The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2024, 10:22 AM   #31
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I've just got back from the DR and will be returning three more times this year, and we have been there about 30 times in the last ten years. While I'm very comfortable there (I'm a white guy who speaks Spanish and it freaks the locals out when I start talking!) the wife and I leave the Rolex at home. She wears a Tag Heuer, and I an Omega SMP. Both watches that I wouldn't want to lose, but are less expensive than the others in the collection.

It's a great country with wonderful people. Just don't drink the tap water, or wander around at night.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:53 AM   #32
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
First, When in doubt, do without.
Second, I wouldn’t wear any high end watch to the beach.

A Casio would be my go to.

Safe travels, and enjoy your vacation.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:30 AM   #33
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

The joy of wearing the watch isn’t worth the trouble you will encounter if something bad happens
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:19 PM   #34
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Can’t speak for
Dominican but we just got back from
Bahamar resort in Bahamas. I have never seen so many dd, gold subs , gold sky ds. Made me
Wish I would of taken my DD instead of blro
I wear my full gold watches at Baha Mar and Atlantis every time I go there Nassau is very safe
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:41 PM   #35
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't. My brother, nephew, and I used to regularly take surf trips to the DR. We would stay in Cabarete on the north coast, not in a resort. (Why would you want to go to the DR and never venture outside of the resort? Some of the towns and cities, including Cabarete, are fantastic places to visit/stay.) Once, driving to a surf spot, some gendarmes armed with automatic weapons blocked the road with their trucks and robbed us of our cash. If we'd had any other valuables, I assume they would have taken those, too. Given that the roads in the DR are a free-for-all, it is quite possible that something similar could happen to you, even just traveling from the airport to the resort. Why risk it?
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:53 PM   #36
JenaG
"TRF" Member

Take your most expensive jewelry and watches, wear them openly, out in public and let us know how it all worked out. I’m sure it’ll make for a great threat!
JenaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 01:07 AM   #37
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Leave it home. Wear a G shock, and leave the diamond chain home, too.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2024, 08:02 AM   #38
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I go to the DR at least once a year and have for the last 20 years. I don’t know what resort you are staying at but I stay at Casa de Campo. If that’s where you are going I wear my DD platinum, and bring a Nautilus and either a GMT or Sea Dweller when I go. I have never worried about it even at the airports.

That’s in the DR. Enjoy and have a great trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1700.jpeg (76.8 KB, 141 views)
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2024, 12:32 PM   #39
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

Although the chances of anything nefarious happening are extremely slim on the resort, I’d leave it at home. There is a greater chance you’ll bang it up doing something but why even worry about that on vacation. Toss it in the bank vault...
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 04:04 PM   #40
Saxonite
"TRF" Member

If you’re concerned at all, I’d leave it home. I was there last year in Punta Cana and wore my seiko so I didn’t have to think about. I also stayed on resort property the entire trip as well. Given the current situation going on the island, granted it’s the Haiti side, I would not draw attention to myself with a gold Rolex.
Old 19 July 2024, 06:15 PM   #41
Bob-a-Job
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
The roads to and from the airport are where you’ll feel unsafe...........

Could you explain what might possibly be 'going on' in this photo, please?

I haven't travelled the world now for over 30 years. The heat mostly puts me off these days and photos such as this!

Edit: Is this a posible scene from Haiti side of the island?
Bob-a-Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 10:44 PM   #42
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
On the resort you'll be fine, but be careful in the airport and don't be surprised if they make you take it off when you go through security.

I went with a Tudor my last trip
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:12 AM   #43
Smart Mart
"TRF" Member

If you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re probably right

Smart Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:25 AM   #44
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronolex View Post
the joy of wearing the watch isn’t worth the trouble you will encounter if something bad happens
don’t do it unless you can afford to lose it. Period…….
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:40 AM   #45
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
Took a full gold GMT2 when I was in my early 20s about 10,15 years ago. Me and my mates ended up going to some local party in a bar club thing outside the resort, and I did feel a bit stupid and to be honest scared walking along wearing it, like asking for trouble given its value compared to general lack of wealth out there and we had a 30 minute walk along dark roads home as we couldn’t find a taxi. Was not that good, but fortunately didn’t get unlucky.

Also watch out for food poisoning which got me and ruined a few days, hopefully it’s better now, but avoid prepared fruit and tap water in particular.
This. And I also got food poisoning when I was there, and it nearly killed me.

The trip from the airport to the resort was dangerous for me and my wife initially- we got through intake and had a group of men grab our bags and try to lead us to a far end of the parking lot.. I stopped and a legit Taxi driver stopped them and redirected us. We were under the impression that the guys that had grabbed our bags were real taxi drivers... apparently anyone can just camp out in the hotel and act like they are legit supposed to be there to help you. Just crazy.

Be careful what you eat!! The thing with most resorts in the DR is you have to leave the secure area of the resort to actually go on the beach.

Bring a Rolex to me to Dr is a hard "no". Is it really worth having it there just for a vacation? I get why you'd want a special watch with you, but when it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense...
Ferrari-F430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 06:31 AM   #46
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym5050 View Post
Hey all,

Tomorrow I’m going on vacation for a week in the Dominican Republic. We are not planning on leaving the resort.

Is it safe to wear my Daydate there? I don’t know if there’s any probability for theft even in the airport if I was ever asked to take it out and put it through the scanner (which I probably wouldn’t anyway).

My only other concern which isn’t nearly as much of a concern as theft is taking it to the beach everyday and it getting dirty in the sand.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Pretty sure you're already in DR by now. But I just came back from DR and was wearing my Tudor BB. No issues at the airport or resort. Employees don't give a damn about what guests are wearing. To be working at a resort is considered a privilege and their salary is far higher than if they would being doing as a local.. And employees are not willing to lose their means of supporting their families.

Why would you want to wear your watch to the beach? If you're worried abut it being stolen... Then wouldn't you be more worried for getting it scratched by sand?

Also, you're on vacation. Go enjoy yourself. Leave your watch in the safe when you're at the beach or at the pool.
eugenetsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 06:35 AM   #47
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I have been to Punta Cana many times and not only take a Rolex but I usually take two as does my wife. Have never had a reason to be concerned.
We wear them as well worldwide.
Old 20 July 2024, 06:42 AM   #48
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari-F430 View Post
This. And I also got food poisoning when I was there, and it nearly killed me.

The trip from the airport to the resort was dangerous for me and my wife initially- we got through intake and had a group of men grab our bags and try to lead us to a far end of the parking lot.. I stopped and a legit Taxi driver stopped them and redirected us. We were under the impression that the guys that had grabbed our bags were real taxi drivers... apparently anyone can just camp out in the hotel and act like they are legit supposed to be there to help you. Just crazy.

Rookie mistake for you then. All the resorts that I've been to offer "transfer transportation". You either have to pay extra or it's comped with your stay. Either way, you never take a taxi to your resort. Unless you're a DR resident and knows whats up.

I stayed at the Finest Punta Cana last month and we were comped a blacked out Suburbans for our transfer. Follow the directions that your resort had given you and IGNORE all the BS hustlers that are trying to trick you on your way to the designated pick up area. Simple as that
Old 20 July 2024, 09:18 AM   #49
rlx123
"TRF" Member

I took my G shock to Europe instead of my Rolex two weeks ago and enjoyed my vacation more because I didn’t have to constantly looking over my shoulder.

Although I did have a little Rolex withdrawal syndrome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 09:50 AM   #50
bestwatch1
"TRF" Member

No insurance = no vacation with watch
bestwatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 11:03 AM   #51
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
Rookie mistake for you then. All the resorts that I've been to offer "transfer transportation". You either have to pay extra or it's comped with your stay. Either way, you never take a taxi to your resort. Unless you're a DR resident and knows whats up.

I stayed at the Finest Punta Cana last month and we were comped a blacked out Suburbans for our transfer. Follow the directions that your resort had given you and IGNORE all the BS hustlers that are trying to trick you on your way to the designated pick up area. Simple as that
Nothing says "Vacation Paradise" to me like traveling in a blacked out Suburban!
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 02:15 AM   #52
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Nothing says "Vacation Paradise" to me like traveling in a blacked out Suburban!
Definitely was a shocker! I was expecting a community van or your typical shuttle bus.. But the parent hospitality group who owns the Finest Punta Cana (where we stayed at) is The Excellence Collection. Their selling point was, and luxury resort experience. and man!!! they definitely did that the moment they picked up my group back to the hotel. 4 blacked out Suburbans zooming in and out of traffic... Felt more like a presidential motorcade.

If you're ever planning on going to Cancun or Punta Cana, I highly recommend this hotel!
Old 26 July 2024, 02:19 AM   #53
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
So did you wear it, OP? And how quickly was it stolen?
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote