The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2024, 08:01 AM   #61
edyu
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashj52 View Post
I don’t agree with his statement, and not trying to make excuses but we all make mistakes and some of the online comments towards him are over the top. The cubitus has grown on me the past few days, if there are smaller iterations in the future I would for sure be interested.
I read that there are smaller iterations in the plan.
edyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2024, 08:12 AM   #62
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Wei Koh is "bro" to every watch maker, or he tries to be. He is insufferable at times with his chumminess with watch brands and watch CEOs.

His view of brands like Patek is hardly objective or even slightly objective.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2024, 08:59 AM   #63
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Wei Koh is "bro" to every watch maker, or he tries to be. He is insufferable at times with his chumminess with watch brands and watch CEOs.

Totally agree. I don’t think he’s ever said anything remotely negative or critical.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2024, 09:26 AM   #64
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
Totally agree. I don’t think he’s ever said anything remotely negative or critical.
But thats how one gets piece unique Cartier Crash and other cool stuffs. Not paid editorial but paid by access to pieces, in which he can claim he paid in full for the item purchased while maintaining his journalistic "integrity".

I think once the dust has settled, the Cubitus will be a fairly sought after watch. I am hoping to see it next week in person but so far it is okay based on the many pictures seen online. Not spectacular, but not a failure either. I think a lot of disappointment stems from the fact that people expected more from Patek, considering their status in the watch industry. Instead, they launched Nautilus 2.0, which has its own pros and cons.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2024, 10:23 AM   #65
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusiast View Post
The original is in German, the link is the auto-translation by Google.

Here you go.
I don't need a critic to tell me it's hideous. The Cubitis line is an identity crisis on steroids. Like a Hermes Doo Rag it's just a messy mish mosh that fails on every level.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2024, 02:45 PM   #66
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbone View Post
I don't need a critic to tell me it's hideous. The Cubitis line is an identity crisis on steroids. Like a Hermes Doo Rag it's just a messy mish mosh that fails on every level.
Hermes doo rag do they actually make those?

100% agree.
Old 23 October 2024, 07:44 PM   #67
Sho-nuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP │ ALS
I think the watch looks good on his wrist in that picture.
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2024, 10:31 PM   #68
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

he lives off them after all.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2024, 10:36 PM   #69
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusiast View Post
Speaking of interviews: TS also likes to claim that his ADs face questioning as soon as recently sold watches appear on the open market.

How on earth are such things or the whole portfolio of this gray dealer possible?
as of today there are 37 cubitus in ch24, some for real and some not. and i bet TS does not mind a bit.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:49 AM   #70
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Keep them double (or triple) sealed for best resale. That seems to be the modern PP game, sadly. You don't actually own a Patek Philippe product, you keep it triple-sealed and wait for the right time to auction / sell it.

Wear a Tudor, Rolex, H. Moser, etc for very active sports / scuba diving of course :)

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM   #71
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I still feel ill thinking about an interview he did with Grainger Herr when the new Ingeniuer came out.

He does some cool stuff as well though when he is not kissing ass. Did a great piece on the Hanhart 417 when it came out. Full motor bike leathers on the works!
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM   #72
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Keep them double (or triple) sealed for best resale. That seems to be the modern PP game, sadly. You don't actually own a Patek Philippe product, you keep it triple-sealed and wait for the right time to auction / sell it.

Wear a Tudor, Rolex, H. Moser, etc for very active sports / scuba diving of course :)
What is triple sealed? Still in the AD's safe?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:35 AM   #73
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
What is triple sealed? Still in the AD's safe?
Back in the day, i recall there were three levels of 'seals'. Just checked the web, seems recently there was a 5040P Triple Sealed at the Miami Antique Show. You make a good point as now it may only be just two. My bad :(

Added: Have zero doubt PP will sell every new sporty Nautilus and Nautilus-like watch. But really, 120m wp them at that price.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM   #74
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Ironically, I'd wager the cube has an opposite effect and actually *increases* demand for Aqua and Nautilus lines, but time will tell
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #75
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
I read that there are smaller iterations in the plan.
So I found a comment here interesting in this regard: that it’s an existing circular movement in a new square case, hence the ridiculous dimensions. As Patek’s line has grown, so its movements have too. It would necessitate a completely new family of movements to produce a smaller Cubitus, and considering the recent trajectory of the brand, I doubt they’re into pouring in the cost or effort.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #76
edyu

Yeah PP watches definitely have grown. I learned today aquanauts used to be 35mm? That would be perfect for me.
edyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM   #77
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
Yeah PP watches definitely have grown. I learned today aquanauts used to be 35mm? That would be perfect for me.
Mine (5066) is 35mm. Perfect proportions, though I do have skinny wrists. For most, 5065 and 5165 - both discontinued at 38mm - were perfect for current tastes.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #78
TomInNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stern has a very smackable face in that photo. It kinda exudes arrogance, not confidence. The statement he made makes just confirms the arrogance.

The problem with tightly controlled, family corporations is that their independence can be both a success story and the beginnings of a downfall of sorts. Being so insular, and with a series of past successes from decades ago, you can lose touch with reality.

As much as family businesses can be successful, there is a tendency to rest on your laurels. It's natural, and not something exclusive to Patek.

But I think a bit more humility and an openness to outside advice would be a good thing, and something not to be so summarily dismissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TomInNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #79
Dr.Stu

As long as this thread has taken a couple of little detours, every time I read the title of this thread I think, “Taylor Swift has a take on the Cubitus?” Can I be the only one?

And I did see the green dial in the metal yesterday. Without rehashing a lot of the above, and things from the other threads, just No. (Oh, and I own Patek, have for years (including a PC, a Chrono, too).

Maybe with the next line, perhaps an octagonal steel sport watch, he’ll have better luck.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM   #80
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Back in the day, i recall there were three levels of 'seals'. Just checked the web, seems recently there was a 5040P Triple Sealed at the Miami Antique Show. You make a good point as now it may only be just two. My bad :(

Added: Have zero doubt PP will sell every new sporty Nautilus and Nautilus-like watch. But really, 120m wp them at that price.

It’s 2024- for heavens sake things should be quadruple sealed in this day and age. What a missed opportunity for TS and his cubitus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM   #81
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
It’s 2024- for heavens sake things should be quadruple sealed in this day and age. What a missed opportunity for TS and his cubitus.
LOL.... all cool, but joking aside i truly hope people wear them. Larger size is great for certain athletes and rappers.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #82
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
Ironically, I'd wager the cube has an opposite effect and actually *increases* demand for Aqua and Nautilus lines, but time will tell
agreed
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #83
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

the real test is year 2 and when the smaller sizes come out. if these end up in cases like the 5524, then it is a flop
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM   #84
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I sincerely hope PP doesnt treat this like a tax like how AP does with Code, like if you don't buy a Cubitus of some form you can't move forward etc like checking a box.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM   #85
Fla Gert
"TRF" Member

I canceled my Ellipse order from the London Salon on back of his comments. I told them exactly why. We vote with our wallets.

I'm sure Patek will be fine without this "hater". Seems like they don't want new clients anyways.
Fla Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #86
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Gert View Post
I canceled my Ellipse order from the London Salon on back of his comments. I told them exactly why. We vote with our wallets.

I'm sure Patek will be fine without this "hater". Seems like they don't want new clients anyways.

Cancel culture is back!?

LJubel328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #87
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I sincerely hope PP doesnt treat this like a tax like how AP does with Code, like if you don't buy a Cubitus of some form you can't move forward etc like checking a box.

I’m inclined to think it most likely will be.

Seen some other members say their ADs will allocate the Cubitus like any other Aquanaut or Nautilus; however, if the demand is as lackluster as the initial feedback implies, then my guess is they’ll use the Cubitus as a stepping stone for more desirable pieces.

LJubel328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #88
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Initial demand will be strong is my guess. Will be interesting to see how things progress over time. We do need to see more side-by-side pics of the new PPs and various Cartier Santos.

Old Today, 12:40 AM   #89
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Initial demand will be strong is my guess. Will be interesting to see how things progress over time. We do need to see more side-by-side pics of the new PPs and various Cartier Santos.
They will market it as strong, but have we seen a recent release as polarizing as this? This is the first time I can remember feeling like Patek has made a big misstep and mistake, now granted I was a poor kid with 3 dollars to his name when the Aquanaut was first released and not alive when Naut was released, but still... No recent release has surprised me in such a negative way like this as someone who loves the brand

This nobody is thinking Patek themselves will be quite surprised with the reaction to Cubitus after the initial phase of VVVIP just adding to their exquisite collections
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:18 AM   #90
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
No recent release has surprised me in such a negative way like this as someone who loves the brand.
It does sadden me to read the above. Being around horology for decades, I got the feeling back in the day Dad Stern worked so very hard to release new models and movements. It felt like PP was more... creative.

Another factor could be us longtimers expect more in 2024. Especially now that we see various very successful independent brands creating some utterly amazing mechanical movements and decorating them... using more watchmaker hours to do so... and priced 'competitively'.

$40,000 USD is a heck of a lot of currency... even in 2024.