The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2024, 02:27 AM   #1
RDN
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Patek Calatrava 6119G

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get some advice.

I have been dealing with a severe medical condition, which I just found out will never improve and only get worse over time leaving me not able to walk. I am currently on disability as a College Professor and I am hoping to return to University in the late Fall to try and return to as normal a life as I can for a few years, as my medical condition gets worse.

I am trying to do everything I have wanted to do but never found the time. I just was accepted to run the Marine Corps half marathon in 2025 and I am finally finishing some research that I have never gotten around to and spending much more time with my family and my two young sons.

My question is this. I have collected watches for over 20 years and I have owned primarily Rolex watches. Over the years, I have given them away (numerous Daytonas, submariners, and GMTs) to my relatives for graduations and weddings, leaving me with only 1 watch, the 40mm Rolex Explorer 1. I have always wanted a Patek Calatrava, but never seemed to be in a position to buy one and was always worried about resale value (instead of the enjoyment of actually owning the watch).

I have the opportunity to purchase a Patek Calatrava 6119G from 2021 from a trusted advisor. However, due to my medical condition and the continuous never-ending medical bills, I would have to sell my Rolex Explorer I to make the purchase.

Can the Calatrava 6119g be an everyday watch? As I mentioned, I am a College Professor and I wear a sports coat, slacks, and a polo shirt when I am lecturing and will probably only have two years more to work until I go on permanent disability.

If it were you, would you sell your Explorer I and purchase the Calatrava?

I sincerely appreciate any guidance you can provide.
RDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 02:49 AM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

First of all all the best to you and your family. Yes, I love my 6119G. It's a great watch that you totally daily. It has a slim profile and fits nicely under all shirt cuffs. I personally wear my 5167 more often, especially in the summer due to rubber strap but it's definietly a great watch. I love the clous de paris on the side profile and the dial looks great in the sun light. Enjoy your patek !!!
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 04:13 AM   #3
hbu
"TRF" Member

I have 6119G. I don’t recommend to use as daily watch due to the bezel design. If there is any damage of the bezel, there is no way to polish it but to replace it. since the bezel is white gold + patek services, it’s gonna be $$$$
hbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 04:15 AM   #4
metallic
"TRF" Member

It’s a classic Patek. I would definitely make that purchase and enjoy it.

All the best!
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 07:02 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It is a fine watch great for everyday use. But it is a big change from what you have been wearing and a good bit smaller. You might want to figure out how to add it, if it turns out to be better suited as an occasional piece.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 07:45 AM   #6
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
The 6119G is a gorgeous piece... But it's not a "do everything" watch. Sweating with that leather band won't be fun.

But I'm eyeing one myself. I'd say go for it. Life's short.
Old 17 August 2024, 08:55 AM   #7
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Professor:

Do it.

All all my best wishes battling this beast with the PP on your wrist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 11:11 AM   #8
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about the disability and wish you the best.

As for the watch, I’m the owner of a 6119R and a Rolex 36mm Explorer. If you are not already limited in mobility, and you can go for some swims and sweat, then the Explorer will be better for you these next 2 years. It’s a go anywhere do anything watch. If you’re not planning to sweat much at all and you’re in a reasonable climate area, the 6119 will be a fine everyday watch
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 12:35 PM   #9
RDN
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Thank you

Thank you everyone for your warm comments and sincere advice. I have decided that I am going to move forward and move some assets around and keep my 40mm Rolex Explorer I and buy the Patek. I have always wanted to buy a Patek Calatrava and I am not getting any younger.

Also, from what my AD tells me, there is a two-year waiting list or even longer if I turn down this offer now for all Pateks, even the Calatrava. This seems strange to me as I have only owned Rolex and the grey market prices for the Calatrava 6119G are lower than the new retail price.

The 6119R seems to be at a premium, but for the first time, I am buying the watch that I really want and I am not going to worry about resale value because I hope I never have to sell it.

If I find the Calatrava can be used every day, I will sell the Explorer. If not, I will pick up a consulting job and try to earn a little extra income when I am off of disability so I can keep both watches, until I have to go on disability full-time.

I have no idea what I will do at that point, but hopefully, it won't happen for at least a few years.

Sincerely,

RDN
Old 17 August 2024, 02:45 PM   #10
EUguy
"TRF" Member

In the first place thank you for sharing your story and sad to hear about your situation. You sound positive and strong though, which I admire.

Since you write that you have two sons and I understand you like giving watches away, wouldn’t it give you a good feeling if both your sons can get one of dad’s watches instead of one leaving behind empty handed?

You write about the 6119G but also that you have “always wanted a Patek Calatrava”. Given the fact that the 6119 is fairly new you must also like previous versions which might perhaps open up possibilities to add one watch as there are other Calatravas that are much cheaper than the 6119G. A 5134 is an amazing Calatrava in my opinion and even has a travel time function which you rarely notice on the dial when you don’t use it as the second hour hand hides behind the main hour hand then. The 5134 is advertised in the €15-20k price range on Chrono24 so their selling prices must be even lower, certainly given the hit that watches have taken in the recent 1-1,5 years. The 5134 is still quite modern looking and it does not wear too small.

If you are willing to go smaller though, you might want to look into older ‘plain’ Calatravas as well which you should be able to find in that same price range or even for less. Same goes for the Golden Ellipse (which I appreciate is not a Calatrava but also a time only PP).

Re your question on usability: I daily my Golden Ellipse (from 1980 but serviced quite recently) for longer periods of time with no problems whatsoever. The 240 movement is a work horse and is a strong movement. I therefore think that the 6119G could definitely be worn daily if you are lecturing and not living a too rough lifestyle. However, for me a reason to put it aside (and not being able to continuously wear it) is when I go to a sports event, when the weather is too hot/humid to wear a leather strap, and if I wear short sleeves as I really think in that case the Golden Ellipse looks strange and small on me. For me it needs a cuff, but that is IMHO less the case with the more ‘modern’ and perhaps less classic feeling 6119G. The 6119G is a true strap monster so you can dress it easily up or down with very dressy or more casual straps.

So perhaps you can make your wish come true and have both a Calatrava and the Explorer, which would make an amazing two pieces collection and cover you in all situations. Both your sons would likely appreciate their watch enthusiast dad having looked after it for them as the next generation.

If that is not possible due to funds or simply not your preference, I can understand that you make the decision for the 6119G. You have always wanted a Calatrava and in my experience, having a Patek Philippe is something very special. The looks, quality and history of it simply sings to me. And you could always decide to add a simple watch for sporting activities, such as the new Blancpain-Swatch collaboration that costs less than €1,000.

I hope you are able to make a decision that works for your situation and makes you enjoy your watch(es) as a watch lover!
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 03:08 PM   #11
RDN
"TRF" Member

Thank you

I truly thank you for taking the time to respond and your well wishes. You are right, I always thought I would have more time to purchase more watches and put them aside for my sons. Now, I will have two, one for each son.

I have lusted after the Calatrava 5196 for many many years. I regret not buying it when I had multiple opportunities. I wish Patek didn't discontinue it. I am a little nervous that Patek discontinued the 5196 that was 37mm and increased the new Calatrava to 39mm. I have heard that some owners find it wears too large and too flat for a proper dress watch, I am going to post another question to find out what other owners think about the size.

Thank you again! I am always worried about being taken advantage and I am brind new to Patek. My trusted sellers didn't have the 5196 so I moving forward with the 6119g.
Old 17 August 2024, 04:37 PM   #12
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I wish you all the best. On the 6119, when I tried it on (17 cm wrist) it fit me well and it is a beautiful watch. It does wear a little flat simply because it’s 39mm and fairly thin. It is a very formal dress piece however and not a watch you can easily dress down. If you’re looking for a Patek Calatrava that can easily be worn casually may I suggest you also consider a 5212 Weekly Calendar. It’s a steel watch and looks great on a variety of straps of different colours. It has an automatic movement so you don’t need to manually wind it as long as you wear it every couple of days. And finally the weekly calendar complication may actually have some utility to you as a college professor. It will be slightly more expensive than a 6119 but worth a look. Good luck with your considerations!
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 05:31 PM   #13
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Great strength from you, very admirable.

The 6119 is extremely beautiful, yes it is 1mm too large imo, but there's no perfect watch unless you can bespoke one. I never understood why people love the 5196, the calibre is far too small they have to cover it up, but the damage is done, the sub second dial is too high up and looks absolutely unbalanced.
The 6119 is large no doubt about it, I wish it were 1mm smaller but other than that I absolutely loved mine. Mine is a R, so its much more formal, but I think pairing it with peccary toned it down considerably and totally fine with polo shirt and sport coat (not sure abort slacks tbh)
The G is even easier to tone down. Did you see online pics they pair it with the denim like strap from the world time? It'll be perfect with your attire even though I think the R looks much better than the G. Consider suede strap as well, I think G is on the casual spectrum so it could work.

Hope everything goes well for you
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 05:37 PM   #14
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDN View Post
Thank you everyone for your warm comments and sincere advice. I have decided that I am going to move forward and move some assets around and keep my 40mm Rolex Explorer I and buy the Patek. I have always wanted to buy a Patek Calatrava and I am not getting any younger.

Also, from what my AD tells me, there is a two-year waiting list or even longer if I turn down this offer now for all Pateks, even the Calatrava. This seems strange to me as I have only owned Rolex and the grey market prices for the Calatrava 6119G are lower than the new retail price.

The 6119R seems to be at a premium, but for the first time, I am buying the watch that I really want and I am not going to worry about resale value because I hope I never have to sell it.

If I find the Calatrava can be used every day, I will sell the Explorer. If not, I will pick up a consulting job and try to earn a little extra income when I am off of disability so I can keep both watches, until I have to go on disability full-time.

I have no idea what I will do at that point, but hopefully, it won't happen for at least a few years.

Sincerely,

RDN
I just saw this, that's pretty crazy
I don't think any of the R and G carries any premium, they aren't even a hot piece it's mind boggling theres a two years wait. I think the Ad is fear mongering but maybe different region/AD really differs that much
But it seems you like the G more anyway so alls good I guess
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 02:03 AM   #15
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:

Sincerely,

RDN
I wish you and your family all the best. Speaking from personal experience (aka: I should not be alive but am), there is nothing more valuable than knowing how valuable it all is.

That said, I too will be looking at a 6119g as a daily. Life is short and if you want to live in the present, who wants to look at a date?

Post pics when you have it. :)
Old 18 August 2024, 02:39 AM   #16
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Quote:

Sincerely,

RDN
This is the way! All the best to you, friend!