The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM   #481
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
Discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was fast....

Saw them in person today. Not my cup of tea - really wide and flat, so didn't register interest. Maybe better with smaller case sizes and I will wait for whatever comes next.

If anything, I do hope they go to happy collectors and not flippers, but I get a sense the first tranche will go to collectors - but I really don't believe this is a long term hold as many of us have a Nautilus in our hands which is far superior.

Pfang56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #482
INC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Ever since I saw this "thing" I've been wondering what this watch reminds me of? And I realized: this is the absolut Burtalist style of architecture, this watch looks like it was cast from solid concrete and later painted with yellow road lines.

It seems to me that they have picked up this style as a "retro" again, see also the AP case. Add to that the huge size, and if I were to see this watch on someone, I wouldn't feel that he was trying to express himself as a member of the upper class, a gentleman with an elegant and sophisticated style. On the contrary, I will feel that either he is as brutal inside as he shows on the outside, or he simply wants to compensate for one of his masculine small body part, like "I am the boss".

For me, this is not a simple elegant watch, but simply an expensive thing to watch.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #483
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

From the internets….

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM   #484
Uros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
Discount

Let me sell this asap and buy 5740:)

Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #485
D_Rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
From the internets….

This is so true!! lol.

D_Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #486
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Tudor kids grow up... some might become successful.

The situation with Jay Leno and Ferrari, or Mr Lamborghini and, yup, Enzo Ferrari. Not everyone goes right to a PP, though yes it may be far easier to skip one sector of consumer to focus on selling to the extremely wealthy who have no need for any waterproofing past 30m.

Focus the marketing plan, etc. The large size of the new Nautilus˛ series is great for some pro athletes who really 'need' larger sizing. I have friends that a 44mm looks like a 32mm on my 6.75" wrist.

Agreed, PP and Kid 'Tubers may be better suited with Tudor. Solid, very durable, 100m+ waterproofness, and some are even METAS certified. Active youth 'daily beater' needs are different than the ___ luxury consumption sector.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:32 AM   #487
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

If your entry watch is the Tudor, you are going to grow up into Rolex more than likely.

That being the case, who are we kidding. Ferrari will never make an "entry level" in the same way GM or Ford might make an entry level car. Entry level in that respect is in the $100k level.

So, there was never going to be an "affordable" Patek.

But I also didn't expect $40k and up. I also didn't expect another Nautilus derivative. That just wreaks of unoriginality, and frankly, the watch equivalent of trolling after years of Stern saying they are not the Nautilus company.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:00 AM   #488
financial_banalyst
"TRF" Member

Stern's comments in this Handelszeitung interview are... something (don't have the post count to link)

Like maybe something is getting lost in google-translation, but what other CEO would say (admit?) things like this? Makes Francois-Henry Bennahmias seem humble.

Quote:
Mr. Stern, the Cubitus is the first new collection of Patek Philippe in 25 years. What is your part in it?

100 percent.

At caliber like in design?

60 percent on the calibre and 100 percent of the design. I have been in charge of creation for a long time. I'm good at having any idea without really having an idea, I was never at a design school. But I grew up with the products and have a strength there. Why? I don't know, for me it was simply always easy to have ideas and go into the details.

That means you determine the design?

Yes, we are just four people who are working on it and thinking about it. At the caliber, I am in close contact with our plant boss Philip Barat.
And

Quote:
From criticism: The Cubitus was leaked two days before launch and triggered a shitstorm. What does it do with you?

I am used as I said, it doesn't matter to me. We will always be shot when we launch a novelty. The Haters are a large part of people who never had a Patek and will never have one. So that doesn't make me sorrow. What matters to me is the result. And I'm confident for the Cubitus, because I have a good nose and many professionals around me who told me that it will work.

Professionals from internal or market?

From internal. I don't go to customers with drafts and ask them for their opinion. Never. I don't work with external designers either. We did that, but it never worked. Moreover, I really have endless ideas. We recently had a session where 20 different models have come to play.
And finally...

Quote:
The steel model costs CHF 35,000. A mad price...

That was the declared goal of starting in this price range. This is a reasonable price for Patek. The Bi-Color costs 52,000 and the platinum of 75,000 francs. It has a complicated caliber with 104 additional components, and there is an enormous amount of work in the processing of the case.
financial_banalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #489
zabazja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by financial_banalyst View Post
Stern's comments in this Handelszeitung interview are... something (don't have the post count to link)
I am used as I said, it doesn't matter to me. We will always be shot when we launch a novelty. The Haters are a large part of people who never had a Patek and will never have one. So that doesn't make me sorrow. What matters to me is the result. And I'm confident for the Cubitus, because I have a good nose and many professionals around me who told me that it will work.
Wow, the arrogance. I went yesterday to a Patek store somewhere abroad, curious to see if they had one for display. Seller asked me what I think. I said I was disappointed and expected something else, but I wanted to see it irl to see what it’s like.

Seller was very defensive, almost offended. According to him it’s going to be a big hit, and it’s very special because of the polishing and thin size. I asked if it wears like a Octo finisomo, he said he never had seen that watch in person. Then he asked me if I own a Patek, when I said yes a callendar with the reference, the conversation was finished.

I’m still in the wait list for another Patek, but I’m getting less exited when seeing the direction the brand is going.
zabazja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #490
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

I've little or no chance of ever seeing one, our PP AD is on the next island.

But the more I see the more I like. Except the TT which the colouring mix just doesn't work for me.
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #491
so nice
"TRF" Member

"I don't work with external designers either. We did that, but it never worked"

Thierry Stern

You can't make this up it's so ridiculous! Thierry what about Gerald Genta, you know, the guy who's watch you made a square version of?
so nice is online now   Reply With Quote