The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 July 2024, 12:58 AM   #31
Jaegodylan
"TRF" Member

Here’s a weird one cheap on the Bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186576728313
Jaegodylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2024, 04:24 PM   #32
orly
"TRF" Member

Is it possible to tell if this one has been relumed (see video attached as well)? The hands are a slightly off shade but it could possibly be service hands? All I can ascertain is that the bracelet is a modern 90s Tudor and that the crystal may be an aftermarket replacement.

https://www.jackroad.co.jp/shop/g/g4692070/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20240729-WA0003.jpg (198.7 KB, 87 views)
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 VID-20240729-WA0008.mp4 (1.73 MB, 1 views)
orly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 04:54 AM   #33
Dom9
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600 & 9411
Crown looks huge as well!
Old 30 July 2024, 07:01 AM   #34
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly View Post
Is it possible to tell if this one has been relumed (see video attached as well)? The hands are a slightly off shade but it could possibly be service hands? All I can ascertain is that the bracelet is a modern 90s Tudor and that the crystal may be an aftermarket replacement.

https://www.jackroad.co.jp/shop/g/g4692070/

That is super luminova. It is a service dial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30 July 2024, 09:19 AM   #35
orly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
That is super luminova. It is a service dial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're sure it is? The seller is just using a UV light in the photo and video?
Old 30 July 2024, 09:21 AM   #36
orly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom9 View Post
Crown looks huge as well!
As in, unusually large? Meaning it looks off?
Old 31 July 2024, 05:52 AM   #37
Dom9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As in, unusually large? Meaning it looks off?
Yes - I don't have the eyes for it on the laptop but it seems to have some serious girth, like a 704 vs 702.

I don't think that is a Luminova service dial. I have one and it is marked "Prince Date" and "Swiss Made", whereas that is a "Prince Oysterdate" and "T-SWISS-T"...

Albeit I originally thought it was SL Service, but I think it is way the black light appears very 'blue' on the very white plots.

Unless of course there is another style of Lumi Service dial, which is entirely possible of course (or a re-lume).

Could do with better shots to be honest. If I can't tell what crown it is; I have no hope of checking the dial!
Old 31 July 2024, 08:10 AM   #38
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
IMG_0480.jpeg
Quote:
i could stretch it to that right now, but on my watch collecting journey, i've tried to always wait it out and look for well priced watches that are in the condition that i want. Sometimes, i've ponied up and paid over market just because of condition but unless a piece really speaks to me, i won't do so. And yep, i do like the aesthetics of a snowflake over the more neo-vintage models following it.
I’ve posted a picture of the one I bought via Leonard Joel’s in Melbourne they are a really good auction house that I’ve used over the years. They recently had an unbelievable sale of ex military watches with a Tudor MN going for a bargain price so they are out there. Watch vault in Melbourne is another place that have been known to sell the odd one from time to time.
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 10:24 AM   #39
orly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes - I don't have the eyes for it on the laptop but it seems to have some serious girth, like a 704 vs 702.

I don't think that is a Luminova service dial. I have one and it is marked "Prince Date" and "Swiss Made", whereas that is a "Prince Oysterdate" and "T-SWISS-T"...

Albeit I originally thought it was SL Service, but I think it is way the black light appears very 'blue' on the very white plots.

Unless of course there is another style of Lumi Service dial, which is entirely possible of course (or a re-lume).

Could do with better shots to be honest. If I can't tell what crown it is; I have no hope of checking the dial!
I think you're right with the comment on the crown's proportion (bottom is from Hodinkee)! That was a great spot. I'm not sure what's going on with that, maybe an incorrect replacement crown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picsart_24-07-31_08-19-13-597.jpg (157.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 31 July 2024, 09:29 PM   #40
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you're right with the comment on the crown's proportion (bottom is from Hodinkee)! That was a great spot. I'm not sure what's going on with that, maybe an incorrect replacement crown.
the bottom has an earlier 702 crown. Its shaped slightly differently to a 703 which I think is what is on the top pic.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 10:33 PM   #41
orly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
the bottom has an earlier 702 crown. Its shaped slightly differently to a 703 which I think is what is on the top pic.
But both are correct?
Old 1 August 2024, 02:39 AM   #42
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Genuine Tudor 94110?

Your not going to get out of paying the piper for a truly nice 94110

If you buy a lesser than example, and you need to sell it one day you will remember my advice. JP (Springer) told me exactly this 6 years ago, you end up spending the same amount in the end. I didn’t listen, and I have spent fking thousands and thousands of dollars by not buying the right one the first time.

The dial is the watch, it’s the most important thing. A service dial watch is a project watch for most ppl.

Margins on vintage watches are razor thin, many dealers only make $500-1000 per watch. They may make a little more on trade ins, I had a pretty damn nice blue 94110 that I wanted to trade on a much nicer black one & a well known wheeler and dealer who I bought the blue 94110 from wouldn’t take it back in trade because it’s too hard to sell the non minty ones. I had spent $1000-1200 fixing it up too.

There are no good deals in vintage, only fair deals unless you are super sharp or lucky. The dealers, movers and shakers get the deals usually. I just want to see you make a good purchase. This is the last time I tell you lol.
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2024, 02:52 AM   #43
orly
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the advice tekno and I understand where you're coming from. It's also an exercise to educate myself on what to look out for so that in the future, I can quickly identify the ones worth pursuing. I personally don't mind service dials with the warm cream patina like this example and prefer them to the ones where the paint is bubbling. The ones which I don't like are the ones where it's completely white and appear brand new and same goes for the service insert bezels.
Old 1 August 2024, 02:58 AM   #44
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
I think the way to go is find a nice head only, and buy a 78500 from a Tudor dealer.

If I have time I’ll look around for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2024, 03:06 AM   #45
orly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
I think the way to go is find a nice head only, and buy a 78500 from a Tudor dealer.

If I have time I’ll look around for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Appreciate it mate. Thanks to the feedback from the forum members and yourself, I'm inching closer to finding an example that I'm happy with. If you don't mind, I'll send you a PM after I've done some preliminary checks on one that I'm currently considering to get your opinion?
Old 1 August 2024, 04:59 AM   #46
Dom9
"TRF" Member

I know of a couple coming onto the market that should be priced very fairly, from a vintage dealer who often sells on VRF. I bought my 76100 from him; great service! Will post here when they appear!
Old 1 August 2024, 09:59 AM   #47
orly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know of a couple coming onto the market that should be priced very fairly, from a vintage dealer who often sells on VRF. I bought my 76100 from him; great service! Will post here when they appear!
Thanks for that! 😊