The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #1
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Thoughts on a Trade?

Please let me start by saying, I know this is mad. It's a bit like selling an Italian sportscar and trading it in for a run of the mill BMW.

TLDR - Should I trade my GP Laureato for a Rolex OP (context below if you need it).

Early in 2023, I picked up a 2022, blue dial Girard Perregaux Laureato in 42mm. I was in love. I had pined for this watch for the previous 18 months and it was every bit as special and beautiful than I hoped. This was my way of outgrowing the Rolex spiral and moving into a world of higher horology.

Well, fast forward the best part of 2 years, and although I still admire the GP for what it is, unfortunately it doesn't get worn often, as my Tudor BB54 is my daily and I tend to wear my Submariner at the weekend and evenings.

The dial is mesmerising, and the quality of the finishing is a clear step above any Rolex I've owned, but I don't think this is enough. This is not the sort of watch that I could strap on anytime, anywhere, my Sub would no problem. I also get the feeling it's little less durable than any Rolex I've owned, and I can't really justify having it sat there for the odd occasion. I am also painfully aware that this is a 70's style homage watch, that doesn't have AP or PP on the dial, and I potentially see a further nosedive of these types of watches when trends inevitably move on again. It’s worth mentioning I bought the GP on the secondary market.

The trade in question is a straight swap for a 2023 Rolex OP 36 with the green dial. This is a watch I've converted for some time. It's clear I prefer smaller watches, my wife also has the 36mm Date Just in mint green so will be a nice match, and the intention will be for the OP to be my new daily. It will also be my travel watch, and I'll have a couple of strap options to go with to dress it down a little.

As I move into over a decade of buying / collecting / appreciating watches, It's obvious to be that I prefer to keep the collection small and to the point.
OG1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #2
Verticalforce
"TRF" Member

The issue is whether or not you will take a bath on your GP for the trade, even if you initially bought it at discount on secondary.. (early 2023 watch market was still strong).

I've seen brand new Laureatos (both normal and high end like skeletons) struggling to move even with 60% below RRP. For used piece, I expect dealers will give you exceptionally low value as a trade-in
Verticalforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #3
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Sounds like you’d be taking a hit on that trade so for me I’d say keep what you have
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #4
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verticalforce View Post
The issue is whether or not you will take a bath on your GP for the trade, even if you initially bought it at discount on secondary.. (early 2023 watch market was still strong).

I've seen brand new Laureatos (both normal and high end like skeletons) struggling to move even with 60% below RRP. For used piece, I expect dealers will give you exceptionally low value as a trade-in
I have an offer on the table, it would be a stright swap for the GP and the OP. Yes I have taken a little bit of a hit, but I don't see that ever improving, infact I'd expect the gap to widen.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #5
1st amg
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Ollie, the fact you have thought about this and you know what the financial implications are (small loss)....just do it! I know myself, as soon as the little wheel with the gerbels in my head start churning, its just a matter of time of when I go through with it. Get what you want and enjoy!!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
If you're confident that you won't miss the GP then do it. The OP is a great GADA watch that you'll never have to second guess.
It sounds like the GP does (or did) hold a special place in your collecting over the years.
All that said, it wouldn't be difficult to reacquire the GP if you wanted to.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #7
phillyEagles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two tone Sub
I was not particularly impressed with the OP when I owned it. It feels small on the wrist compared to a sub or a GMT. Less substantial if that makes sense. I’d keep the GP. A much more interesting piece to my eye regardless of resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phillyEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #8
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Ollie, the fact you have thought about this and you know what the financial implications are (small loss)....just do it! I know myself, as soon as the little wheel with the gerbels in my head start churning, its just a matter of time of when I go through with it. Get what you want and enjoy!!
We all know this to be true!
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #9
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
If you're confident that you won't miss the GP then do it. The OP is a great GADA watch that you'll never have to second guess.
It sounds like the GP does (or did) hold a special place in your collecting over the years.
All that said, it wouldn't be difficult to reacquire the GP if you wanted to.
Thanks for the insight. Yes, the watch was a real milestone for me and it really is a special one. But, it doesn't get used as I believe these objects should, so feel like a change around in a necessary one.

Great point about being able to reacquire, that is certainly very possible with the GP.

By the way, I hope you're not being hit too hard in FL at present.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #10
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Lots
I find the GP to be uninteresting. A Genta style watch that isn’t an AP or PP seems redundant and kind of cheap to me. That said, if you love it, keep it. If you are done with it, move on to something you love. This hobby only makes sense if you are wearing what you love. Forget the money, buy and wear what you like. As you said, any gap will not likely get any better.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #11
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I find the GP to be uninteresting. A Genta style watch that isn’t an AP or PP seems redundant and kind of cheap to me. That said, if you love it, keep it. If you are done with it, move on to something you love. This hobby only makes sense if you are wearing what you love. Forget the money, buy and wear what you like. As you said, any gap will not likely get any better.
Appreciate your thoughts. The GP certainly doesn't feel cheap, but I understand your point.

Just having a hard time thinking I am going from something semi special (at least to me), to a very basic and entry level Rolex. But if I strap that Rolex on and wear it most days, then the trade is worth it regardless of anything else.
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #12
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
I’d personally make the trade because I like Rolex more than a GP. For myself however…I’d go OP41.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would make the trade. You have stated you understand the financial implications and are good with them. You will get a watch that you want, in a cool color, and wear it. No problem. Do it and don't look back.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM   #14
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Any chance you could add the OP first and see how you feel about it and the GP after a few months or so?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM   #15
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG1982 View Post
Appreciate your thoughts. The GP certainly doesn't feel cheap, but I understand your point.

Just having a hard time thinking I am going from something semi special (at least to me), to a very basic and entry level Rolex. But if I strap that Rolex on and wear it most days, then the trade is worth it regardless of anything else.
Agreed. You are talking to a guy who wears a Deepsea most days. It’s one of the most criticized sports models, but I love it and enjoy it. Don’t care what most think.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #16
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG1982 View Post

I wouldn't overthink that. The OP is a very special watch in many collectors eyes but I know what you mean.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Sounds like you've thought it through.

I agree, the concept of trading an Italian sports car for something run of the mill sounds crazy on paper...unless you don't want the sports car any more, and then it makes sense.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #18
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

I’d do trade m? Hopefully you can get some $$ your way! If not, the value is in wearing the watch you want

ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #19
APhound
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on a Trade?

I think you should find a 41 or maybe a datejust 40 or 41 whatever it is- but that’s just my style.
How does your wife’s 36 wear on you?

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM   #20
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Just consider that not wearing a piece regularly makes it more special when you do. Are you okay giving that feeling up? If it doesn’t invoke a special feeling regardless - I’d do the trade. If it is mere lack of regular use, I’d keep it. So long as the specialness remains.

People can get acclimated to anything. It is why there is no end for many in seeking out something else…
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM   #21
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Sounds like you've thought it through.

I agree, the concept of trading an Italian sports car for something run of the mill sounds crazy on paper...unless you don't want the sports car any more, and then it makes sense.
I think that's precisely where I'm at, Larry.
Old Today, 12:05 AM   #22
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would make the trade. You have stated you understand the financial implications and are good with them. You will get a watch that you want, in a cool color, and wear it. No problem. Do it and don't look back.
I totally agree with this. I’ve done the same thing more than once, not necessarily at a small loss. But when I’m done with something, I’m done with it.
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:38 AM   #23
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I’m thinking you need the OP 41, if used to wearing the 42 mm Laureato. If you wind up missing the Gerald Genta style, everyone and his brother came out with a similar style watch in the past few years. Perhaps not quite the same quality as your trade, but very nice, such as the Tissot PRX Powermatic 80. Do the trade, but consider the larger size.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #24
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I’m thinking you need the OP 41, if used to wearing the 42 mm Laureato. If you wind up missing the Gerald Genta style, everyone and his brother came out with a similar style watch in the past few years. Perhaps not quite the same quality as your trade, but very nice, such as the Tissot PRX Powermatic 80. Do the trade, but consider the larger size.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You make some good points Kat, as always!

The reality is for me, I'm more used to a Tudor BB54 than the Laureato, and I much prefer the 36 over the 41 OP. Besides, I still have my 41mm Sub if I fancy something more substantial.
Old Today, 01:08 AM   #25
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
I think you should find a 41 or maybe a datejust 40 or 41 whatever it is- but that’s just my style.
How does your wife’s 36 wear on you?

Surprisingly well. Wearing it now with 3 links added. In reality, it's a big too big for her, like it's a bit compact on me, but I like the smaller fit in an everyday watch.