The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2024, 08:27 AM   #31
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126515LN (sundust)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTime View Post
I have the Starbucks with MKII bezel. I love the color and much prefer it to the MKI. My buddy has a hulk and here is a pic of the 2 side by side if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i think you might be a little past due for some moisturizing cream for those hands, brother!
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2024, 09:31 AM   #32
ColoradoTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
i think you might be a little past due for some moisturizing cream for those hands, brother!

Ha!! That’s my buddy. I’m holding the Starbucks. But it’s hysterical - I literally get that comment every time I’ve shown that pic! 😂

ColoradoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2024, 09:39 AM   #33
nr1416
"TRF" Member

MK2 hands down and I've owned both MK1 and MK2.
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2024, 09:48 AM   #34
omar10213245

Watch: 126515LN (sundust)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTime View Post
Ha!! That’s my buddy. I’m holding the Starbucks. But it’s hysterical - I literally get that comment every time I’ve shown that pic! 😂

lol! throw your buddy a jar of CeraVe or Aquaphor or somethin'!
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2024, 10:24 AM   #35
swedishsteel
"TRF" Member

MKI better and will be rarer
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2024, 02:52 AM   #36
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

MKIII.....

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2024, 04:12 AM   #37
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Starbucks Mk1 vs 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddydog52 View Post
Mk1 trades lower than the Mk2 so if you’re looking for the best value over time then Mk1 is better as not only does it cost a good few hundred less it will likely be worth more than the Mk2 in time if as presumed the Mk2 isn’t discontinued for a number of years meaning there will be far less of the Mk1 around as it had a relatively short production run of only 3 years so the Mk1 should turn out similar to the hulk performance wise post 2030.

Seems like you’re not too concerned about future value and more the colour therefore you should just go for whatever colour you prefer.

Best of luck to you.

Yeah, because the mk2 is newer. Within the same reference, newer gets a premium. Usually better/newer condition and more warranty.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM   #38
Farran
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona king View Post
The hulk and the mk1 Starbucks have identical colored bezels. Get the mk2. My buddy just got one and loves it.

Mk2 is an absolute beauty IMO
Farran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM   #39
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon2000 View Post
Padi enjoys coming into nearly every thread and dumping his garbage, dragging down most conversations by fighting the futile fights such as the nicknames for watches. Swimming upstream, if you will. He enjoys that.

He threatened us all years ago that he was quitting TRF because the community had changed at it was too much for him. What with people calling watches investments and all; he was fed up. But I guess he chickened out on quitting cold turkey. Tens of thousands of posts later, I don't know if he's contributed much of late besides the sarcasm.

He contributes so don’t worry about that.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:12 AM   #40
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Yeah, because the mk2 is newer. Within the same reference, newer gets a premium. Usually better/newer condition and more warranty.

The Mk1 will be more valuable than the Mk2 post 2028 as the 5 year warranty issue will be redundant, presuming the 126610LV model is still in production at that point in time there will be far less Mk1 available due to the short 3 year run, basically the longer this reference stays in production the higher it is setting up the asking price of the Mk1 variant come 2028 onwards, it’s just one of these situations where currently the Mk2 seems more valuable but in 3/4/5 years time the Mk1 will trade at a premium to the Mk2, perhaps a 1-£3,000 premium. not much foresight required to understand what will likely occur in a few years time with regards to this issue.

Obviously am referring to a like for like condition wise come that point in time, arbitrary figures here but say 300,000 Mk1 out in the wild compared to perhaps 800,000 Mk2 come 2028 if it is correct that Rolex produce around 100,000 per year of this particular model and that’s not even taking into account the new Rolex factory apparently coming 2029 which could mean even more Mk1 produced.

I realise that terms like value, profit and investment are considered dirty words here but if anyone is keeping those things in mind then if there are Mk1 and Mk2 in the same condition available then for the reasons above I’d go for the Mk1
Paddydog52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:13 AM   #41
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddydog52 View Post
The Mk1 will be more valuable than the Mk2 post 2028 as the 5 year warranty issue will be redundant, presuming the 126610LV model is still in production at that point in time there will be far less Mk1 available due to the short 3 year run, basically the longer this reference stays in production the higher it is setting up the asking price of the Mk1 variant come 2028 onwards, it’s just one of these situations where currently the Mk2 seems more valuable but in 3/4/5 years time the Mk1 will trade at a premium to the Mk2, perhaps a 1-£3,000 premium. not much foresight required to understand what will likely occur in a few years time with regards to this issue.

Obviously am referring to a like for like condition wise come that point in time, arbitrary figures here but say 300,000 Mk1 out in the wild compared to perhaps 800,000 Mk2 come 2028 if it is correct that Rolex produce around 100,000 per year of this particular model and that’s not even taking into account the new Rolex factory apparently coming 2029 which could mean even more Mk1 produced.

I realise that terms like value, profit and investment are considered dirty words here but if anyone is keeping those things in mind then if there are Mk1 and Mk2 in the same condition available then for the reasons above I’d go for the Mk1

Yes, I agree and that was my point. I just didnt make it clear. That premium the mk2 is currently getting for being newer won’t exist for much longer.

Old Today, 05:21 AM   #42
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Yes, I agree and that was my point. I just didnt make it clear. That premium the mk2 is currently getting for being newer won’t exist for much longer.

We don’t know how long MK2 will be around. Who knows it could be gone next year.
Old Today, 05:47 AM   #43
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
We don’t know how long MK2 will be around. Who knows it could be gone next year.

My fault, I have not taken the time to better articulate myself.

I’m not saying the current premium for mk2 is due to lesser supply, I am saying it is mostly due to all the mk2s on the market are newer than an mk1 and therefore have more warranty left and also presumably in better condition being newer too, and that is why they got a bit more. More warranty and better condition.

As more mk2s age and lose warranty and condition, that premium will diminish and even go away and we will see if there is a true premium solely for the different shade of green.

Old Today, 07:37 AM   #44
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Obviously the Mk2 could be gone next year but unlikely I would say bearing in mind I can’t think of any modern SS sub that Rolex have discontinued after only 12 months, wouldn’t be complaining if they did as from a Mk1 owners point of view it will mean that the 126610LV reference will be discontinued so the value will increase of Mk1 and Mk2 but obviously if the situation arose of only a 12 month production run the Mk2 would trade at a decent premium to the Mk1 moving forward, probably forever.

I would be astonished if the Mk2 was discontinued after 12 months but never say never with Rolex!
Paddydog52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:40 AM   #45
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

I’m just so proud of TRF that we are 44 posts in and no one has disputed the existence of a difference between the bezel colors.

Old Today, 09:19 AM   #46
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Have owned all versions of the LV. The bezel of the hulk and MK1 looks watered down compared to the new MK2. Of all the LV's, I currently own the MK2. The hulk has an amazing dial though.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #47
Cassian739

Quote:
I’m just so proud of TRF that we are 44 posts in and no one has disputed the existence of a difference between the bezel colors.
Bhahaha
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #48
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Have had both. It literally does not matter. The green sports watch upgrade is the green 5168g or the 5711 green dial. If you’re into vintage-ish then flat 4.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #49
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

MK2 is superior and not even close in my opinion. It’s what I specifically bought as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddodoc View Post
Have owned all versions of the LV. The bezel of the hulk and MK1 looks watered down compared to the new MK2. Of all the LV's, I currently own the MK2. The hulk has an amazing dial though.
I found the hulk cool in pics but borderline ridiculous on wrist in person. Holy green overload. It’s not subtle at all
Old Today, 02:01 PM   #50
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Have had both. It literally does not matter. Color is too similar. Experience is the same.

The green sports watch upgrade is the green AP 41 time date or chrono, then 5168g or the 5711 green dial

Vintage is the flat 4.

If you want to go dressier and stay on brand, green sky dweller or day date would be next.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote