The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2024, 03:45 PM   #91
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
I have one Rolex which I wear daily and wouldn't put protective film on it. To do so would encourage me to be ever conscious of scratches which would detract from enjoying the watch.

I hate the way some members turn the argument into personal judgements against people. You must be so superior.

Everyone is different and gets enjoyment from their watch in different ways.
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 04:12 PM   #92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I've never had to. The seller says they last two years. But I started using these three years ago and haven't had to replace any yet. And I don't have any scratches or swirls on any of them, no peeling, nothing. Like the day I installed them. I have them (just the center strip and associated clips on the center strip) on my TT Datejust, TT GMT, PM Daytona and two SS Tudors with a polished T-fit clasp. That being said, to each their own.
I’m personally not a fan, but I’ll have to take your word for it that the product you’re using is barely noticeable. Are they easy to install?
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 07:44 PM   #93
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari-F430 View Post
I have never done this before, but I do have PPF on most of my cars and I know that protective film can be amazing as long as the quality is there.

I'm curious to hear what other watch owners who have done it or have thought about using protective film on the clasp to protect from scratches? Now I know that some have done the whole watch as I've seen them on Youtube, but that is definitely not for me.. just the clasp and preventing it from getting the normal scratches is what I am thinking of doing.

Any feedback would be great! This would be for a late model Submariner clasp FYI, if that matters.

Thanks!
I always use a cut to size piece of 3M protection film on the centre part of clasps where that part is mirror finished. It costs very little, can be changed out as and when necessary, does not attract or trap dirt (correctly sized and applied) and does a great job of preventing damage to that part.

I should say, however, that all the clasps I have/have had with polished centres have been PM and therefore soft as butter. I also spend a fair amount of time at a desk for work. I've no problem with hairlines which can be easily rectified should the need arise, but we're not talking hairlines on PM clasps.

It takes me 2 minutes to do, costs next to nothing, and prevents (especially with PM clasps or centre sections which are arguably more easily damaged than car paintwork) looking like crap.

Its less of an issue for me with brushed clasps as marks or scratches can be easily removed with the correct scotchbrite pad and a bit of care and understanding of the process. Nor would I ever use one of those complete coverage kits.

But on polished clasps its a no brainer for me

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 09:40 PM   #94
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 Stealth View Post
Wear the watch! Scars and scratches tell stories. I can't imagine military personnel in the Vietnam War putting protective film on their clasps as they slogged thru swamps and jungles or sat in cockpits of B52s or F4s. Robin Olds and David Hackworth would've been ashamed.
I don't think the military uses PM watches. This is the main reason for protecting the polished center strip as PM is very soft. I also don't think their watches had a polished center strip. Most likely brushed. I've scratched a PM center link beyond repair. Never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1259 View Post
I’m personally not a fan, but I’ll have to take your word for it that the product you’re using is barely noticeable. Are they easy to install?
It does take some patience and practice, and I have ruined a few during the install process.

This may not be for everyone. To each their own. Just sharing my experience.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 10:05 PM   #95
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
On the clasp ….sure
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 12:13 AM   #96
JenaG
"TRF" Member

JenaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 01:04 AM   #97
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think the military uses PM watches. This is the main reason for protecting the polished center strip as PM is very soft. I also don't think their watches had a polished center strip. Most likely brushed. I've scratched a PM center link beyond repair. Never again.

It does take some patience and practice, and I have ruined a few during the install process.

This may not be for everyone. To each their own. Just sharing my experience.

Everyone should enjoy their watch however they like
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 01:21 AM   #98
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Wear the watch however you want.

Personally, I'd feel that if I had to wear a protective cover on my watch then I shouldn't be wearing it in the first place.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 06:16 AM   #99
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, 126334-0017
I guess I’m lucky. I’ve never cared about scratches on the bracelet, clasp, nor bezel even. They are battle scars of a watch well worn. Scratches on the crystal drive me crazy however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bald Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 06:59 AM   #100
Sandwich
"TRF" Member

So it seems that there are 2 school of thoughts:

1. People who like keeping their watches looking pristine
2. People who don’t mind the rigours of life showing up as scratches on their watches.

Fundamentally, I don’t see either of the choices being right or wrong or superior over the other.

The same applies for those on the anti-polish camp and those who wouldn’t mind polishing during routine servicing.

Watch brands give the consumers choices via different designs and price points.

Shouldn’t we also be given to choice to wear them however we want?

Life is about making choices and bar some terrible life choices, I don’t see having some film on a watch being one of them.

My personal opinion is that albeit having a history of making tool watches, the Rolex of today, just like many other luxury watches mainly serve the purpose of being ornate jewellery. A wrist watch is essentially superfluous in the modern context.

And being jewellery, I find that they look best when they’re shiny and less scuffed up, very much like how suits or fancy dresses look best when they’re properly laundered and kept looking crisp and sharp.

Protective films have come a long way and the better brands can keep your wrist jewellery looking fresh whilst remaining discreet from the average viewing distance.

I have been wearing my BLRO pretty much on a daily basis since Oct 23 and both the watch as well as the protective film applied on strategic scratch prone areas have held up nicely.

I’m happy each time I look at my wrist and see it in the exact condition since the day I got it and I don’t plan to ever sell this watch.

On a side note, I’m also not a fan of polishing and if I can keep it looking fresh, I probably wouldn’t have to polish this watch ever (touchwood) and get to enjoy the sharp lines and blemish free look for a long time to come.

Of course, in the event that I do bang it up, i’ll just have to accept that as part and parcel of wearing a watch.
Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 08:03 AM   #101
frank gama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
So it seems that there are 2 school of thoughts:

1. People who like keeping their watches looking pristine
2. People who don’t mind the rigours of life showing up as scratches on their watches.

Fundamentally, I don’t see either of the choices being right or wrong or superior over the other.

The same applies for those on the anti-polish camp and those who wouldn’t mind polishing during routine servicing.

Watch brands give the consumers choices via different designs and price points.

Shouldn’t we also be given to choice to wear them however we want?

Life is about making choices and bar some terrible life choices, I don’t see having some film on a watch being one of them.

My personal opinion is that albeit having a history of making tool watches, the Rolex of today, just like many other luxury watches mainly serve the purpose of being ornate jewellery. A wrist watch is essentially superfluous in the modern context.

And being jewellery, I find that they look best when they’re shiny and less scuffed up, very much like how suits or fancy dresses look best when they’re properly laundered and kept looking crisp and sharp.

Protective films have come a long way and the better brands can keep your wrist jewellery looking fresh whilst remaining discreet from the average viewing distance.

I have been wearing my BLRO pretty much on a daily basis since Oct 23 and both the watch as well as the protective film applied on strategic scratch prone areas have held up nicely.

I’m happy each time I look at my wrist and see it in the exact condition since the day I got it and I don’t plan to ever sell this watch.

On a side note, I’m also not a fan of polishing and if I can keep it looking fresh, I probably wouldn’t have to polish this watch ever (touchwood) and get to enjoy the sharp lines and blemish free look for a long time to come.

Of course, in the event that I do bang it up, i’ll just have to accept that as part and parcel of wearing a watch.

Really enjoyed every line of your well balanced, thoughtful and reflective post Sir.
Old 15 August 2024, 08:49 AM   #102
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do on any watch that has a polished center on the clasp. And I only do the polished center strip and associated polished pieces on the clasp clip. Can't even notice unless you get very close to it (as long as you are using a quality product and do a quality install). Without it, the polished center strip looks really bad really quickly. It's the part on the watch that gets the most wear so why not.

Note: The attached pic is at a high magnification. From a foot away you can't even notice it.
Lol. "Can't even notice"
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 08:54 AM   #103
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUI1982 View Post
Do you all put your phone in a case or use a screen protector on it?

Explain the diff?
No, never. They were designed a certain way and a case detracts from the design.
Old 15 August 2024, 08:55 AM   #104
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
Kritameth is right. I’m based in Singapore and travel S.E.A rather extensively. Protective film on watches is a pretty common theme throughout.

There are many brands to pick from such as RX8 (supposedly one of the earliest brands out there), Legacy, Filmnaga, etc… just to name a few.

Some brands are better cut than the others, easier to apply, peel less easily etc.

If there’s one thing that’s good about them; and I may be over generalising; is that the condition of watches in the grey market in Singapore seem a good deal better than that in the states.

A lot of the watches in grey dealers are in immaculate condition. The occasional fully factory stickered Rolexes to worn but fully PPF’ed pieces and most of them do no need any polishing at all.

I was recommended by a friend to try out a brand called Legacy and had my BLRO stickered up the day I got it.

Pretty neat because they do stickers for every individual links of the jubilee bracelet. Brushed links get tapered matte stickers and the polished links get shiny stickers so they aren’t all that visible from the usual viewing distance unless you look hard.

Here’s a photo of my watch.

Looks awful
Old 15 August 2024, 09:11 AM   #105
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

I did end up ordering a kit for a watch I just had polished, installed it, and you don't even notice it. If I didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't even know it was there when looking at it unless you were inspecting it in-hand.

The only place I put the protection on is the metal clasp, and not the entire band (it would be one hell of a job to do that!). The kit did come with laser-cut pieces for the entire watch though. If I look at my watch collection, the clasp seems to take the heaviest abuse, if I can protect that without thinking about the PPF on it, why not?

I figured if I end up not liking it or notice it too much, I'll just pull it off. I'll report back in a few months to report how it holds up... :)

Here's a pic of the laser-cut pieces, it looks super clear in person, this is under warm lighting at the perfect angle to show the film.. (I mention that because I know someone might look at it and think it's yellowed). It's not.

If/when I finally get a call from an AD, I will definitely install this on any new watches I get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5047 (1).jpeg (119.6 KB, 118 views)
Ferrari-F430 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 11:46 PM   #106
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
no right or wrong answer here, just personal preference
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2024, 02:17 AM   #107
capecodmike
"TRF" Member

For me they are shooters not showpieces. So that would a no.

Get one watch for church then another for working in the yard.

Then your good.
capecodmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 03:02 AM   #108
Recaro18
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520
Not for me...

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 07:42 AM   #109
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Not now, not ever. Never.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 07:44 AM   #110
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari-F430 View Post
I have never done this before, but I do have PPF on most of my cars and I know that protective film can be amazing as long as the quality is there.

I'm curious to hear what other watch owners who have done it or have thought about using protective film on the clasp to protect from scratches? Now I know that some have done the whole watch as I've seen them on Youtube, but that is definitely not for me.. just the clasp and preventing it from getting the normal scratches is what I am thinking of doing.

Any feedback would be great! This would be for a late model Submariner clasp FYI, if that matters.

Thanks!
Pretty sure I will get flack for this one. I use scotch tape on my polished center link clasps. TBT, it looks WAY better than the scratched-up mess that others seem to covet as battle scars. When it does not look perfect, change it out.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 07:55 AM   #111
Ali1009
"TRF" Member

Scratches are part of the whole wearing experience. I recall have the first scratch on my 116500ln and i was devastated, now I've realised it's part of the process. I would recommend not putting anything of this kind on your watch. Just let it be.
Ali1009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 08:31 AM   #112
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Agree on the polished part of the clasp protection. Asked AD not to remove stickers on that part of me new PM Daytona. Original stickers are much better than aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote