The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 03:45 PM   #1
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Hands-on and first impression of the Cubitus collection

I tried on all 3 pieces at my AD earlier and here is my honest feedback. I tried on the green SS model first and it felt like a Nautilus, albeit with a wider case. The bracelet, bezel, dial, markers and hands are all Nautilus. L2L is ok but it is wide like a Santos large. For a collector who owns multiple Nautilus, this is an alternative that looks kind of different but the wider case will take some time getting used to.

IMG_20241018_131928_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg

Then I tried on the AR. This one has a vintage kind of look due to the 2-tone colours. This model reminds me of the discontinued 5980/1AR.

IMG_20241018_131915_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg

The platinum model with the grand date felt heavy on the wrist. It is to me the most interesting of the 3 due to the new big date and at first glance it reminds me of the 5712. The composite strap is ultra soft and it has a deployant clasp.

IMG_20241018_131902_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg
IMG_20241018_131854_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg

I get it why people hate on these 3 but these are not replacement for the Nautilus and Aquanaut models. They are complements to the existing Patek line up. For collectors who are not able to get their allocation of Nautilus and Aquanaut, these new models seems good alternatives. The Patek Regional Sales Manager was with me in the room and I shared with her my direct and honest views of these models. Patek is trying to hear from collectors their impressions of this new line.

Overall, I think it has all the components that make Nautilus successful, but collectors may need a period of adjustment with the wider case. I still prefer Nautilus over the Cubitus but who knows what happens later.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:59 PM   #2
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Thanks for adding pics. They do look large on your wrist to your point. Did you share the sizing aspect critical feedback with the manager?

You're right that they aren't replacements for the nautilus and aquanaut. They are different case sizes and dimensions. But they borrow too many elements from the nautilus - most prominently the case finishing, winglets, and ofcourse the dials.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:59 PM   #3
gm58
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the quick hands on photos! Overall not too bad on wrist it seems but definitely larger than its Nautilus counterparts? Seen some other side by side photos with 5711 vs 5821 and the cubitus seems to look larger.

The only thing I would say is that i wish they used a slightly different dial than the nautilus (apart from being square), it would really help the line to standout more and be different
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:02 PM   #4
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Thanks so much for posting your pix...and on a real wrist! Thanks for sharing your initial impressions, too.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:04 PM   #5
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine these would be any easier to get if you can't get a Nautilus or Aquanaut.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:13 PM   #6
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Michael, thanks for sharing...

IMHO look way to big on your wrist.... The Nautilus & Aquanaut look best on your wrist my friend...

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:25 PM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm58 View Post
Thanks for the quick hands on photos! Overall not too bad on wrist it seems but definitely larger than its Nautilus counterparts? Seen some other side by side photos with 5711 vs 5821 and the cubitus seems to look larger.

The only thing I would say is that i wish they used a slightly different dial than the nautilus (apart from being square), it would really help the line to standout more and be different
Yes the Cubitus appears larger and feels larger too thanks to the bigger width across the case. It's really like Santos large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine these would be any easier to get if you can't get a Nautilus or Aquanaut.
I'm not sure what's the production of Cubitus but I understand there are expressions of interest the entire morning by different customers. We will see how this one develops later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Michael, thanks for sharing...

IMHO look way to big on your wrist.... The Nautilus & Aquanaut look best on your wrist my friend...

Yes buddy, all watches look big on my tiny wrist. Below is the new 5980G which looks better for my wrist in comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20241018_142109_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg (177.4 KB, 119 views)
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #8
Mini2
"TRF" Member

I think these will do well but I think the ladies variants when they eventually come out will be a huge success. Smaller in size but in keeping with what we are use too currently by way of 40/42mm

I wonder will most ADs be doing events to showcase the new line in the coming weeks and stock landing I can imagine in the next week or so to good clients
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:47 PM   #9
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing these pics. I wish they had gone with a more interesting, perhaps rectangular, case shape. This does look blocky.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:50 PM   #10
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Thanks for taking the time to share those images. I quite like the annual calendar mechanism but to me the size is the deciding factor - even if could stretch to one!

https://www.patek.com/resources/img/...eo_1920@2x.jpg
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:51 PM   #11
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

2 more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20241018_145027_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg (207.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20241018_145010_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg (185.5 KB, 98 views)
Old Today, 04:56 PM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Thanks for taking the time to share those images. I quite like the annual calendar mechanism but to me the size is the deciding factor - even if could stretch to one!
This is not an AC but a DayDate with moon. L2L is fine though. Yesterday I was at IAMWATCH and I saw people wearing MB&F Horological Machine that are twice the size of their wrist. Ultimately it's up to individuals...
Old Today, 05:24 PM   #13
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Thanks for sharing the pictures, Michael.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:26 PM   #14
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the honest impressions.

I haven’t seen a single on-wrist shot that doesn’t look enormous and ungainly. The proportions are just completely wrong.

Personally I find myself disliking it more and more with each passing day.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:33 PM   #15
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: Golden Tuna
To me the 8 looks too far left and the 1 looks too high, making for quite a wonky-looking 18.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20241018_131902_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg (208.3 KB, 41 views)
Old Today, 05:47 PM   #16
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Thank you for sharing your first hand experience.

Afraid this one is going to remain “slept on” for me.
Old Today, 05:53 PM   #17
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing, very helpful to see!
Old Today, 06:38 PM   #18
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

As a ladies watch it works extremely well although maybe too big in this version but as a gents watch it's erring towards dress more than sports and in that setting they work well.
RichardBartlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:39 PM   #19
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
To me the 8 looks too far left and the 1 looks too high, making for quite a wonky-looking 18.

The disc with the 1 on it looks like it just needs to rotate a little more clockwise to bring it into proper alignment.

I think the date only version on a bracelet looks great and from the leaks didn’t expect to feel this way.

Thanks for sharing the wrist shots OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:50 PM   #20
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Some like the AP [RE]Master some don't. This watch has a "horizontal" profile and I quite like it. Everyone has different taste that's all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20241018_164832_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg (85.5 KB, 0 views)
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #21
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Some like the AP [RE]Master some don't. This watch has a "horizontal" profile and I quite like it. Everyone has different taste that's all.
Like many of the avant garde designer. This is nice looking. Not sure how well it fits on the wrist?

Perhaps there is a reason the conventional round shape became the standard?
Old Today, 07:11 PM   #22
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
This is not an AC but a DayDate with moon. L2L is fine though. Yesterday I was at IAMWATCH and I saw people wearing MB&F Horological Machine that are twice the size of their wrist. Ultimately it's up to individuals...
Indeed - a day date. Presumable an AC requires more space.

Did you take a look at the strap? I added a thread enquiring about the material used which appears to imply a virtuous non-animal variety?
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:18 PM   #23
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Like many of the avant garde designer. This is nice looking. Not sure how well it fits on the wrist?
I tried once at the AP Boutique and it is huge, even bigger than the Cubitus if my memory served me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Indeed - a day date. Presumable an AC requires more space.

Did you take a look at the strap? I added a thread enquiring about the material used which appears to imply a virtuous non-animal variety?
The strap is super soft. Top side feels like fabric while underside feels soft to touch. I have no idea what composite component that is.
Old Today, 07:37 PM   #24
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for sharing these early views and pictures on this new range.

Does remind me of a Santos, I do admire that but it isn't for me. Square steel watches just generally dont do it for me. I think this is really quite large, a Patek trend as of late.

I should reserve full judgement until I try it on. If it achieves anything, I hope it just make this whole hype situation much easier. I hope Patek can make these, give them to people who only care about hype steel Nautilus. If it eases some pressure on the rest of the line then fantastic.
bp1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:29 PM   #25
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing these early views and pictures on this new range.

Does remind me of a Santos, I do admire that but it isn't for me. Square steel watches just generally dont do it for me. I think this is really quite large, a Patek trend as of late.

I should reserve full judgement until I try it on. If it achieves anything, I hope it just make this whole hype situation much easier. I hope Patek can make these, give them to people who only care about hype steel Nautilus. If it eases some pressure on the rest of the line then fantastic.
I agree with this sentiment, I too hope this reduces the "hype" further to a certain degree, making it somewhat easier for the genuine collectors.
Old Today, 08:47 PM   #26
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Just goes to show how difficult it is to come up with an appealing new watch design. for the 5905/1A Patek borrowed the Aquanaut bracelet. For this PP drafted the 5711/1A bracelet and clipped the corners of the Santos case.
According to Clymer "the Cubitus collection is fully designed through 2039" which means a lot but I'm not sure what.
For owners of the Aquanaut and Nautilus it's time to kick back and enjoy the finest sports design that Patek is going market for a long time.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote