The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

View Poll Results: Does your 32xx movement seem to be 100% ok?
Yes, no issues 1,039 69.83%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) but timekeeping is still fine 61 4.10%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) and timekeeping is off (>5 s/d) 388 26.08%
Voters: 1488. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 August 2024, 11:47 PM   #5161
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Fresh watch, fresh data.

Attached are my current readings on a (new to me) May 24 example of a 126713GRNR, run through 60hrs. 60hrs test on a cheapo meter is a commitment, no doubt. I don't usually run all watches that far out, only when I have the time to do so. Generally speaking, I am most interested in the 0 and 24 hr numbers, sometimes through 48, but 60 tells you a great deal about how the movement really performs over the PR (more on that later).

This particular piece is running just ok at 24, -2.24spd overall, 1.9 horizontal, but -5 in the verticals. The verticals are not awesome, 3 up is borderline out of spec (I give a slight margin of error for my meter, environmental factors). I'm not really going to make a call on this one for a little while, but overall I think the AMPs are a touch low @24.

I have since gone back at looked at all of my readings that I have taken an have a few observations to share.

I have owned and measured 4 GMTs - a 2018 BLRO, a 2019 BLNR and two 24 models. My older GMTs run/ran much better than the new ones, go figure. My BLRO was -1.28spd @24hrs when I traded right before the warranty expired for an AP RO - good trade. My BLNR which just rolled out of warranty is +1.46spd @24, still one of my most consistent pieces. The 2024 models are -1.8 and -2.24 @24hrs. My non GMT 32s are not so great - at 24hrs I have an overall average (pre-service) of -5.47spd and an average amplitude of 195.03 - that is in all positions.

I have only tested a few watches to 60 hrs, more at 48. At 48hrs I have an overall average of -8.89spd and AMP of 189.24. That is all watches, all positions (again, pre-service). Of the watches I have tested all the way out to 60hrs I have an overall average of -13.71spd an AMP Avg of 155.23. The vertical positions at 60hrs average -19.26spd which I classify as borderline useless animation.

As for the verticals, that is where I see most of the defects. I have heard/read that the date wheel can add friction, the GMT function can add friction, problems with epilames are possible, I don't know enough to make a call on any of that. It just always strikes me as curious that the 32s struggle a lot in the verticals. That is really the only thing I can say. I realize that is no a profound observation at this point of the thread, but I can prove that point.

For all the data junkies out there I understand my average assessments don't hold a ton merit, just some simple observations I have come up with. If you made it this far through my post, congratulations, give yourself a cookie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 713GRNR 8824 Table.jpg (201.5 KB, 150 views)
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 04:58 AM   #5162
saxo3
"TRF" Member

32xx movement problem poll and data thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Fresh watch, fresh data.
Fresh graph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I have owned and measured 4 GMTs - a 2018 BLRO, a 2019 BLNR and two 24 models. My older GMTs run/ran much better than the new ones, go figure. My BLRO was -1.28spd @24hrs when I traded right before the warranty expired for an AP RO - good trade. My BLNR which just rolled out of warranty is +1.46spd @24, still one of my most consistent pieces. The 2024 models are -1.8 and -2.24 @24hrs. My non GMT 32s are not so great - at 24hrs I have an overall average (pre-service) of -5.47spd and an average amplitude of 195.03 - that is in all positions.
All these 4 GMTs are compared in a new graph, which shows the average amplitudes and rates as a function of time after full winding.

The amplitude values for the GRNR, BLNR, BLRO are very close; the so-called watch 'X' is the worst.

The rate values for the watch 'X' and the BLRO are similar, the new GRNR is the worst and the BLNR (inexplicably) the best.

All 4 GMTs have in common that their accuracy (X rate) decreases significantly after 48 hours. Looking at all the timegrapher data, this is the direct result of the 3285's poor performance in all 3 vertical positions (3U, 6U, 9U).

As I have posted many times before, the main problem with the 32xx calibers is located in their vertical positions.

There is no improvement in these new 2024 watches compared to models bought in 2018/19 and earlier.

The performance change after 48 hours is also clearly visible in the isochronism change of the 3285 calibers as it deviates from linearity. The two new 2024 watches are shown in the graph below. For healthy movements, the 60-hour data points would lie on the linear fit line.

saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 12:33 PM   #5163
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Anyone ever have a 32xx watch make a partial "recovery" on its own? I have one, from 2022, that I was thinking was going to need to go in some time in the near future. Had been gaining about 1 s/d for almost 2 years, and then, started losing time over the past two months.

For about six weeks, was a very consistent -4.5 s/d. Then, the past two weeks, it has started running at about -3 s/d.

Not something I've seen mentioned before, so curious about others' experience.
Poodlopogus is offline   Reply With Quote