The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2024, 07:12 PM   #1
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Correct Box for the Explorer I 40mm

I have recently acquired an Explorer 40mm from my recent trip to Spain however, the box that I received is large which I'm sure is not the correct one for my watch, and I would want to know what is the correct Box for this model.

All my other SS sport watches (Sub, BatGirl ...etc) which I purchased from my local AD, all came in the small Rolex Box, however I've been searching on line and I'm sort of confused as they seem to come with mid size Box.

I know boxes are not that important to many but I like to keep all my watches orginal and full set.

Thanks
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 07:22 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well in general all the SS models came in the small boxes but now most SS come in med size boxes, watches like the DSSD mostly come in large boxes.But boxes are shipped separately from the watches so in many cases the box you got was whatever the AD has on his shelves at point of sale.Boxes are made in several parts of the world,so the box numbers could be different depending on what part of the world sold.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 07:33 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

If you post a couple of pictures of the box you got, including one with the numbers on the underside, some here could help.

Especially if they also purchased from Spain like you did. But others could share what box they got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 08:17 PM   #4
majidessa
"TRF" Member

I hope these pictures help. Also, the box did not come with the white sleeve cardboard.
Also, is there any idea what is the best place to get an authentic box.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2024, 08:21 PM   #5
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
I got my explorer 1 in a M box, which I thought was actually for pm watches only. But since they’re giving, I thought why not?
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 02:15 AM   #6
rohada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
I hope these pictures help. Also, the box did not come with the white sleeve cardboard.
The white hangtag will have one of the following designations: OYSTER S (small), OYSTER M (medium), and OYSTER L (large). I haven't seen an OYSTER XL, but it may exist for the Deepsea Challenge or others. Someone can chime in if such a designation exists. As mentioned earlier these boxes are shipped to ADs independent of the watch. Some ADs know what they are doing and will match the boxes with the white hangtag accordingly. Others, like my AD, had an assistant grab the boxes and she grabbed the 39141 set up and I caught it and had her grab the 39139 set up for my GMT, because the hangtag was OYSTER M. So, this could've been the original box from the AD. Just doesn't mean it is the one you were supposed to get.

Some of the Explorer 39mm watches shipped with OYSTER S white hangtags back in the day. While others had OYSTER M white hangtags. I believe it was year dependent.

39137.XX is the correct small box
39139.XX is the correct medium box
39141.XX is the correct large box
39143.XX is what I would guess an extra large box to be based on the naming convention. Again, that may not exist or be right.
I've seen some boxes with .XXXX behind the base 5 digit box number on medium boxes.

From 2005ish (or whenever Rolex started using them) the cardboard sleeves had no print on them. Around 2015ish the white cardboard sleeves had at least the 5 digit base box number. I think by 2018-2019 those sleeves also had the .XX or .XXXX designation on them along with the 5 digit base box number. My 2017 Deepsea just has the 5 digit base box number on it and looks like

OYSTER L
SAP 39141

I doubt the Explorer 40mm came with an OYSTER L white hagtag, but others will have to share on that front. I wish you well and hope this helps.
Old 12 July 2024, 02:26 AM   #7
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
The white hangtag will have one of the following designations: OYSTER S (small), OYSTER M (medium), and OYSTER L (large). I haven't seen an OYSTER XL, but it may exist for the Deepsea Challenge or others. Someone can chime in if such a designation exists. As mentioned earlier these boxes are shipped to ADs independent of the watch. Some ADs know what they are doing and will match the boxes with the white hangtag accordingly. Others, like my AD, had an assistant grab the boxes and she grabbed the 39141 set up and I caught it and had her grab the 39139 set up for my GMT, because the hangtag was OYSTER M. So, this could've been the original box from the AD. Just doesn't mean it is the one you were supposed to get.

Some of the Explorer 39mm watches shipped with OYSTER S white hangtags back in the day. While others had OYSTER M white hangtags. I believe it was year dependent.

39137.XX is the correct small box
39139.XX is the correct medium box
39141.XX is the correct large box
39143.XX is what I would guess an extra large box to be based on the naming convention. Again, that may not exist or be right.
I've seen some boxes with .XXXX behind the base 5 digit box number on medium boxes.

From 2005ish (or whenever Rolex started using them) the cardboard sleeves had no print on them. Around 2015ish the white cardboard sleeves had at least the 5 digit base box number. I think by 2018-2019 those sleeves also had the .XX or .XXXX designation on them along with the 5 digit base box number. My 2017 Deepsea just has the 5 digit base box number on it and looks like

OYSTER L
SAP 39141

I doubt the Explorer 40mm came with an OYSTER L white hagtag, but others will have to share on that front. I wish you well and hope this helps.
Thank you very much for the info, unfortunately the AD kept the white hang tag as he said it does not come with the watch. I guess each AD has its own policy as all my other Rolexes came with hangtags.
Old 12 July 2024, 02:35 AM   #8
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Correct Box for the Explorer I 40mm

Quote:
I have recently acquired an Explorer 40mm from my recent trip to Spain however, the box that I received is large which I'm sure is not the correct one for my watch, and I would want to know what is the correct Box for this model.

All my other SS sport watches (Sub, BatGirl ...etc) which I purchased from my local AD, all came in the small Rolex Box, however I've been searching on line and I'm sort of confused as they seem to come with mid size Box.

I know boxes are not that important to many but I like to keep all my watches orginal and full set.

Thanks

Not entirely sure but you shouldn’t have small boxes for your other watches. I have 2 brand new 36 mm Rolexes, an OP and a Datejust, that both have M size boxes, which is marked on the white hang tags and the outer box sleeves. You ask where you can get authentic boxes. You have them. It’s how your watches came, so I would not worry about it.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 04:58 AM   #9
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Rolex doesn’t make a “small” box currently. The small is called “medium”. I know - confusing.

Anyway, you definitely got a large box! Nice! I’d just sell it, honestly. They go for good money ;)

Who needs a box. The value is in the watch + card
Old 12 July 2024, 06:25 PM   #10
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Not entirely sure but you shouldn’t have small boxes for your other watches. I have 2 brand new 36 mm Rolexes, an OP and a Datejust, that both have M size boxes, which is marked on the white hang tags and the outer box sleeves. You ask where you can get authentic boxes. You have them. It’s how your watches came, so I would not worry about it.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Kat, I did not know that the white hang tag also show the box size.
Old 12 July 2024, 07:21 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Thanks Kat, I did not know that the white hang tag also show the box size.
Forget about box size a box is just a box nothing more, and the Rolex boxes are not the best in the watch world. The small box have been mainly being stopped being issued, but still some around. SS models today mostly come in the med size boxes, watches like the DSSD mostly come in the larger boxes. As for the white tags there were mainly for Rolex factory and AD administration purposes and not all ADs give them its just a bit of plastic.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 07:35 PM   #12
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
The only box that I thought was interesting was the huge one that came with the Platinum Daytona.
Zyfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 07:50 PM   #13
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

Thanks
The tag that comes with the watch has S or M or L on it to determine the correct box size, most watches now come in a M size box apparently, although I gather ladies DJ's are in a small box.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 08:18 PM   #14
Littlelad2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP and Rolex
Quote:
Also, is there any idea what is the best place to get an authentic box.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
That looks to be the same size box I got with my one (UK, Goldsmiths). I did receive the sleeve and the tag, though
Littlelad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:53 AM   #15
matthew P
"TRF" Member

FWIW I received the Small box with my 214270
And
The Med with my 124270

..Explorer, Spring Diver & APRO..
—I’m just here for the photos—
matthew P is offline   Reply With Quote