The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 September 2024, 03:11 PM   #1
jwill
"TRF" Member

How hard is it to obtain a Platinum Ice Blue Daytona 126506?

I’m curious to know how long you waited from the authorized dealer? What kind of journey did you go on before the AD offered you one? Considering the retail and resale prices aren’t that much different compared to the steel models, I’m asking about the new 126 model with an exhibition case. Thank you.
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 03:24 AM   #2
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
You better become your AD best friend. Good luck
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 03:33 AM   #3
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Not easy - don't see many available even on the secondary mkt.

It's been on my "list" for almost 4 yrs now. One came in about 2 yrs ago at my AD but it went to someone with a higher spend history.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 03:51 AM   #4
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

I got offered one (walk in) at Geary's Beverly Hills on Rodeo Drive at the height of the pandemic (July 2020), but sadly didn't buy it.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 03:53 AM   #5
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Honestly, hardly anybody actually wants one (that has the money to buy it). The issue lies in the fact it truly truly is produced in low numbers. And Rolex stays on top of this with special models like this one. So demand still outnumbers supply.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 04:43 AM   #6
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Honestly, hardly anybody actually wants one (that has the money to buy it). The issue lies in the fact it truly truly is produced in low numbers. And Rolex stays on top of this with special models like this one. So demand still outnumbers supply.
What makes you think hardly anybody wants one when it's one of the more popular models that's on nearly everyones grail list?
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 04:53 AM   #7
jwill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansRolex View Post
What makes you think hardly anybody wants one when it's one of the more popular models that's on nearly everyones grail list?
It's a really beautiful timepiece and very unique. But justifying spending over 80k is difficult, as it's not on everyone's wishlist like steel models. That's why I'm very curious if they are truly hard to get.
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 04:54 AM   #8
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Ive been waiting for a bit now…not expecting to ever get one.
Old 16 September 2024, 05:00 AM   #9
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
It was on my list since 2019 but never materialized after 4 years. I subsequently removed it from my AD wish list because I have become less enamored with reference over time. I’m actually happy he didn’t source me one quickly because I would have probably regretted the purchase in hindsight.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 08:35 AM   #10
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tonas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Hardly anyone wants one?? Rubbish. Not as in demand as a SS Daytona but they are quite sought after
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 12:33 PM   #11
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I bet some ADs barely see these and they mainly trickle into the largest ADs with some big pocket clients. It’s a big spend so I’m guessing Rolex does limit their production to keep it exclusive.
BlondesNwatches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 12:41 PM   #12
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
Hardly anyone wants one?? Rubbish. Not as in demand as a SS Daytona but they are quite sought after
Comparatively speaking no it’s not. Seriously sorry but you don’t know what you’re talking about. Most ADs MIGHT have 2-3 serious clients who want one, but they usually won’t even get one per year. It’s almost a 6 figure watch, that is essentially just a precious metal $15k watch. The market for them is minuscule. Guys who can’t afford one (myself included) saying on an online forum they want one doesn’t equate to it actually being in demand.

Also to reiterate, I’m not going based off my opinion, I factually know this speaking to numerous ADs and sources. Just think about it, $100k is haute horology territory. Less than 1% of the population can even afford that to begin. Less than 1% of that 1% is going to want a Rolex and not something ‘upper echelon’ when throwing down that kind of money.

Not trying to call out your inexperience, but when steel Daytonas were still msrp or above ~2017, you could get a platinum Daytona under retail. It’s because the market for that type of buy is tiny.

But hey, whatever you want to think.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 07:00 PM   #13
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
I owned one which I was able to get at a discount. For me I wore it for four years while trying to ignore its heft. Ultimately, I let it go for others. I'm not certain what was more of an issue, my wondering eye for other pieces, it high value (significantly above msrp), or it heft or perhaps a combination of the three. I'm pretty certain that although some where these as a daily, it's kept more as a collectible.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 08:15 PM   #14
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
It’s like any harder to get reference … spend enough and one will magically appear
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 09:31 PM   #15
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I purchased the Platinum Daytona with the diamond markers and it just didn't work for me. Something about the brown, which I knew when I purchased it. From an AD, maybe, but they are not as desirable as some would make them out to be. Price and appearance probably play into that.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 01:14 AM   #16
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

I had a chance to buy one in 2014 for $65K and although I loved it, it was not in the budget at the time. They were available then.? I have not seen one at an AD since, so I believe that you must have a special relationship with the AD and maybe Rolex approval like off catalog piece.

They are not easy to get but ask the AD you buy from there is no harm. The worst thing they can say is NO.

There might be one out there with a AD that was not sold or the allocated buyer backed out, it happens. This is a very big boy or girl piece and not many can afford an almost six figure piece.

Happy Hunting,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 02:19 AM   #17
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’m in the camp that says there’s a limited market for these. Lower production/availability but less demand for $80K watches. I would suggest going in person to as many ADs as you can and tell them you’re a buyer, one of them will come through within a year is my guess.
People forget these were in the case just a few short years ago.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 03:10 AM   #18
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
How's your relationship with your AD?