The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17 July 2024, 01:45 AM   #61
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomarih View Post
So she basically told me on highly sought after pieces the allocation process is similar to winning a lottery. (This didn’t make me feel good hearing that lol) and pardon me maybe I don’t give a good amount of context as why I like the Pepsi the most. Both of my grandmothers are now deceased and their favorite colors were red/burgundy and for the other purple/blue. They won’t be able to attend physically so I figure why not have something super special I can always look at and remember them.
Got it - thank you for clarifying. I'm sorry for your loss. I've been there and completely understand.

I think you need to try another AD that respects your situation. In general these are such, such silly games they play with us. They're just allocating mass produced goods.
Old 17 July 2024, 01:54 AM   #62
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
If you love the Pepsi, buy it grey. Even if you get a great piece at retail, it’s not the one you want.
Very easy decision here. You won’t regret it if it’s THE ONE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 July 2024, 01:54 AM   #63
watchmeout3
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've been on the list for a GMT Master II Pepsi going on over two years now. Told my SA I'd love to have this watch for my wedding next May. She has recently told me it would be very difficult as May 2025 approaches and my AD hasn't received a single Pepsi yet. She asked if there was anything else that I desire should she not be able to get it. My heart is set on a GMT Master II, but I only like the Pepsi. So far, I've been allocated a Sub Date and a Datejust for my fiancé. I want the Pepsi not for resale value, but for sentimental value as the colors on the bezel were both of my grandmother's favorite colors. This is whats making this a very hard decision. I don't buy grey as I've never had to and would like to not pay double the price. Should I wait it out even if it never comes or pick something else?

I’ll also advise you try another Dealer, it’s not advisable putting all your eggs in one basket. I like the fact you want it because it’s your grandmothers fav colors, I feel there should be something attached to any valuable timepiece owned. I have a saying “Every watch tells time, only Rolex makes you enjoy time”
Old 17 July 2024, 02:04 AM   #64
Shomarih
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmeout3 View Post
I’ll also advise you try another Dealer, it’s not advisable putting all your eggs in one basket. I like the fact you want it because it’s your grandmothers fav colors, I feel there should be something attached to any valuable timepiece owned. I have a saying “Every watch tells time, only Rolex makes you enjoy time”
I agree 1000% the Sub Date was an anniversary gift from the future Mrs in 2022 and I bought her a Wimbledon Dial Datejust 41 in 2021 for our anniversary. All pieces should have meaning and represent something. These are pieces we will never part ways with.
Old 17 July 2024, 02:14 AM   #65
Jasb
"TRF" Member

Buy it from the Grey dealer and sell the one the AD gets you to make up the difference when yours comes in, boom problem solved.
Old 17 July 2024, 02:46 AM   #66
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
As usual, I agree with Neal. No offense. I like Omega. Coaxial escapement is cool, and all, and I love the orange bezel PO, but it ain’t no Rolex…

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This girl is spittin' truth.

GMTII Master is an ICON in every color.
Old 17 July 2024, 07:04 AM   #67
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
My grandma was a straight shooter - she always saw things black and white - I need a panda daytona for retail price from my AD to remember her.
Old 17 July 2024, 07:07 AM   #68
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
We read deliveries of these are slow to ADs. I would not buy one used. I would look at another Rolex or another brand.
Old 17 July 2024, 07:57 AM   #69
blada4life
"TRF" Member

here is my suggestion - buy it grey as a placeholder watch. stay on the list for it with your AD. when you get allocated one, just sell the grey one or the new one from your AD (likely the one from your AD will be the one you sell) and call it a day.
Old 17 July 2024, 08:28 AM   #70
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
If a wedding and a granny story doesn’t convince your SA then go gray… it’s just a mental hurdle to get over which is the price for quick results.
Old 17 July 2024, 08:35 AM   #71
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
The OP should go grey.

Marriage is a long journey of expensive compromises.

Might as well get started.
Haha. Made me chuckle!
Old 17 July 2024, 09:42 AM   #72
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

I've learned that AD's really don't care and they've heard every story (real or not) about a special occasion (Anniversary, wedding, special life event) and why they want that Pepsi or Panda (or another popular pick).. it's just not going to happen without divine intervention. There are too many youtubers making you think you can just go into a AD and talk about a special event and they'll give in.. it's simply not true. And I'm not saying your story/situation is not real... just that the AD's don't actually care IN MOST CIRCUMSTANCES with new/unestablished customers.

If this was my wedding, and it meant THAT much to get it before the wedding, I'd find a new/unworn one on the grey market and suck up the difference.. you (probably/hopefully) will only get married once and being able to carry that watch forward with those memories means you need to facilitate the watch being there for the event.

I'm the one that posted about my AD saying they haven't seen a Pepsi in about a year and posted a poll.. I'm sure you saw it. They are definitely being produced! Makes me wonder if AD's can only order a certain amount of the more popular models VS more of the unpopular models if they don't chose the popular models? IE, they can order 1 pepsi, but if they don't, they get allocated 2 less popular models? And since they can make more money on 2 less popular models, they go that route? Pure speculation, of course.
Old 17 July 2024, 09:49 AM   #73
prushkovez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
Delay the wedding. It's a Rolex, for Godsake. Your fiance will understand, I can assure you.
love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 July 2024, 10:15 AM   #74
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Late to the party but wait…WHAT????? What the h*ll is a “wedding watch”? Is this a thing now?
Old 17 July 2024, 10:38 AM   #75
Plansb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Late to the party but wait…WHAT????? What the h*ll is a “wedding watch”? Is this a thing now?

Haha. Right? When I got married I could barely afford the wedding (and it was a cheap one). Some people have different situations though I guess? I do feel for op with this very stressful and serious situation where he may not get a Pepsi for his wedding. The horror.

Old 17 July 2024, 10:40 AM   #76
mpkRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Pepsi & Starbucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plansb View Post
Haha. Right? When I got married I could barely afford the wedding (and it was a cheap one). Some people have different situations though I guess? I do feel for op with this very stressful and serious situation where he may not get a Pepsi for his wedding. The horror.

It’s a first world problem. He may have to postpone the wedding

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
Old 17 July 2024, 10:50 AM   #77
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

So your wife gifted you a sub and you want to wear a second watch for your wedding? Why not just wear the sub. My “wedding watch” was a Kenneth Cole watch. I still have and treasure it, even if it isn’t a fancy Rolex. It’s the event, not the watch.

If you want a Pepsi, get one. Don’t use the wedding as an excuse. Wear the sub your wife gave you. Seems like a no brainer.
Old 17 July 2024, 11:29 AM   #78
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemdog View Post
I think the story with the grandma is what’s holding up the deal.

Just wear a red and blue tie!

Hahaha
Have to agree. Even if true, it’s an asinine reason to request a BLRO. Get a YM with blue and red, done. Or ask granny to like blue only so you can ask for a 5811.

In a seriousness, wear what you have or go grey. This AD doesn’t sound promising in your situation.
Old 17 July 2024, 11:37 AM   #79
thatswhatshesaid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
Go gray if it means that much. You can always stay on the waitlist and if one does land you can sell one of them
This. I don't know why more people don't do this with the hard to get models. Buy grey and when you get the call, sell one. is basically just renting one for a while. Life is too short to wait for something important to you.
Old 17 July 2024, 11:52 AM   #80
Mick006
"TRF" Member

Touching. So why does it have to be a Rolex gmt? No offense, but you sound like an entitled millennial. Be happy that you presumably have the means to afford a single rolex. You sound like you are trying to justify the need for a pepsi like a teenage girl.

As others have made clear, you aren’t getting a BLRO from your AD. So pay the premium. Surely such an important tribute to your grandmothers is worth such a feeble sum.
Old 17 July 2024, 11:57 AM   #81
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

May 2025 is 10 months out. Wait and if it’s not going to happen per SA, the buy on secondary market. At that time, ask the SA if you need to buy from the secondary market.

Check out another AD and explain you situation. Best to you!
Old 17 July 2024, 11:58 AM   #82
Shomarih
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
So your wife gifted you a sub and you want to wear a second watch for your wedding? Why not just wear the sub. My “wedding watch” was a Kenneth Cole watch. I still have and treasure it, even if it isn’t a fancy Rolex. It’s the event, not the watch.

If you want a Pepsi, get one. Don’t use the wedding as an excuse. Wear the sub your wife gave you. Seems like a no brainer.
We buy each other nice things/ take trips, etc all the time. Hell I bought her something special just for the wedding day too. She doesn’t even know it yet.
I know what she likes, she knows what I like ya know?
Old 17 July 2024, 12:06 PM   #83
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We buy each other nice things/ take trips, etc all the time. Hell I bought her something special just for the wedding day too. She doesn’t even know it yet.
I know what she likes, she knows what I like ya know?

I don’t think you’re getting what I’m saying. You have a Rolex that should already have sentimental value because your fiancé gave it to you. Why not wear that watch, instead of trying to force sentimentality onto a second watch?

You want a Pepsi and you’re hoping the wedding story will move you up the line. It’s OK to want a Pepsi, but the logic of wanting one for the wedding doesn’t make sense given what you have.
Old 17 July 2024, 12:20 PM   #84
Shomarih
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I don’t think you’re getting what I’m saying. You have a Rolex that should already have sentimental value because your fiancé gave it to you. Why not wear that watch, instead of trying to force sentimentality onto a second watch?

You want a Pepsi and you’re hoping the wedding story will move you up the line. It’s OK to want a Pepsi, but the logic of wanting one for the wedding doesn’t make sense given what you have.
We commemorate events like these with our favorite things in the world. Even if it had nothing to do with my grandmother’s I’d still like the watch but maybe not as much.
Old 17 July 2024, 12:29 PM   #85
Mick006
"TRF" Member

Why not a red and a blue Porsche? How about red/blue underwear for the wedding night? The connection to a watch is arbitrary and the relationship to your grandmothers bs. I asked all my relatives their favorite color and it makes a rainbow. Therefore I must wear a rainbow Daytona on my wedding day. Get out of here with that. Just say you want a pepsi at retail like everybody else. Your story is nonsense and will get you no where.
Old 17 July 2024, 01:03 PM   #86
L8r
2024 Pledge Member

If I told my wife I knew both my grandmothers' favorite colors, she'd accuse me of snooping through their underwear drawers, slap me with a restraining order, and then file for divorce.
Old 17 July 2024, 01:14 PM   #87
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick006 View Post
Why not a red and a blue Porsche? How about red/blue underwear for the wedding night? The connection to a watch is arbitrary and the relationship to your grandmothers bs. I asked all my relatives their favorite color and it makes a rainbow. Therefore I must wear a rainbow Daytona on my wedding day. Get out of here with that. Just say you want a pepsi at retail like everybody else. Your story is nonsense and will get you no where.
I’m sure the OP would never make up a story, but it does sound contrived.

Nothing is “good enough” for the AD. They’ve heard it all. Many true events to be commemorated are used but it’s often not enough. Even big spenders don’t get the Daytonas or Pepsi around here.
Old 17 July 2024, 01:52 PM   #88
Ghost410
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Go grey market
Old 17 July 2024, 08:55 PM   #89
Shomarih
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick006 View Post
Nonsense to you keyboard warrior.
Closed Thread