The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #1
Vardy
"TRF" Member

Old Turn o graph

Found this in an old trunk. Belonged to my grandfather. It’s in rough shape. Can anyone help me ID this watch? Is it worth restoring? Is it valuable? I don’t plan on selling but would love to know something about it. I’m guessing 1950’s manufacture. Looks like Stainless not silver. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5283-compressed.jpeg (244.8 KB, 1 views)
Vardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #2
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Welcome. It is a 36mm stainless steel rolex 6202 turn o grapgh made from late 1952 to 1960's.

I think yours is 1953 to 1962. Importantly its missing its bezel sadly. Check the trunk a bit more see if there perhaps ;-)

Serial no between the south lugs should help you date it against various databases.

It predated the Submariner by one year. Submariner went on to big things.... but t-o-g got gently dropped until re-editions years and years later.

Yours looks original gilt swiss footer dial and rare gilt hands incl oversize blob of second hand - Of course the 4 o clock lume plot has detached itself and is upside down at bottom of dial. It can be refixed on by an expert.

Don't do valuations per se....but fixed up with bezel and insert £3000 to £5000 (if orig red triangle) ish plus new plexi glass if needed and dial repair should nudge 5 figs, or so...

it would likely have been on a 7206 bracelet, budget £2000/£2500 for one or fit a nice leather.

Rgds T'o
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:47 AM   #3
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Wow. I do hope you can get it restored by a true professional and then post pics.
Old Today, 01:55 AM   #4
DarknerImperator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Welcome. It is a 36mm stainless steel rolex 6202 turn o grapgh made from late 1952 to 1960's.

I think yours is 1953 to 1962. Importantly its missing its bezel sadly. Check the trunk a bit more see if there perhaps ;-)

Serial no between the south lugs should help you date it against various databases.

It predated the Submariner by one year. Submariner went on to big things.... but t-o-g got gently dropped until re-editions years and years later.

Yours looks original gilt swiss footer dial and rare gilt hands incl oversize blob of second hand - Of course the 4 o clock lume plot has detached itself and is upside down at bottom of dial. It can be refixed on by an expert.

Don't do valuations per se....but fixed up with bezel and insert £3000 to £5000 (if orig red triangle) ish plus new plexi glass if needed and dial repair should nudge 5 figs, or so...

it would likely have been on a 7206 bracelet, budget £2000/£2500 for one or fit a nice leather.

Rgds T'o
DarknerImperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:34 AM   #5
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardy View Post
Found this in an old trunk. Belonged to my grandfather. It’s in rough shape. Can anyone help me ID this watch? Is it worth restoring? Is it valuable? I don’t plan on selling but would love to know something about it. I’m guessing 1950’s manufacture. Looks like Stainless not silver. Thanks!
Forgot to add two other factors.

If an early one, the engraving between the top lugs should read BREVET + and 6202.

And the underside of case should have a 18 stamped in the bottom of the lug which is the Nickel content. This is unique-ish marker to 6202
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:07 AM   #6
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Very cool turn-o-graph with an interesting dial crown shape.
Add the potential family history and I would bring it back to life for sure.
Old Today, 03:10 AM   #7
Texasjim
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ...this!
Wow….cool little find. Please do all the research possible before doing anything to the watch. The dig into information will be a rewarding journey! Have fun with it!
Old Today, 03:12 AM   #8
Vardy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info. If I choose to get it restored, who does that kind of work? I assume the parts have to be very hard to find. With a mix of new and old parts is it still a collectible piece? I’ll check the serial number and get a firm date on it. Thanks again
Vardy is offline   Reply With Quote