The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 03:34 AM   #121
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Pics can be misleading but in this photo from the German forum the 5821 seems to wear a lot larger than 5711.
By about 2X, LOL
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:17 AM   #122
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Re pricing of Cubitus, I would like to offer my perspective.

The cheapest men's Nautilus with bracelet in the collection is the 5712/1A at S$75,100. Obviously the 5712 has moonphase and power reserve and it is the more complicated watch. The 5821/1A is priced at S$59,700 and it will be the cheapest Nautilus by some 20% margin if it is listed as part of the Nautilus collection. The 5711 has been discontinued for more than 3 years and it will not be fair to compare apple-to-apple due to annual adjustments. The price of the 5726/1A has increased by 25% over the same time period. For precious metal Nautilus, my wife 7118 and my 5740 have both increased by 21-25% over the same time period.

For 5822P, the last platinum Nautilus (5711/1P) was released in 2016 (8 years ago) and the retail price was S$149,300. The 5711/1P is a limited edition and has a bracelet but the 5822P has grand date, day and moonphase. For annual adjustments, the price of the 5712/1A has increased approximately 80+% from 2016 to 2024. Comparing the price of the 5822P (S$128,000) to 8-year-old 5711/1P (S$149,300) and 2024 5811/1G (S$104,600), does that still sound exorbitant to you?

I like the cubitius. It does wear on the big side with how wide the watch is. I got a chance to try it on at my AD, they had said they aren’t allowing pictures so didn’t get a chance to snap one.

I didn’t put in a request for it since I don’t like it enough, and I do think the price is too high.

- I’m looking more at the time/date only Cubitius. $41k for a time/date is really pushing it.
- The 5712 which a micro rotor and moonphase with power reserve is $51k.
- The recently discounted 5164a was $41k. It was on rubber, but it had a really nice dual time complication.
- An AP RO time/date is $27k. It’s 50% more than an equivalent AP.

I think an acceptable price if Patek was pushing prices up (which of course makes sense) would’ve been $35k or $37k. But $41k for steel time/date?

My guess is that Cubitius will be produced in very low volumes for a few years and the MSRP will rise slower than the rest of the collection. Patek can’t ever reduce prices, so this is the only way to correct this mistake.
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:26 AM   #123
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Square watches wear much larger than round watches of tge same diameter, so it quite a bot larger than a 5711. I wish they had just updated the 5711 and raised the retail a bit. At this price point an AP Royal Oak would be my first pick. I am sure it will enjoy commercial success though. I have a 40mm Santos and I love it.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #124
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
5711 vs 5821 courtesy of @swisswatches
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20241022_095354_(750_x_950_pixel).jpg (217.6 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20241022_095417_(950_x_750_pixel).jpg (173.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20241022_095410_(950_x_750_pixel).jpg (146.6 KB, 123 views)
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:57 AM   #125
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:

The 5711 looks so much nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:00 PM   #126
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to those who hate the Cutibus for these photo bombs
Old Today, 12:01 PM   #127
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
The 5711 looks so much nicer.
If I can't get an allocation of the green 5711, the 5821 is not a bad alternative.
Old Today, 12:16 PM   #128
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get it why people hate on these 3 but these are not replacement for the Nautilus and Aquanaut models. They are complements to the existing Patek line up. For collectors who are not able to get their allocation of Nautilus and Aquanaut, these new models seems good alternatives.
My understanding was that this will actually make allocation worse.
That production will be split between the 3 models. Meaning there will be fewer Aquanauts or Nautilus watches available.
For example, if they made 300 Aquanaut and Nautilus watches before, they will now make 300 Cubitus, Aquanaut and Nautilus watches. Cutting production by a 3rd.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 PM   #129
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
My understanding was that this will actually make allocation worse.
That production will be split between the 3 models. Meaning there will be fewer Aquanauts or Nautilus watches available.
For example, if they made 300 Aquanaut and Nautilus watches before, they will now make 300 Cubitus, Aquanaut and Nautilus watches. Cutting production by a 3rd.
That's not my understanding. Based on what the Patek Regional Sales Manager told me, total Patek production remains unchanged, and the Cubitus production will be sliced from existing models. Whether Cubitus is sliced from Nautilus, Aquanaut, Calatrava, Complications or Grand Complications, she did not share and I did not ask.
Old Today, 12:32 PM   #130
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Mind you, I love the Patek 5135 Gondolo Calendario, so the Cubitus to me at least, looks great.

I like it....
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:33 PM   #131
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I tried on all 3 pieces at my AD earlier and here is my honest feedback. I tried on the green SS model first and it felt like a Nautilus, albeit with a wider case. The bracelet, bezel, dial, markers and hands are all Nautilus. L2L is ok but it is wide like a Santos large. For a collector who owns multiple Nautilus, this is an alternative that looks kind of different but the wider case will take some time getting used to.

Then I tried on the AR. This one has a vintage kind of look due to the 2-tone colours. This model reminds me of the discontinued 5980/1AR.

The platinum model with the grand date felt heavy on the wrist. It is to me the most interesting of the 3 due to the new big date and at first glance it reminds me of the 5712. The composite strap is ultra soft and it has a deployant clasp.

I get it why people hate on these 3 but these are not replacement for the Nautilus and Aquanaut models. They are complements to the existing Patek line up. For collectors who are not able to get their allocation of Nautilus and Aquanaut, these new models seems good alternatives. The Patek Regional Sales Manager was with me in the room and I shared with her my direct and honest views of these models. Patek is trying to hear from collectors their impressions of this new line.

Overall, I think it has all the components that make Nautilus successful, but collectors may need a period of adjustment with the wider case. I still prefer Nautilus over the Cubitus but who knows what happens later.
Thank you for sharing this, Michael. Ultimately I see this as an opportunity for new clients to [hopefully] get their hands on a next-gen Nautilus, if I may call it that. And for existing clients to complement their existing Nautilus collection…although besides the green dial I would still prefer to wear Nautilus, same as you. Regardless, I’m curious if you got any insight on why the steel piece is priced as it is compared to any entry Nautilus. I don’t know what the 5711 msrp was at discontinuation, so perhaps it had reached this level. But is there something more to movement or finishing to support pricing?
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:58 PM   #132
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Mind you, I love the Patek 5135 Gondolo Calendario, so the Cubitus to me at least, looks great.

I like it....
The 5135 is a lovely looking watch in my view
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #133
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Thank you for sharing this, Michael. Ultimately I see this as an opportunity for new clients to [hopefully] get their hands on a next-gen Nautilus, if I may call it that. And for existing clients to complement their existing Nautilus collection…although besides the green dial I would still prefer to wear Nautilus, same as you. Regardless, I’m curious if you got any insight on why the steel piece is priced as it is compared to any entry Nautilus. I don’t know what the 5711 msrp was at discontinuation, so perhaps it had reached this level. But is there something more to movement or finishing to support pricing?
I have shared my thoughts on the Cubitus pricing here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=109

I'm comparing it against a Nautilus because the Cubitus is effectively a larger Nautilus. It is still expensive relative to other simple 3 hander but the Nautilus bracelet is a beauty and involves higher level of finishing
Old Today, 01:49 PM   #134
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Love to see some pics side-by-side with the Cartier Santos

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:15 PM   #135
Cru Jones

Quote:
Sorry to those who hate the Cutibus for these photo bombs

Fantastic set of photos.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #136
Uros
"TRF" Member

Thanks to photos! Again have to ask myself what were they thinking making uglier nautilus clone. But ok time will tell guess i am probably missing something.

Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:19 PM   #137
Ellz
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks as always Michael for your input,photos, answering so many of our questions and always doing in a classy, cool headed, courteous, professional, and very compassionate to all sides! Thanks!
Ellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 PM   #138
ts3
"TRF" Member

Great shots, thanks for posting those.

Just to add, wondering about the wrist size of the photo person. Seems quite a bit larger than my 6.6 inch when I compare the down the barrel shot with how 5711 wears on me.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:23 PM   #139
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have shared my thoughts on the Cubitus pricing here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=109

I'm comparing it against a Nautilus because the Cubitus is effectively a larger Nautilus. It is still expensive relative to other simple 3 hander but the Nautilus bracelet is a beauty and involves higher level of finishing
But the Cubitus is a regular model. THe 5711/1P was most likely limited production?
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:45 PM   #140
bob101
"TRF" Member

As suspected it wears too big and wide - if it was a little smaller and the movement fit the case back I may have been interested. I’m sure it will sell plenty with the younger generation but I’d always take an aquanaut or a nautilus over it for the money. I’d also take a calatrava such as a 5212 over it also and save a bit if had to choose. A more comfortable wear for me but that’s just my two cents.

Cant fault the finishing and the AD was very keen to hear constructive feedback. Honestly if it was a bit smaller and I was looking for a more quirky case I may consider it. I like a gondolo so that would probably take preference such as a blue dial small seconds or a classic ellipse.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:05 PM   #141
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros View Post
Thanks to photos! Again have to ask myself what were they thinking making uglier nautilus clone. But ok time will tell guess i am probably missing something.

Personally, I quite like the Cubitus's case/bracelet integration with very short lugs compared to the Nautilus's longer/more pronounced lugs. I also like the straight lines of the case. Somehow it feels more modern compared to the Nautlius, but maybe that's also because I've seen the Nautilus for a really long time.

For me, the Cubitus takes some design cues from the Genta era but further differentiates Patek from the RO, Laureato, Ingenieur and other luxury integrated bracelet watches. Could it have been a couple mm less wide? Yes, IMHO. But it's not a horrible nightmare like some internet warriors make it out to be, IMO.
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #142
bob101
"TRF" Member

Yes it’s not that bad just not something that would be high up on my list. I also mentioned the date window looks really too small for the dial on the time date versions. I quite like date window on the grand date.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:10 PM   #143
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Thanks for the photos and comments!

I’d be interested in a far away wrist shot (as what people see daily), find close up shots on wrist always make the watch look much bigger than what is normally observed..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:16 PM   #144
MangoTree1
"TRF" Member

Love the Cubitus, but hope to get a 5811 first!
MangoTree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:52 PM   #145
ndirish2001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's not my understanding. Based on what the Patek Regional Sales Manager told me, total Patek production remains unchanged, and the Cubitus production will be sliced from existing models. Whether Cubitus is sliced from Nautilus, Aquanaut, Calatrava, Complications or Grand Complications, she did not share and I did not ask.

Somewhere Stern stated that 40% of Patek production volume is on its sports lines and that the Cubitus wouldn’t change that—which obviously means that Cubitus volume will come at the expense of the Nautilus and the Aquanaut.
ndirish2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:01 PM   #146
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirish2001 View Post
Somewhere Stern stated that 40% of Patek production volume is on its sports lines and that the Cubitus wouldn’t change that—which obviously means that Cubitus volume will come at the expense of the Nautilus and the Aquanaut.
I think he was referring to stainless steel percentage and not sport percentage. 40% is high I don't think the figure is correct. Last I read was 30% SS.

Nautilus is going precious metal, so there is now room for Cubitus to grow.
Old Today, 10:47 PM   #147
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirish2001 View Post
Quote:
I think he was referring to stainless steel percentage and not sport percentage. 40% is high I don't think the figure is correct. Last I read was 30% SS.

Nautilus is going precious metal, so there is now room for Cubitus to grow.

According to a 2019 Hodinkee article titled "Why Patek Philippe's Thierry Stern Is Stubborn About Steel" (click here), the SS production is 25-30%, with a significant portion of that being made up of the ladies' Twenty-4 collection, not the mens' watches. So, one can assume Cubitus will be quite limited....

Relevant text copied-and-pasted below:
Patek Philippe does not say how many Nautiluses it makes. However, its policy is to limit its entire steel-watch production to 25% to 30% of its total production. "We say this is the maximum number of steel watches that Patek Philippe should produce every year, and we are going to stick to that," Stern says.

The majority of the steel-watch output consists of its ladies' Twenty-4 collection. For that, quantities can vary slightly. "With the Twenty-4, the quartz and now the automatic, I say, okay, we can open [the tap] a little bit more."

But for men's watches, especially the Nautilus, the limits are strict. Stern and his brain trust made that decision some years ago when demand for the Nautilus started to surge, Stern says. "We said, 'Uh-oh, we have to watch out.' That's when we said, 'This is the max.'" Patek Philippe dealers say they are lucky to get two a year. Some get none.
Old Today, 11:10 PM   #148
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellz View Post
Thanks as always Michael for your input,photos, answering so many of our questions and always doing in a classy, cool headed, courteous, professional, and very compassionate to all sides! Thanks!

Much agreed.

Michael - I’m curious your thoughts about the SS pricing, I posted mine in an earlier post as I’d consider that model. I know you provided your input on the platinum Cubitius, which I agree with.
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote