The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 17 August 2024, 07:14 AM   #1
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I don't understand the advice for a rollerball. Yes, it's marginally less faff than a fountain pen, but you still need to change the cartridges, and the experience is infinitely less special. That's where the difference is: there is probably far less chance that a fountain pen will be tossed aside in favour of a Bic at the first opportunity.

In that price range I'd not hesitate and go for a Sailor 1911 or Pro Gear. Yes, you'll have to buy from a Japanese seller on eBay to keep in budget (there's quite a markup if you buy locally in the US or Europe), but with Sailor's QC, I'd have no qualms at all, and have indeed done it myself numerous times.

They also come in a myriad of colours to scratch that personal itch, and the 21k gold nibs are the best in the business. Thing about Sailors too is that they're also absolutely zero hassle - they don't leak, they don't dry, and they don't hard start. And they are special in a way that no rollerball will ever be.

1911s are torpedo shaped; Pro Gears are flat-top with the Sailor logo on the cap. Otherwise they're the same pen. You simply cannot go wrong.

100% agree with this, if you’re willing to go fountain pen route. The Sailors may be more of an enthusiast take, but as an enthusiast, this advice is spot on, including on sourcing (though I’d still buy from Atlas Stationers).
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote