The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 August 2024, 03:00 AM   #271
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon84 View Post
Funny, ive reached the same point with my watch journey, my Omega Constellation is a perfect daily driver…..i keep wanting to buy an explorer, OP or datejust but my Conny is too perfect to part part with and dont see what those 3 rolexs would give in return
Can’t argue with perfection.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:01 AM   #272
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
IF you say rolex better than omega then patek is better than rolex
(me nodding)...

Uh huh.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 05:01 AM   #273
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, 126334-0017
I don’t own any Omegas but I have friends who have them and I have tried a few of them on the wrist at ADs. I think an Omega purchase is in my future but I do have a few thoughts on Omega.

I think the cases are generally too thick

I think most of their bracelets are sub par compared to Rolex. No bad but not as good as Rolex.

I’m not generally a fan of the coaxial escapement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bald Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 06:10 AM   #274
SMPc
"TRF" Member

Both brands make great quality watches. I see them as equal and own watches from both brands. No need to constantly try to hype one over the other.just enjoy your watches
SMPc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 06:17 AM   #275
Mystro

Just to add, you could make the same case the other way around and ask…..”Is Omega that much better than Rolex?”. It’s all about priorities and qualities you hold more important than others that could tip the scale either way. Obviously the “flex” king will always go to Rolex however you look at it but getting into movements, design, history, etc… it’s all a personal choice and how you look at it.
Old 30 August 2024, 07:19 AM   #276
alllexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
Sorry but I believe to my mendacious eyes . A real Omega package does not have any “made in” signs of production, and I’ve got plenty of straps and deployants. And the counterfeit has to show that it is “a honest copy” and not a fake. While it is.

There you have it
Bought from Omega AD official

alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 07:44 AM   #277
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Is Rolex THAT much better than Omega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
There you have it

Send this photo to Omega headquarters in Switzerland and ask them if it’s original.

Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 12:10 PM   #278
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Nothing beats the newest Omega movements in the Speedmaster and Seamaster. They are stupid accurate.

Rolex still has better fit and finish than Omega. I really can’t describe it any other way. Nothing feels like a Rolex product does.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 12:13 PM   #279
Kingcobb
"TRF" Member

Again both movements are way more accurate then I need. But one of them is built to mold to your wrist the other is built to feel like a satellite dish strapped to your wrist.....much bigger difference in fit then there is between thr movements.
Kingcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 12:18 PM   #280
FL2024
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnerelli23 View Post
I’m just curious what people here think, design language aside. And I know this gets discussed in other threads but I wanted to start one concise thread about it.

I feel like, usually, resale value dictates how a product is perceived in quality. Most “men’s” Rolex can fetch 100% MSRP or better in used condition. Some may fall to like 80% but even that is WAY better than any other product I can think of.

Omega on the other hand drops around 50% or more. And, one can even find discount on brand new pieces.

The Bond seamasters are just as recognizable to collectors as Rolex models. The Speedmaster has a very high regard. And there are many more Omega pieces with history and prevalence in the community.

So my overall question is, what’s up with that? Isn’t the quality comparable? ETC…

I have a 40mm Speedy Racing and I had a Planet Ocean. Both extremely accurate and had, maybe, better finishing than the Rolexes I have. Very impressive.

What do you all think? Is it just a marketing thing? Is Rolex better for quality and longevity?

It’s all marketing and brand image. Rolex is great don’t get me wrong but omega has better movements and you could even argue better finish and quality.
FL2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 12:34 PM   #281
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Owning both, I find Rolex uses higher quality materials, white gold hands, platinum numbers in bezels, and designs more comfortable watches, and bracelets. The co-axial movement also came across as cheaper to me, lower beats per minute, thick cases and initially faulty co-axial movements. Some co-axial movements full out failed. Meanwhile, Rolex watches seem to last much longer without service and felt better on wrist. A big allure is purely the brand of Rolex, you can’t get around that, people prefer Rolex because of the brand, so it’s tough to have an unbiased discussion.

Does AP make watches that are that much better than Rolex? Depends on what you value, and what matters to you. To what extent does brand recognition and perception of AP being expensive play into that….everyone has a slightly different value chain.
Spartacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:43 PM   #282
Talon84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Owning both, I find Rolex uses higher quality materials, white gold hands, platinum numbers in bezels, and designs more comfortable watches, and bracelets. The co-axial movement also came across as cheaper to me, lower beats per minute, thick cases and initially faulty co-axial movements. Some co-axial movements full out failed. Meanwhile, Rolex watches seem to last much longer without service and felt better on wrist. A big allure is purely the brand of Rolex, you can’t get around that, people prefer Rolex because of the brand, so it’s tough to have an unbiased discussion.

Does AP make watches that are that much better than Rolex? Depends on what you value, and what matters to you. To what extent does brand recognition and perception of AP being expensive play into that….everyone has a slightly different value chain.
Isn’t rhodium that omega uses for hands more expensive than gold?
They use ceramic instead of brass on a lot of their dials
Move over coaxial issues, 32XX is here to take the crown :-)
Coaxial movement is designed to go longer between services and in my experience does, it’s also finished better than Rolex movements

I agree Rolex’s tend to fit and feel better, there’s something about the steel they use that feels warmer and softer on the skin
Talon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 04:04 AM   #283
martyjanderson
"TRF" Member

Watch: omega sm chronogra
limited experience but of my 6 swiss dive watches

my rolex sub and sd 43 dont feel as high quality as my omega diver chronograph.

in fact dont really feel higher qualty than my breitlings though better than my tudor.

that said i like all .
martyjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 11:55 AM   #284
dxoperator
"TRF" Member

I won't say Rolex is better in quality, as both watches have very excellent build quality, and high technological innovations. Rolex is just a globally recognized brand, with a 100% brand recognition, the fact that even non-watch enthusiast can easily identify with Rolex really speaks volume. One thing I think Rolex has done pretty well is put specific use-case (hiking or diving) on their watches and this has really help make it go beyond just its physical appearance. Personally, I think It all comes down to preference, those with good knowledge of Omega and its amazing features will tell you it is better than Rolex, we just have more Rolex lovers around the world.
dxoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 09:26 PM   #285
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnerelli23 View Post
It was me!

You’re the first person I’ve seen who also owns that watch. I’ve been wanting to talk to someone who has one since I got mine!

First and most importantly, is your rotor pretty loud? I can hear and feel mine quite a bit compared to Rolex, Tudor, and the Planet Ocean I had. More comparable to my Panerai.

Second, how do you like it overall? Although I’ve never held a Daytona I actually prefer the aesthetics of that Omega. I find it to be the perfect combination of classic and modern design.

Mine runs about +6/day so pretty accurate too though my Sub and Tudors are much better.

What are your thoughts?

Sorry, I didn't see your post. I've not noticed the rotor sound, so I'd say mine isn't loud. Mine has run -1 second over two weeks so it's really accurate. I think the older Racing is a beautiful watch (like it more than the two register new version). I also own an older Daytona in two tone. I like it OK but in truth this is a better looking watch.
Regarding Panerai, both of mine are older, one runs about +15 secs/day. The second I'm currently testing.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 10:34 PM   #286
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
There you have it

That is the one I was referring to, thanks for sharing
majidessa is online now   Reply With Quote