The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old Today, 12:31 AM   #1
DDay
"TRF" Member

Mid 80's Day-Date - mystery minimalist dial

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post so sorry if I am in the wrong space as mid-80's is perhaps not exactly vintage. I have a gold, black onyx date-just from my father who pasted last year. What is unusual is it has the Crown and word Rolex on the dial only. None of the other verbiage, and T SWISS? at the 6 o'clock.

Is this an albatross? Did a minimalist branding dial in '84-85' exist, or did the jeweller do something to remove other text (oyster perpetual day-date and superlative chronometer, officially certified)?

My father also had a diamond bezel instead of the fluted, which according to the serial no. it ought to have. It is with the Rolex dealer now and they say that if any part is not original Rolex, I have to replace it or no service.

it is the dial that I am most curious about because this might be some rare select few dials which actually makes it very interesting. I do dig that it is ultra minimalist even though my father may have had the jeweller add the diamond bling. (file image too big to post)
DDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:05 AM   #2
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

It's most likely an aftermarket dial.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 AM   #3
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

You’re in the right place, welcome!

We definitely need to see photos, but I’m not aware of any DDs which have *all* the text but Rolex absent. E.g., even the “plaque” dials have at least “Day-Date” remaining on the dial, and khanjar dials retain at least the text above the center.

Plenty of free apps will compress your photos to allow them to be uploaded. Just use “Post Reply,” then hit the paper clip. The file must not exceed 1250x1250 pixels or be larger than 193.5KB, but that’s plenty big enough.
miamiclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:07 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You will need to resize the photo so that you can post it. It will be impossible for us to comment without seeing the dial.