The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 July 2024, 03:06 AM   #61
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t let a clerk take a photo with their personal phone of my ID. Then again I worked in a field of NDA, high security with very stringent credentials so I am extremely guarded of my personal information. It’s also just bad form to have a retailer ask to do this for just a watch. It’s not a good idea and I’ll leave it at that.
Old 9 July 2024, 03:08 AM   #62
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic View Post
I also would not allow a photo of my ID to just check inventory. Wouldn’t allow it in Mexico or in the US. If I am purchasing, then fine, I understand. Checking inventory… no way.
This to me is the issue also. If they had the watch and I wanted to purchase than yes, they can photo my ID. But to just check inventory when they may have no intent to sell anything before they check their stock. I would be leery also.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 04:13 AM   #63
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I wouldn’t let a clerk take a photo with their personal phone of my ID. Then again I worked in a field of NDA, high security with very stringent credentials so I am extremely guarded of my personal information. It’s also just bad form to have a retailer ask to do this for just a watch. It’s not a good idea and I’ll leave it at that.

Exactly. I'm also in an industry where I deal with PIN for clients every day. My PA DL has my street address, and age. Sorry, I'm not having some SA take a photo of that with his cell phone. It just says - here's the address of a guy with watches and other things to steal.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 05:04 AM   #64
IFlyPlanes
2024 Pledge Member

In SoCal they took a photo copy of my ID. They said it was to prevent reselling.
IFlyPlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 08:24 AM   #65
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
My AD (UK Goldsmiths c/o WoS) asked to see my ID when updating my profile, I had my driving license with me that day.

I obliged because:

- I have nothing to hide
- Goldsmiths SA's aren't working with the underground gangs to rob me when I get home
- We have privacy laws in the UK that prevent them from sharing things they shouldn't

I don't really get ppl getting their knickers in a twist about it, there are loads of instances where I've had to show ID for certain things, it really isn't that deep. Nobody from an AD is trying to steal your identity, put the tinfoil hat down

DL in virginia does not have ss#, so it’s one layer of protection against identity theft. Don’t know about other states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 08:47 AM   #66
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Could be a security procedure they have in place in case you just ran out of store with the watch. There might be cameras in the ceiling that would capture this but the photo with phone is interesting. Unless they use a business only phone for that.
This. It's not like you're going into the local Kohls and trying on another polo shirt.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 09:59 AM   #67
rover26c
2024 Pledge Member

Why would you worry about an SA taking photos of your DL, when all of the information on your DL is available online. Try google(ing) your first name and last name and it would appear on the inter-web! At least in the US.

For example, a couple years ago, when I filled out the “form” through an AD/boutique, I noticed the AD searched my LinkedIn profile. I found out through the feature “someone viewed my profile” and noticed the AD/boutique name.

rover26c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:24 AM   #68
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlx123 View Post
DL in virginia does not have ss#, so it’s one layer of protection against identity theft. Don’t know about other states.

No State in the US has the Social Security on the Drivers License. Everything on the Drivers License is available publicly.
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:34 AM   #69
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
People are too paranoid

Waaaayyy tooo paranoid!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:34 AM   #70
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
No State in the US has the Social Security on the Drivers License. Everything on the Drivers License is available publicly.
Not correct.
In Florida………….
“ The department automatically blocks personal information in all motor vehicle and driver license records that we maintain. You do not need to do anything to have your personal information protected.”
Old 9 July 2024, 11:37 AM   #71
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

At least in my drivers license, there’s an address and a DOB. That stuff is easily found with an internet search. Sure maybe somebody can’t search for your weight, but that’s a lie anyway, lol
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 01:17 PM   #72
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

Maybe it’s a tradition in Mexico to do this when they are going to sell you a Daytona?
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:47 PM   #73
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
It's really the stuff you don't know about that will freak you out the most...
This is so true...

Quote:
No State in the US has the Social Security on the Drivers License.
Not anymore. But they used to do this, in some states.

The only real PII on a DL is your birthdate. Which is also on your passport. And in about a million databases that have already been hacked.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote