The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #31
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Thank you Michael for sharing real pictures. I personally really like the 5821/1A and 5822P, and can't wait to try them on when our local Patek AD has them. I'd definitely like to add these to my collection over time, but I do agree that the Nautilus is the GOAT when it comes to sports watches, and it makes my 5811G so much more special. Either way, I'm looking forward trying these IRL over the next few weeks.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #32
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I totally agree with this. This design from the 70s stands the test of time and is still king of sport in my view (along with Royal Oak).

Though the Cubitus shares maybe 90% of Nautilus DNA, a slight tweak to the original design via the dimensions has caused such an uproar. When I first handled the Cubitus today, I immediately think of the Nautilus, which shows how similar they are. If I'm new to Patek or new to Nautilus, I would be more than happy to own a Cubitus because the best DNA are all shared like the bracelet, dial, bezel, hands, markers, adjustable deployant clasp, and movement.

Below pic is from Hodinkee. See how similar they are.
Side by side the size appears comparable.

Looks like a measurement (case/dial) from 12 to 6 would be equal between both?

But then again, the 5811 has already been upsized if I remember correctly?
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM   #33
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

If it had been a touch smaller I think many more would have appreciated it.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #34
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
If they would have made it smaller, it would've looked much better.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #35
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

Correct, 41mm rather than 40mm.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #36
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Side by side the size appears comparable.

Looks like a measurement (case/dial) from 12 to 6 would be equal between both?

I don't have the exact dimensions but the L2L of the Cubitus is only 46mm which should be ballpark of the 5811. Can anyone here confirm the L2L of the 5811 - mine is in deposit box? Visually the 12-6 are close.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #37
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Thank you Michael for sharing real pictures. I personally really like the 5821/1A and 5822P, and can't wait to try them on when our local Patek AD has them. I'd definitely like to add these to my collection over time, but I do agree that the Nautilus is the GOAT when it comes to sports watches, and it makes my 5811G so much more special. Either way, I'm looking forward trying these IRL over the next few weeks.
HK AD will get them tomorrow, and the rest of the world should follow soon. You will be surprised by the 5822 - the heft is very noticeable. Yes do try them on and let us know how you think about it.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #38
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The uproar is not about the quality of the watch itself. It is about having set expectations very high and then disappointing those expectations with an astonishing lack of creativity. If the new model wasn't just a slightly more square variant of the Nautilus disguised by a less than ideal new name people might have been more forgiving.
Yes I think the lack of creativity and the close resemblance to the Nautilus might be a trigger. I had a chat with my collector friends and the consensus is there is nothing more to "invent" where watches are concerned unless Patek goes the MB&F Horological Machine route which is hard to fathom for a brand like Patek. Every new watch looks like another existing watch in the market. Circle shape, tonneau shape, square, triangle or rectangular all have been done. Maybe Patek could have used new dials, markers, bracelets, case and hands for Cubitus instead for this new release, but the success of Nautilus is hard to ignore and the continuation of that same DNA is a safe haven for them. It's almost risk-free.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #39
fredfiga
"TRF" Member

It’s a big, overpriced collection that lacks imagination.

After much anticipation and expectation, it leaves me with a bittersweet feeling. It could have been epic, with a diver or sports chrono, but it’s just more of the same, in a worse form. Thierry’s decisions are based on the assumption that we’ll love anything from Patek Philippe.

On the other hand, I’m very happy because I already have, to my taste, the three most amazing sports watches ever made by Patek Philippe: the 5066, the 5164A, and the 5711.

It's very nice to know that I won’t be lamenting not being able to buy new watches from them.
fredfiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #40
Carlazzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thank you Ichi.... always really kind.
Carlazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM   #41
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The uproar is not about the quality of the watch itself. It is about having set expectations very high and then disappointing those expectations with an astonishing lack of creativity. If the new model wasn't just a slightly more square variant of the Nautilus disguised by a less than ideal new name people might have been more forgiving.
Exactly. Additionally, as Ichiran points out, the Cubitus seems to share 90% of its DNA with the Nautilus which begs the question, why bother with a new design at all? Customers didn't seem to be unhappy with the 5711.
The Cubitus release only serves to emphasize that watch collectors who value innovative design for sport watches need to go Independent.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #42
Vipes
"TRF" Member

IMO, would look better if they lose the ears on the sides of the case. It would look more streamlined and flows better with the bracelet.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #43
D_Rolex
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing OP and the notes. Great pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D_Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:34 AM   #44
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: Golden Tuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikincooper View Post
The disc with the 1 on it looks like it just needs to rotate a little more clockwise to bring it into proper alignment.
Yeah but it’s been stuck there for eight days presumably.
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #45
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine these would be any easier to get if you can't get a Nautilus or Aquanaut.
I am sure Patek is already starting to feel pangs of regret, and yet they will make these pieces appear hard to obtain to extract maximum value out of the model even though I'd wager demand will be far less than Naut/Aqua
sampelligrino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:37 AM   #46
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes I think the lack of creativity and the close resemblance to the Nautilus might be a trigger. I had a chat with my collector friends and the consensus is there is nothing more to "invent" where watches are concerned unless Patek goes the MB&F Horological Machine route which is hard to fathom for a brand like Patek. Every new watch looks like another existing watch in the market. Circle shape, tonneau shape, square, triangle or rectangular all have been done. Maybe Patek could have used new dials, markers, bracelets, case and hands for Cubitus instead for this new release, but the success of Nautilus is hard to ignore and the continuation of that same DNA is a safe haven for them. It's almost risk-free.
This is what bothers me the most

It's a complete about face. Thierry gave the famous interview where he declared that he does not want Patek to be known as the Nautilus company, boldly declares the 5711 done in line with that, and then turns literally right around and has the elves in the factory clone the Nautilus, just make it square, and release it for the first new model in 25 years...
Old Today, 12:57 AM   #47
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
This is what bothers me the most

It's a complete about face. Thierry gave the famous interview where he declared that he does not want Patek to be known as the Nautilus company, boldly declares the 5711 done in line with that, and then turns literally right around and has the elves in the factory clone the Nautilus, just make it square, and release it for the first new model in 25 years...
Patek is not a Nautilus company. Just look at Russell's 5178G - how many collectors would want a Nautilus over that spendid 5178G? How about 5531, 5316, 5303, 6300, 6301, the list goes on. Then the rare handcrafts and enamel worldtime come to my mind. Plus those beautiful chronograph, split-second, and perpetual chronograph.. these watches are all in the collection along with the Cubitus and Nautilus. I would be more concerned if Patek discontinue all the dress watches and only sell Nautilus going forward. Market forces they can't control (demand for Nautilus) but they are still selling their brilliant dress watches alongside.
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #48
djnick
"TRF" Member

Seems like a watch that wasn’t necessary to create. Maybe they were too far into the R&D spend and decided to just bite the bullet and release at a time of year, which doesn’t make sense to release such a flagship watch
djnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:04 AM   #49
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Thank you for posting these pics. Much appreciated.
Old Today, 01:18 AM   #50
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Patek is not a Nautilus company. Just look at Russell's 5178G - how many collectors would want a Nautilus over that spendid 5178G? How about 5531, 5316, 5303, 6300, 6301, the list goes on. Then the rare handcrafts and enamel worldtime come to my mind. Plus those beautiful chronograph, split-second, and perpetual chronograph.. these watches are all in the collection along with the Cubitus and Nautilus. I would be more concerned if Patek discontinue all the dress watches and only sell Nautilus going forward. Market forces they can't control (demand for Nautilus) but they are still selling their brilliant dress watches alongside.
I disagree, but that's the beauty of debate and discussion online. To me, Cubitus represents Patek moving the slider more towards hype/steel pieces and cloning the Nautilus formula. We know they will produce far more Cubitus than 5178G, and again I don't see why Thierry would say we don't want to be a Nautilus company and then literally recreate the Nautilus for it's new "entry level" model. He's a smart man, so I don't get it at all, the case bracelet clasp dial are all identical save for "the cube". The dress pieces, to my uneducated guess, are likely dwindling in sales (and demand) compared against the Aqua + Naut, and this move will only push that further IMO

I would have far rather seen new Calatrava variants, maybe on rubber strap or interchangeable bracelet, as the new entry model release or something to harken back more to Patek's roots as a watchmaker and tie that in with current youth tastes, than another Nautilus spin albeit this time in far worse form..
Old Today, 01:22 AM   #51
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
I agree, and also this: None of us are privy to the details of their sales, development costs, and production costs. We also don't the details of their customer bases and how they are distributed in terms of geography, age, income level, style preferences, etc. Yet, Patek does have all of this info and they are definitely making very informed decisions about their catalogue.

Someone earlier posted that they are pivoting to SS models because dress watches have fallen out of favor. Your comment reflects how that is probably not true. The Stern family has been running an effective business for generations. So, it's best to conclude that their decision to create the Cubitus was a good one for Patek, and not some sort of bet-the-farm activity.

PS. I'm going to toss on my Calatrava today, lol.
321Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:28 AM   #52
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
I disagree, but that's the beauty of debate and discussion online. To me, Cubitus represents Patek moving the slider more towards hype/steel pieces and cloning the Nautilus formula. We know they will produce far more Cubitus than 5178G, and again I don't see why Thierry would say we don't want to be a Nautilus company and then literally recreate the Nautilus for it's new "entry level" model. He's a smart man, so I don't get it at all, the case bracelet clasp dial are all identical save for "the cube". The dress pieces, to my uneducated guess, are likely dwindling in sales (and demand) compared against the Aqua + Naut, and this move will only push that further IMO

I would have far rather seen new Calatrava variants, maybe on rubber strap or interchangeable bracelet, as the new entry model release or something to harken back more to Patek's roots as a watchmaker and tie that in with current youth tastes, than another Nautilus spin albeit this time in far worse form..
Patek released some modern Calatrava 6007 just recently, and before that, 6119. They also released Complications and Grand Complications every year, sometimes twice a year.

They are not a Nautilus company you are alluding to simply because they release Cubitus yesterday to complement their full line up of watch collection. I can still buy a whole range of dress watches at their AD or Salons.
Old Today, 01:29 AM   #53
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Sooooo presume they offered you one...which one you picking??
raclaims is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #54
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Thierry Stern claimed that this is a line with a new movement

I think people don’t like it not for what it is but the lack of imagination and effort are the main culprit.
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote