The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 September 2024, 05:44 PM   #61
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Congratulations. Is there a delivery ETA?
April/May 2025 however I heard that some may start as early as Dec 2024.

All watches are already presold directly to collectors and ADs. Depending on who you ask these have/will sell out quickly. If you want a piece I suggest you reach out to the closest AD as soon as possible.

My personal opinion is these match up well against the 60k to 120k CHF range of independents. The stone dial versions are insane. Biver does not pretend to be an average independent as they are well capitalized and the expectations are higher. Movement is built to be serviced forever. This is not some paycheck to paycheck independent trying to make a living; rather it is a industry legend that is trying to build a generational family business.

You have to like the aesthetic and "more is more" finishing as well as the engineering choices that make it what it is:
1) 80M WR (a big deal to me for a daily)
2) Ceramic inserts and titanium springbars for over-engineered bars. Short note - i learned from them that if you use steel spring bars on a gold/platinum cases and wear it daily, the spring bars will deform the case in 5 years.
3) White gold movement (this is a real subtle flex)- white gold will also allow a better shine and the finish to look 20% better than the brass prototype.
4) Stop centers complication is a nice add

The brushed rose gold dial is my favorite of the non-stone dials.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 07:03 PM   #62
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
April/May 2025 however I heard that some may start as early as Dec 2024.

All watches are already presold directly to collectors and ADs. Depending on who you ask these have/will sell out quickly. If you want a piece I suggest you reach out to the closest AD as soon as possible.

My personal opinion is these match up well against the 60k to 120k CHF range of independents. The stone dial versions are insane. Biver does not pretend to be an average independent as they are well capitalized and the expectations are higher. Movement is built to be serviced forever. This is not some paycheck to paycheck independent trying to make a living; rather it is a industry legend that is trying to build a generational family business.

You have to like the aesthetic and "more is more" finishing as well as the engineering choices that make it what it is:
1) 80M WR (a big deal to me for a daily)
2) Ceramic inserts and titanium springbars for over-engineered bars. Short note - i learned from them that if you use steel spring bars on a gold/platinum cases and wear it daily, the spring bars will deform the case in 5 years.
3) White gold movement (this is a real subtle flex)- white gold will also allow a better shine and the finish to look 20% better than the brass prototype.
4) Stop centers complication is a nice add

The brushed rose gold dial is my favorite of the non-stone dials.
Good points and congratulations on your BiveR , I like the guy and what he has done for Hublot and even few Zenith Defy 21 etc last stints at LVMH.

Rolex has been using Gold spring bars on precious metals since ages and explains that logic.

I have a feeling BiveR brand wont survive even next decade hope I am proved wrong but thats my opinion.

Nice watch but no soul or history.
Old 15 September 2024, 09:10 PM   #63
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Good points and congratulations on your BiveR , I like the guy and what he has done for Hublot and even few Zenith Defy 21 etc last stints at LVMH.

Rolex has been using Gold spring bars on precious metals since ages and explains that logic.

I have a feeling BiveR brand wont survive even next decade hope I am proved wrong but thats my opinion.

Nice watch but no soul or history.
Just like any independent, their survival is questionable. I think as they release their chronograph and QP we'll see how they last. What I do know is they are going "all-in" with the family money.

My visit to them was very memorable and as I live 10 mins drive away from their manufacture during my expat stay here in Switzerland, this piece I am ordering is one that commemorates my stay and also the friendship and relationships i have built with the Bivers and the Geneva watch community.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 10:19 PM   #64
kunlun
"TRF" Member

@bearx86 thanks for everything here, your hands on experience has really made the discussion.

As for discussions of soul, I think this is usually just a desire to have the dream of a single watchmaker's inspiration. I think how a watch's design moves us is more important that the story behind it. After all, by the current idea, no vintage Patek would have soul, the designers are both anonymous and multiple, yet some really sing to me, others not at all in spite of their esteem among collectors.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote