The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2024, 11:37 AM   #61
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkRolex View Post
You only get temporary gratification once you buy your grail and then move on to the next shiny watch. Your watch taste and liking changes over time. At some point I waited long for a RO but before I could get my hands on it I lost interest. Life lesson after being a long term watch owner having owned many “grails” Subs, Daytona, YM, DJ and lately just the Pepsi and Starbucks. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree 100%!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 01:13 PM   #62
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I know this is extremely corny, but I'm reminded of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. In the end the Grail was lost, but both of the Joneses did find what they were looking for. "Illumination", as the elder Jones said.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 01:23 PM   #63
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkRolex View Post
You only get temporary gratification once you buy your grail and then move on to the next shiny watch. Your watch taste and liking changes over time. At some point I waited long for a RO but before I could get my hands on it I lost interest. Life lesson after being a long term watch owner having owned many “grails” Subs, Daytona, YM, DJ and lately just the Pepsi and Starbucks. Thoughts?

I never really subscribed to the mega-collector culture that’s in watches today. I realized pretty early in life that the same dopamine injection I get from a new watch, I also get from a nice pair of running shoes, a nice blazer, or even the feeling I get in buying my wife a new gift. All of those are much easier to spend $€£ on than the price tag of a new Rolex; over and over.

So on the rare occasion that I do get a new watch, I truly enjoy it. I don’t look at the next one. What’s the point? I’d rather stick to less expensive interests that have the same impact on my life.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 07:45 PM   #64
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
once I get my grail it's not my grail anymore
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 04:45 PM   #65
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
I thought a YG DayDate was the grail, now I want to sell it. I might end up with just the 16030 I bought almost 40 years ago.
Grail watch YG DayDate now sold after one year.
Old 28 August 2024, 08:48 PM   #66
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

Darn it! That guy's grail looks better than my grail. You know what happens next...again.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 11:14 PM   #67
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Each new watch changes the context of my desire for other watches. So while I have called many watches “grails” acquiring them simply opened the door to other watches. I like to think we don’t own watches as much as we experience them and as our experience accumulates so does our taste in watches.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 11:30 PM   #68
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
There's no such thing as a grail watch.................until there is. And your grail might not be the watch you thought it would be. And if it's truly a grail watch, rarity, popularity, and/ or difficulty obtaining said watch shouldn't have anything to due w/ why you consider it your grail.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 11:38 PM   #69
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Disagree, I have my grail and will continue to buy others. None will have the significance of my Meteorite GMT!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 12:19 AM   #70
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Here's how I see things.

There is no grail, it's an illusion. Once you get it, there'll always be the next piece looming on the horizon, ready to strike. There's no exit watch.

Thus you could very well carry on adding all sorts of watches despite your grail. You wake up one day and you find it too heavy, you don't like the attention from people, you don't feel safe on the street with it, scratches annoy you, you miss your good old beaters and not so beaters etc etc.

We know what it's like in this hobby, grass is always greener with the next piece on the wrist.
This accurately describes not only watch collecting, but also most other types of collecting. It's a universal psychology and people basically just re-fool themselves into a certain state of mind on an ongoing basis.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 12:29 AM   #71
strettyend
"TRF" Member

There is no such thing as a grail watch..

Agree I think I’m just a watch-obsessed degenerate. Got my 5740 and still lust over Daytonas. I just love and want all the watches
Old 29 August 2024, 12:37 AM   #72
ap1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Each new watch changes the context of my desire for other watches. So while I have called many watches “grails” acquiring them simply opened the door to other watches. I like to think we don’t own watches as much as we experience them and as our experience accumulates so does our taste in watches.
I like this
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 07:03 AM   #73
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
There's no such thing as a grail watch.................until there is. And your grail might not be the watch you thought it would be. And if it's truly a grail watch, rarity, popularity, and/ or difficulty obtaining said watch shouldn't have anything to due w/ why you consider it your grail.
dP

Very well said!

Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 10:44 AM   #74
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

I can’t say I have a grail. There are a bunch of watches I’d like to own someday. Some I will and some are possibly unobtainable, and that’s ok. I guess a goal watch of mine is a platinum Day Date, meteorite dial with diamond indices. That’s pretty close to a grail, I suppose, but I know even when I get that one I will want others and enjoy hunting them down to add to my collection. I feel fortunate to already have a collection where if I don’t add a single piece until the day I die, well I’ve still got more than what I need.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 03:34 PM   #75
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
Agree I think I’m just a watch-obsessed degenerate. Got my 5740 and still lust over Daytonas. I just love and want all the watches
If only the majority of collectors were so honest and unpretentious!
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 10:55 AM   #76
Funkle
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
I am glad I don't suffer the affliction. I've always wanted a Submariner, now I have one and I'm happy with it. I've been through the hungry hippo thing with motorcycles and guitars. Owned 15 bikes and over 25 guitars, actually lost count of guitars at one point. Now I'm down to 5 choice six stringers and 4 bikes. I have learned that success doesn't have to equal excess. Do what makes you happy, then do something else that makes you happy.
..although I do want a Datejust..
Funkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 01:18 AM   #77
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167a/216570 black
No real grail for me sadly as I can get bored with any watch!
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 01:43 AM   #78
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This is my grail watch and if I ever attain it, it will still remain a grail due to the ridiculous finishing. It's sheer class.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (117.8 KB, 57 views)
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 02:13 AM   #79
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Absolutely agree. It’s a moving target from grand complications to some “simple” ones. Just depends on the latest obesssion…which for me is the lacquer Green Day Date right now
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 02:18 AM   #80
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I think there are grail watches and the ‘one and done’ does exist, but those people don’t frequent watch forums like this. Those people live in ignorant bliss, unaware of the temptations that seduce people in the thousands of posts and watch shots
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 11:29 PM   #81
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I guess it depends on how you define grail. If it stands for a watch you lust after-and just might sell a kidney for- along with zero chance of getting through AD channels, then I'd have to disagree.

However, if your definition is a be all, collection stopper your one true love sort of thing...then I'd probably have to disagree.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote