The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
RSC Bad Experience - Should I Polish?

Just under a year wearing my Daytona, running the chronograph resulted in losing time--about 5 mins every 15 mins. Hours slow per day if you left the chrono on. Ran fine without the chrono. Sent to RSC NYC under warranty. RSC says it's running within spec. I ask if they checked with chrono running. They emphatically claimed yes, but offered to have someone "wrist test it around the office for a week." I said absolutely not. They send it back--exact same issue immediately. It clearly wasn't tested with the chrono running. Nonetheless, the watch was in fine condition cosmetically.

Here's a video I took before packing: https://imgur.com/a/bMoZ2Au

I send it back to RSC NYC. They disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the movement. Said no parts needed replacement. The watch was sent back to me in the suede service pouch, which I hated as it let the watch rattle around a bit, but probably not enough to cause what happened.
Oh, by the way... had it sent to my office. They didn't put the suite number that I had on the form AND told them on the phone. So sloppy. Fortunately, FedEx went initially to someone else in the building who knew me.

To my dismay, there were scratches added to the watch. Angle and light makes a big difference seeing them. It looked slightly better after I gave it a bath, but still so disappointing.

See here: https://imgur.com/a/OMxO5o8

1.) 12 o'clock first link after the end link has scratches on the brushed part, like a metal object scraped it--but somehow missed the high polished center-link.
2.) Clasp scratches on the polished center part, on the right side being most noticeable. Scratches were apparent prior, but it's almost like they added some desk diving marks.
3.) Bezel most notably scratched on the 9 o'clock side, under the 80 on the tachymeter.
4.) Top right lug scuffed lightly.
5.) 9 o'clock case side light scratches, some swirling. Had a tiny amount prior, but they added more in 2 weeks than I did in a year.
6.) A little additional swirling throughout the bracelet links.
7.) Caseback on 6 o'clock has a dot-looking scratch. Maybe the worst scratch on the caseback.
8.) Top left lug has a small mark from a springbar. I may have actually done this myself, but 50% chance it was them. Can't conclusively tell from my before-video or by memory.

I frankly wonder if the watch was ultimately "wrist tested" prior to sending it back to me, especially because problem #2. All these were pretty obvious flaws to me.

Problem #1 bothers me the most, closely followed by #2. The rest are easier to live with, although certainly not favorable. I wonder if some of this I could fix 80%+ myself with a Sunshine polishing cloth with less material removed than a "real" polish.

Rolex has hardly acknowledged that they did this (claiming scratches were noted on intake, but their pictures supposedly don't clearly show the problems referenced). It's not been a very high-end experience.

I talked at length with a manager who initially offered to polish and potentially replace the bezel, since metal bezels often look terrible after polishing. I asked as a gesture of goodwill would they allow for me to pay for a dial swap to green, which was immediately shot down, but hey--had to try.

Once they received it, they took almost a week to call me. I spoke to the manager again, and she reiterated they're offering a light polish, removing a very small amount of material. Per my asking, one of their most experienced techs would do the job. She couldn't ascertain how much of my case shape would be retained, which I kept saying was of utmost concern to me.
She tried to dissuade me from doing only the bracelet and leaving the case alone, as it can apparently make it look mismatched.

I feel like I'm in a position of "danged if I do, danged if I don't" about a situation that should've never happened to begin with. If I don't polish, the scratches from this shoddy experience will bother me, but eventually, I imagine I won't really notice it anymore. If I do polish, I stand the risk of a polish job that I'm not happy with, and I somewhat waste one of my polish jobs since a watch can only be polished so many times. Not to mention the slight value diminishment of the watch. Not sure how long I'll keep the watch; could be another 3 months; could be 30+ years. This has definitely soured me a bit on the watch, however.

It makes me think I have more potential to lose than I do to gain by doing a full polish job, but at the same time, if they can do a great job on it, then "out of sight, out of mind" and I hopefully could quickly move on. I just don't know how reliable RSC is to do the job, especially given how rough things have been around every aspect of this repair so far.

The damage is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, but as someone who's OCD and somewhat babies his watches to avoid scratches, this feels more major to me than it would to others. I do wear my watches--heck, I snorkeled about every day for a week this Summer in this Daytona, and you can see the "before" video of how good it looked.

So, fellow enthusiasts, what would you do? Let it go and try to live with it? Polish the bracelet only? Do a full polish job?
MRBolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #2
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: = Want them all.
RSC Bad Experience - Should I Polish?

I can accept pretty much anything except for a mangled up lug because someone doesn’t know how to properly manipulate springbar tools. I’m torn … on one hand I’d want it returned to the condition you sent it in. On the other hand, that factory finish on the bezel and other areas of the watch will never be the same. Sorry I’m not of much help.

Amateur hour at RSC.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #3
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
I can accept pretty much anything except for a mangled up lug because someone doesn’t know how to properly manipulate springbar tools. I’m torn … on one hand I’d want it returned to the condition you sent it in. On the other hand, that factory finish on the bezel and other areas of the watch will never be the same. Sorry I’m not of much help.
The right lug has a ding that came with the watch which I bought from a "trusted seller" here, despite the watch described as being brand new. I didn't notice it until a week or two later, but it was clearly in the pictures I took of the watch immediately upon opening it. It was a huge miss on the seller's part. Within a couple months, I rarely noticed it anymore. So, that could perhaps be a sign that I shouldn't polish it. Here's how that looked: https://imgur.com/a/YM8nhnV

And I'm in the same line of thinking as you as far as what to do. The problem is, it will never be the same as when I sent it in. The question then is how much I value the original factory finish versus the scratches. I'm so 50/50 on it.
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM   #4
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Absolutely appalling, I would be gutted. The sloppiness mailing it back and crass offer to wear it around the office would have soured me even before scratches entered the equation (the one on the lug is what would bother me). Completely failing to address the reproducible issue with the chronograph is inexcusable.

I consider myself laid back compared to most - if a small scratch appears on the case during servicing, oh well, it’s just another part of the watch’s story and character… but this is not the same at all!

Short of giving you a new watch (which almost never happens), I truly don’t know how RSC should make you whole here. They have caused financial damage with the manhandling of your watch, not to mention the disrespecting of your time. Is it worth emailing Rolex corporate with a recap and having it sent to a service center in Switzerland perhaps? I would never send it back to RSC NY after that.

This must be what it’s like when the valet takes a Ferrari for a spin around the block and scratches the wheels and chips the door.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #5
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
Absolutely appalling, I would be gutted. The sloppiness mailing it back and crass offer to wear it around the office would have soured me before scratches entered the equation (the one on the lug is what would bother me). And lying about the reproducible issue with the chronograph is inexcusable.

I consider myself laid back compared to most - if a small scratch appears on the case during servicing, oh well, it’s just another part of the watch’s story and character… but this is not the same at all!

Short of giving you a new watch (which almost never happens), I truly don’t know how RSC should make you whole here. They have caused financial damage with the manhandling of your watch, not to mention the disrespecting of your time.

This must be what it’s like when the valet takes a Ferrari for a spin around the block and scratches the wheels and chips the door.
All well-said. And I also left out some infuriating details. The “normal” associates I talked to on the phone said some outlandish stuff. I was told that I could overwind the watch and to never wind more than something like 40 winds and then I was to use the chronograph to time very brief events and preferably not frequently. I told them it has a 12 hour chronograph with vertical clutch that I thought reduced wear and tear on the movement, and nothing in the manual says what they’re saying.
The manager I spoke to walked back those comments made by her associates, although she did say that frequent and extended use of the chronograph does use up lubricants more quickly and will require more frequent servicing—although not like this where it crapped out suddenly in a year’s time.
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #6
CH69
"TRF" Member

From what u described, i would be concerned with the overall quality from this RSC and not sure if i will trust them with any work at all.
CH69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #7
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
Is it worth emailing Rolex corporate with a recap and having it sent to a service center in Switzerland perhaps? I would never send it back to RSC NY after that.
I just saw you edited your post to include this bit. That is a a good idea, but I’m not sure how far I could get with them. The manager seemed to politely say that she believes I’m mistaken on a lot of the damage here, despite having the watch sent back to them at their expense and offering the polishing job for free. In my experience, a business doesn’t typically offer a free service to fix something that they don’t have culpability for.

My understanding is RSC NYC handles all warranty work now. At this point, I don’t see this as warranty work, but rather restoration. I reiterated to her that I know my watch had some minor wear when I sent it in, but this really was an advancing of aging that shouldn’t ever have happened in this context.

I asked her to get back with me after a tech can review how much material/case shape I’d lose to try to rectify the lugs so I can make my final decision. When I hear that, I think I may tell her I’ve given some more thought to it and am curious whether they can have a Swiss service center refinish it.

If a plumber floods your house, you don’t want to have them be the one to come fix the pipes after. And at every move here, RSC has done something wrong. I’m starting to lean a little towards asking them to rebrush that one link and send it back if Swiss RSC isn’t an option.

I’ll add I’ve sent 5 watches to RSC in the past, all Dallas until this one. 3 have come back damaged.
1.) Cellini. I took the case back sticker off (thinking they would remove it) and sent it off with a pristine mirror finish. It came back with a ton of swirls and microscratches. After a big fight, they replaced the case back free. Mid 2018.
2.) Pepsi. Bought an oyster bracelet, kept my jubilee. They sent back the jubilee in a box completely loose. It got pretty scratched up tumbling around. They sent me a brand new jubilee free and let me keep my old one. I sent an email raising my concern, and that’s what they offered immediately. Best case scenario. Mid 2022.
3.) now this.
Honestly, it sounds like they just about need to just clean house over there.
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #8
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
It sounds like a really sloppy service from start to finish is being provided by your chosen RSC
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #9
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’d go for the light polish option and have the case done as well.
These lugs are the only scratched up parts that would bother me.

Sending it to Geneva will only cost you time, frustration and money. They will not give you a new watch I believe.
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM   #10
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I’d go for the light polish option and have the case done as well.
These lugs are the only scratched up parts that would bother me.

Sending it to Geneva will only cost you time, frustration and money. They will not give you a new watch I believe.
Agree
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #11
Doood
"TRF" Member

Oh my goodness this is ridiculous. I feel for you OP. I would be pretty torched.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well speaking for myself in well over 50 years of owning and wearing Rolex watches never ever had a bad RSC service and had quite a few. Even my working tool watches when I was working as PADI/BSAC instructor and dive guide world wide again with watches quite scratched again never had a bad service from any RSC.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #13
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Lots
I really don’t want to sound insensitive because I understand how you feel and it’s justified. That said, I can feel the amount of stress you have from this through your post. They are offering to make it right, so my opinion would be to make a decision and move on. I own PM watches. They scratch easily. As someone who has had watches serviced at RSC and had a good experience, my guess is that this happens frequently but they usually polish and correct it before sending back and nobody knows it occurred.
This type of thing happens at car dealerships all the time. Someone scratches a fender or dings a door in the service area and it’s fixed before you pick it up.
If you are going to wear this watch often it is going to get way worse than that. Either polish or don’t. Tell Rolex what you want and move on….for your own sake
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #14
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Why would you keep using the RSC if you have had two (out of 4) bad experiences before this one? Why would you use them again now?
S’portEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #15
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I would involve RSC Dallas. I’ve seen too many bad stories about New York here. Otherwise this might be a case to try to escalate to the mothership.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #16
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Sucks, but RSC is very much hit or miss.

I wouldn’t worry about the scratches. Scratches on watches are inevitable.

Polished watches always look polished to me. There is no hiding the fact that the watch isn’t new anymore. I prefer a scratched up watch a polished one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #17
train-time

This is very unfortunate but we see it all the time when warranty service is done by RSC. It's not like when you send in a watch for full service and are paying for the whole spa treatment. Take the full polish and call it a day.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM   #18
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
Why would you keep using the RSC if you have had two (out of 4) bad experiences before this one? Why would you use them again now?
If the watch is under warranty and having issues, it’s my only option that I’d realistically do. An AD won’t touch a watch under warranty, and I’ve not been willing to pay for a watch to be done elsewhere—voiding the warranty in the process.
The Cellini was NOS from 2005, bought in 2018. Was supposedly lost in a former AD’s inventory, and they were able to activate the warranty card on the date of purchase. After sitting over a decade, I figured it could use a service.

The Pepsi had the 3285 movement issues that a lot of us have had on here. This happened 3 years into ownership.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM   #19
omar10213245

Watch: 126515LN (sundust)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
I would involve RSC Dallas. I’ve seen too many bad stories about New York here. Otherwise this might be a case to try to escalate to the mothership.
exactly what I was about to say. I've yet to have anything other than exceptional work and service from the folks in Dallas, so if it were me, I'd never deal with the NYC office again, and ONLY deal with Dallas.
omar10213245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #20
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

I think that will polish out nicely without much material removed. I just don’t think I’d let them do it with all of your bad experiences/luck.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #21
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Wow. Amateur hour is an understatement. As others have said here, I’d probably polish but there is no way I would let RSC do the job.

Honestly, even under warranty, I don’t think I’d send my watch to RSC. Plenty of independent watch makers who are far more skilled than some watchmakers that work at RSC. I’m not a fan of playing Russian roulette and hoping that someone experienced will get my watch. As far as polishing goes, RSC seems to be 10 years behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #22
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

I would be reluctant to send it back after they already screwed you. Who knows what else they will mess up.

Send it somewhere else for the polish.
gamingdoctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #23
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Can you post a picture?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:15 AM   #24
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Can you post a picture?
Several pics and videos are in the Imgur links above. I only have the free version of Tapatalk, so I can only add one image per post.
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #25
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Several pics and videos are in the Imgur links above. I only have the free version of Tapatalk, so I can only add one image per post.
Thank you. I don’t generally click on links.

Are the pictures of your watch in post #2 from @cdmorenot?

If so, this would not be acceptable at all to me. I’m not sure how they polish that out, unless they can laser weld …
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:49 AM   #26
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thank you. I don’t generally click on links.

Are the pictures of your watch in post #2 from @cdmorenot?

If so, this would not be acceptable at all to me. I’m not sure how they polish that out, unless they can laser weld …
I can assure you the links are safe, but understand if you don't want to click them.
Post number 2 is an excerpt. Right lug ding was there. Left lug ding I don't really think was there. Rolex is claiming now it was. I don't know.

The manager called me back this morning after speaking with a highly experienced tech who said they feel incredibly confident they can do the polish job and even remove the dings to the point that it will be indiscernible that they were there prior. The tech said I shouldn't notice any difference to case shape. The refinishing process apparently isn't always removal of material but also movement of material, which I guess is why they were able to make that declaration.

So, I gave authorization. They said it can take up to another two weeks to get my watch back, which I think is a bit long given the situation. This has been an ordeal, and I want it behind me already.
Old Today, 02:21 AM   #27
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I can assure you the links are safe, but understand if you don't want to click them.
Post number 2 is an excerpt. Right lug ding was there. Left lug ding I don't really think was there. Rolex is claiming now it was. I don't know.

The manager called me back this morning after speaking with a highly experienced tech who said they feel incredibly confident they can do the polish job and even remove the dings to the point that it will be indiscernible that they were there prior. The tech said I shouldn't notice any difference to case shape. The refinishing process apparently isn't always removal of material but also movement of material, which I guess is why they were able to make that declaration.

So, I gave authorization. They said it can take up to another two weeks to get my watch back, which I think is a bit long given the situation. This has been an ordeal, and I want it behind me already.
I wish you the best on this one. Post pics.