The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2024, 11:11 AM   #1
cal14
"TRF" Member

No Purchase History, First Boutique Visit

What is realistic to ask for in the RO and ROO lines that I will actually get offered within a year?
cal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 11:20 AM   #2
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Most likely nothing for RO. Perhaps a ROO diver or a 43mm.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 11:25 AM   #3
cal14
"TRF" Member

Thought as much
Old 9 August 2024, 11:31 AM   #4
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal14 View Post
What is realistic to ask for in the RO and ROO lines that I will actually get offered within a year?
What I have found a good strategy to be is to put down a list of two maybe three except for me I put down a list of 12 that I'm interested in and then I went into my ad with my list and ask them if they could consider me for any of these. And they're in no particular order and however they decide to distribute their allotments I totally understand that's their choice and I would appreciate it if they might keep me in mind. Of course that's after I have convinced them I'm not a flipper I will buy and keep for the rest of my life and then pass on to my progeny. For me if I buy a watch that I Tire of I consider myself fortunate that I now have this watch in my collection and I go to a different one in my collection or perhaps I seek a new one to purchase. But one thing for me that I will not do is sell a watch I am a collector!
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 11:34 AM   #5
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

anything is possible imo. prices continue to decline so I think it's worth asking for a RO as your first watch. next year is 150th anniversary so it might increase demand slightly, but I don't think it's enough to offset the global decline...so on the balance, this is "good" news for watch enthusiasts who want an RO. obviously bad for those who want to "invest" in a watch and hoping to make huge gains flipping or even holding a few years.

in terms of which RO, I assume you are not a woman so I won't mention the 34 or some of the more feminine 37 options with diamonds. but I think any non-blue/green dials in 37 or 41 is possible as a first watch. 41 ROC might be possible too, and maybe even 38 unless they discontinue that next year and replace with in-house movements next year.

as for ROO, I think pretty much all the models except certain "hot" pieces are obtainable (LE, ceramic beast, collabs) might be hard to get, but Divers, 43 chronos, and perhaps even the beast should be possible.

since you're in the bay, if you haven't made contact yet with any of the socal locations, I highly recommend the House since one of their main KPIs is attracting new clients..it's also a beautiful space to check out and well worth a trip from bay.

I would also like to say that it's ridiculous that there are 3 boutiques in socal and 2 in Vegas when there are 0 in Bay Area lol. valley fair or Stanford mall would be perfect for a boutique
In-N-Out is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 11:38 AM   #6
abrosz
"TRF" Member

Don’t waste your time. Per Natalie, the manager at the NYC flagship North America boutique, new clients will not be offered anything with a blue dial or green dial, they will not be offered anything in ceramic or open works, they will not be offered an ultra thin, and AP considers itself a steel company (implication being you can forget about anything in precious metals.). About the only RO she indicated MIGHT be a possibility would be a gray dial 41 mm. Additionally, purchasing a Code IS NOT a guarantee you’ll ever be offered what you want. Why spend $50k on a Code that sells for $30k secondary market if you may never be offered what you want. Go secondary market and get what you want, when you want without the sleazy and gross games.
abrosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:01 PM   #7
cal14
"TRF" Member

Was thinking about requesting the diver with a green or blue dial, or the new rubber bezel time only
Old 9 August 2024, 12:10 PM   #8
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrosz View Post
Don’t waste your time. Per Natalie, the manager at the NYC flagship North America boutique, new clients will not be offered anything with a blue dial or green dial, they will not be offered anything in ceramic or open works, they will not be offered an ultra thin, and AP considers itself a steel company (implication being you can forget about anything in precious metals.). About the only RO she indicated MIGHT be a possibility would be a gray dial 41 mm. Additionally, purchasing a Code IS NOT a guarantee you’ll ever be offered what you want. Why spend $50k on a Code that sells for $30k secondary market if you may never be offered what you want. Go secondary market and get what you want, when you want without the sleazy and gross games.

Sorry, but I find this comical...you're pissed because they won't offer you an openwork, ceramic, ultra thin, or blue/green dial RO as your first piece?
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:52 PM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Sorry, but I find this comical...you're pissed because they won't offer you an openwork, ceramic, ultra thin, or blue/green dial RO as your first piece?
don't bother...that guy's a broken record lol
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 01:32 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I waited for the blue ROC for 7 years and got it last October. Pure bliss when I received the watch.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 01:55 PM   #11
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:

I think most from the ROO line will be very doable within the first year, possibly within 6 months even.

I don't think an RO is completely out of the question if you really hit it off with your SA. I wouldn't we discouraged by what you read. I've seen collectors get an RO as their first piece plenty of times.

If you are looking to collect multiple AP's over time including really difficult pieces, starting a relationship is worth while. If you are just looking to get that one RO, then going grey will be your best bet. Wishing you the best of luck and hope to see an incoming thread sooner than later!
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 04:47 PM   #12
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
But, but, what if he really really wants one? Shouldn't that move him ahead of people who have been clients for many years?

For OP, I would go in and have a list of ROOs that I like and maybe one or the other RO/ROC as a stretch goal.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 05:24 PM   #13
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
No one can say for definite, but make an appointment, go in, introduce yourself, let them know what you’d realistically like and keep in touch. A ROO won’t be an issue and I’d be positive about a RO being possible within a year.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 03:49 AM   #14
cal14
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the amazing feedback and context. I'm going to take a shot at the new blue rubber bezel ROO. I genuinely love everything about it! Would also be happy with a green or blue dial ROO diver. I intend to buy multiple pieces over time and am not planning on ever selling anything, so these seem like good watches to start with. Love how distinct they are. They will definitely add something new and different to my overall collection.
Old 10 August 2024, 04:06 AM   #15
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Thank you all for the amazing feedback and context. I'm going to take a shot at the new blue rubber bezel ROO. I genuinely love everything about it! Would also be happy with a green or blue dial ROO diver. I intend to buy multiple pieces over time and am not planning on ever selling anything, so these seem like good watches to start with. Love how distinct they are. They will definitely add something new and different to my overall collection.

Sounds like you are on a right track. Don't know if you plan on driving or flying. Both south coast and the house is amazing. LA House have their own private gated parking btw.
Old 11 August 2024, 07:16 AM   #16
cal14
"TRF" Member

Is the taupe chronograph a realistic ask for a first piece?
Old 11 August 2024, 08:27 AM   #17
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep!
Old 11 August 2024, 09:07 AM   #18
EyeoftheTiger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes
EyeoftheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 11:43 AM   #19
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Why would they offer anything in ceramic or open works to a customer they don’t know? That wouldn’t make a lot of sense. AP considering themselves a SS company also very strange. I doubt you’re going to see anyone at AP write their company focus is mainly SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 01:33 PM   #20
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Sorry what do you mean by “AP considers itself a Steel company??” I’ve never heard this and they have numerous precious metal offerings.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 10:42 PM   #21
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Sorry what do you mean by “AP considers itself a Steel company??” I’ve never heard this and they have numerous precious metal offerings.
Even in the RO collection, less then 30% of the models are steel. So,
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 11:29 PM   #22
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post

No sense in disputing it... Next time I'll just make up statements as well without any attributable sources.

#AlternativeFacts
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 06:52 AM   #23
Rockland
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. It is discounted 20%+ in the grey market right now too. Great piece. I wear mine daily.
Rockland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 07:59 AM   #24
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

Depends on the boutique, but my buddy just got blue 15510 as his first AP. Wait about a year. Was offered grey dial earlier but waited for blue. I got a 15500 black as my first in 2021. This is in an EU boutique and they are very good working with the locals it seems.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2024, 05:48 PM   #25
benzng
"TRF" Member

how about

how about a RO perpetual as a first piece?
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote