and I think it's a great buy compared to basic rolex models like DJ, OP, and Subs
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 03:40 PM   #13
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
I have the Cartier Santos large amongst 4 Rolex watches.

The Santos gets worn the most, it is my daily. Primarily because it is un-Rolex. I don’t want conversations to happen daily in my work about my watch, I prefer the elegance of it, and it’s a chameleon when you change the strap from bracelet to leather to rubber.

I actually like the way the smooth bezel scratches and has its own charm and patina.
RoRoRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 07:42 PM   #14
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasetic View Post
30 per week? Wow! That’s over 1500 per year. Is your AD a single store or does it have multiple locations? That’s a lot of watches, especially for only one model.
That’s Cartier watches in general. Not the santos alone.
Old 7 August 2024, 09:40 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the Cartier Santo and most things about it. With that said, Rolex is the one for me. I would probably own the Cartier if I had an AD close by but I do not.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 05:34 AM   #16
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

My wife and I have had multiple Cartier watches over the years, but not (yet) a Santos. They have all be accurate, rugged, waterproof and fast and relatively inexpensive to service and the customer service is top notch.
DavidSB is offline   Reply With Quote