The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 July 2024, 03:01 AM   #61
Lalo007
"TRF" Member

Just leave it! I think beat up Explorers are better with dings and scratches, gives it more character and an Explorer is a daily driver. I wear my two tone Explorer as a daily and I work construction. It has scratches and a ding on the gold bezel. I absolutely love the way it looks, its my favorite watch and will never polish it.
Lalo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 03:08 AM   #62
Neil McCauley
Banned

OP I found your solution!

Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 03:09 AM   #63
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
If nothing can be done I will sell the watch.

Sell it and buy an Invicta
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 03:27 AM   #64
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2024 View Post
Would this be something that could be blended in and polished out. I really do not want to laser weld for something so so tiny.

Are these tiny lug edge dings common or unusual???

If so can RSC just polish them out without distorting the case shape. If not, can I request the they do not polish the the lug edges but refinish elsewhere on the case?

I'm sure there has been success with things like this but we just do not hear about it. Can anyone share their experience or tell me what to expect? I am terrified of laser welding and using non-rsc repairs. If nothing can be done I will sell the watch.

Thank you
Genuinely don’t intend to sound mean but these types of posts are truly comical while simultaneously quite sad.

It’s a watch, worn on the wrist. It will get dings, scratches, and so on. All of which can be very easily repaired.

I genuinely think anyone feeling as you do over this really needs a wake up call on what is truly important in life. In addition, should not buy a Rolex. It’s like my recent trip with my brand new LV carry on, that got gauged from one end to the other simply from placing it in the overhead. I looked at it and chuckled. It will be a lot worse if I check it in. It’s luggage. Will get damaged. Damage shows I use it as intended. BTW, cost me relatively not much less than your Explorer.

I pray this is the worse you experience in life as health and family far exceed any material goods. They can’t be easily repaired or replaced.
Old 6 July 2024, 03:38 AM   #65
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Genuinely don’t intend to sound mean but these types of posts are truly comical while simultaneously quite sad.

It’s a watch, worn on the wrist. It will get dings, scratches, and so on. All of which can be very easily repaired.

I genuinely think anyone feeling as you do over this really needs a wake up call on what is truly important in life. In addition, should not buy a Rolex. It’s like my recent trip with my brand new LV carry on, that got gauged from one end to the other simply from placing it in the overhead. I looked at it and chuckled. It will be a lot worse if I check it in. It’s luggage. Will get damaged. Damage shows I use it as intended. BTW, cost me relatively not much less than your Explorer.

I pray this is the worse you experience in life as health and family far exceed any material goods. They can’t be easily repaired or replaced.
This - attending a colleague's funeral today. Passed unexpectedly at an early age.

Life is too short to worry about cosmetic issues on a material item
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 04:09 AM   #66
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
OP I found your solution!

LOL. I was going to suggest one of those sports sweat bands over it, but thought it would be a little mean….

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 04:19 AM   #67
StuartG

“Terrified” ???
I’ve seen dust specks bigger than that. Calm down and enjoy your watch!
StuartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 04:49 AM   #68
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

5 threads about the same thing in 1 week, yikes
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 04:52 AM   #69
horizo
Banned

Follow your heart, how many of the commenters would suddenly change their tune when looking to buy a watch? Condition is paramount for most watch collectors but originality is too, avoiding major lug rounding is likely more important than removing small nicks.

It all revolves around your own comfort level. Your feeling, your watch, your enjoyment and your money, forget the judgement of others.
horizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 05:19 AM   #70
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Sell the Rolex and buy a $10 plastic watch from a supermarket.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 08:17 AM   #71
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think people have been fairly harsh to the OP here. While most people would not let their own wear and tear affect their enjoyment of their luxury timepiece it’s not true for everyone.

For some even the smallest scratch can cause anxiety and a larger scratch could be almost as bad as the results of nuclear warfare or genocide.

I hope you find a solution to your nicks OP!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 09:33 AM   #72
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I think people have been fairly harsh to the OP here. While most people would not let their own wear and tear affect their enjoyment of their luxury timepiece it’s not true for everyone.

For some even the smallest scratch can cause anxiety and a larger scratch could be almost as bad as the results of nuclear warfare or genocide.

If I didn’t know any better, I would think you are ok with losing sleep over nicks and making numerous posts about it as if the world is ending.
I tried to be nice initially but all some of us have said is that thanks to experience at 65 and in padi’s case much older, that when you consider losing an organ and barely making it with the other, losing family like parents and siblings, losing friends, and so much more, this post is about as absurd as one can get. Actually, it’s pathetic and immature along with quite sad.
Perhaps I have said what many are thinking.
Old 6 July 2024, 09:43 AM   #73
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I didn’t know any better, I would think you are ok with losing sleep over nicks and making numerous posts about it as if the world is ending.
I tried to be nice initially but all some of us have said is that thanks to experience at 65 and in padi’s case much older, that when you consider losing an organ and barely making it with the other, losing family like parents and siblings, losing friends, and so much more, this post is about as absurd as one can get. Actually, it’s pathetic and immature along with quite sad.
Perhaps I have said what many are thinking.
I believe I actually compared a minor watch scratch to nuclear war or genocide.
Old 6 July 2024, 10:12 AM   #74
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
This is really stressing me out. Please advise

OP, I feel like I was a little hard on you. What I should have said is watches get dinged up, no matter the brand, and no matter how careful we try to be, when wearing them. It’s part of the watch collecting journey. What I would suggest is just wear it, without worry. When it’s time for a service, tell RSC, you want it polished, and to please make it look as good as it can. That’s my plan for my Rolexes. I’m expecting a new Explorer soon, and I am going to treat it as my more rugged tool watch. When it starts to get dinged up, that just means I’ll be having a good time while wearing my Explorer. That’s the intended use of that model. Try not to worry about the small stuff, and it’s mostly all small stuff.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 10:37 AM   #75
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe I actually compared a minor watch scratch to nuclear war or genocide.
Sorry, a couple of bottles of wine while I realize how fortunate I am to have scratched and dinged Rolex.
Old 6 July 2024, 11:39 AM   #76
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, a couple of bottles of wine while I realize how fortunate I am to have scratched and dinged Rolex.
Haha. It’s a meme from ChatGPT where you ask it “which is worse X or genocide”.
Old 6 July 2024, 07:35 PM   #77
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:

I don’t think so, personally, most of it is a bit of fun, but also it’s important in scenarios like this to offer a bit of perspective, considering the words used to describe the situation.

Do I get pissy if I smack my watch off a door handle? Yes of course, but after a few seconds, I get on with my day. There are far far worse things that can happen in life, and you’ll struggle to find anyone outside of this niche hobby who will feel sorry for you 😂
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 08:46 PM   #78
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123blueface View Post
genuinely don’t intend to sound mean but these types of posts are truly comical while simultaneously quite sad.

I genuinely think anyone feeling as you do over this really needs a wake up call on what is truly important in life. In addition, should not buy a rolex. It’s like my recent trip with my brand new lv carry on, that got gauged from one end to the other simply from placing it in the overhead. I looked at it and chuckled. It will be a lot worse if i check it in. It’s luggage. Will get damaged. Damage shows i use it as intended. Btw, cost me relatively not much less than your explorer.

+1
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 09:08 PM   #79
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
for something like that i would send to rolliworks or zimmerman watch repair. I dont believe rolex laser welds and i would hate for them to round that lug off
+1
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enjoy life , your things owning you