The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 October 2024, 10:51 PM   #1
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Daytona 116500LN thoughts….

Hello all-

Not sure why (maybe just bored) but recently i have been thinking of letting my panda go and adding 1-2 other Rolexes to my collection. I wouldn’t be selling it for the cash and would only be letting it go to trade for something else in the Rolex catalog

I have been enjoying my Pepsi very much as a daily along with my omega Seamaster 300m and have been thinking about letting the Daytona go for a sub of some sort (either a no date, or a Starbucks) and possibly a datejust 41 (not sure which color).

The cons of letting the Daytona go would be that my chances of ever getting one again at retail are slim to none, and some would argue that getting rid of arguably one of the most desired watches in the world would be silly.

I do love the Daytona and it’s a pleasure to wear. Does get noticed very often, even in situations where I would never think it would be noticed which is not my favorite, but when i wear it, it makes me happy. I’m unsure if I’m attached to the watch because i truly love it or because of the fact that it’s so difficult to get (at retail)…regardless, it’s a pleasure to wear and no matter how you look at it, it’s a SS Daytona and is special.

Maybe putting it aside for a bit and then re wearing it for a while would be the smart move prior to deciding what the outcome is…

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 11:02 PM   #2
EL Diablo
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you should keep the Daytona.

‘I do love the Daytona and it’s a pleasure to wear.
when i wear it, it makes me happy
I’m attached to the watch because i truly love it
it’s a SS Daytona and is special.

getting rid of arguably one of the most desired watches in the world would be silly.’
EL Diablo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 11:04 PM   #3
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Well the 11 Panda is better than the 12, so you already got that going for you.

I think you should put it up for a bit and see how you feel without it. This is a good decision. Also if there’s nothing else you ‘really’ want I’d ask why even do it? Because you just said 1-2 other models, not even specific ones.

I’d also say you should consider trading up to a PM piece for that Daytona if you decide to do it. Or even ‘up’ to a more refined brand like AP, Patek, etc. otherwise, even if you get 2 SS Rolex, you’ll feel like you traded your Daytona for two watches which are only half as good as what you had. Seen too many guys regret that decision, always trade ‘up’ unless finances are sticky.
Old 7 October 2024, 11:12 PM   #4
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
If money isn’t an issue and there’s no itch for another reference I would put it aside and out of sight. Bank safe etc.

I have often done that and experienced a renaissance with many watches that ordinarily I would have moved along.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 11:19 PM   #5
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Daytona 116500LN thoughts….

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Diablo View Post

‘I do love the Daytona and it’s a pleasure to wear.
when i wear it, it makes me happy
it’s a SS Daytona and is special.

getting rid of arguably one of the most desired watches in the world would be silly.’

You’ve got a point…

Old 7 October 2024, 11:23 PM   #6
Kingcobb
"TRF" Member

If you really want a sub.....move the smp....keep the daytona.
Kingcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 11:29 PM   #7
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I’d just add the next watch.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 11:32 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Speaking for myself not a Daytona fan very over hyped and overpriced especially if buying grey but today hype sure sells watches,if you want a Sub sell the Daytona.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 11:39 PM   #9
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Not sure I understand the post. Nowhere does it give a reason why you would get rid of the Daytona. If you like it and enjoy it, why would you get rid of it?
This is what makes us collectors….you simply add a new watch, you don’t get rid of any.
Come on man ��
Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’ve had four SS Daytonas move through my possession since 2000, currently have a black dial 116500 purchased from AD in 2019. Now retired I don’t wear it as often as I used to but still enjoy it when I do.
If you’re truly done with it sell it, but if there’s still some attachment hold onto it and save up for your next purchase.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM   #11
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Letting go of a watch that is unobtainable for most is blasphemy
Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM   #12
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

why dont you add the sub and see how you go with the Daytona? You can always sell the Daytona later on down the line
spellmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM   #13
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
It sounds like you have lost the love a little for your Daytona and I’d switch it out for a Starbucks
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM   #14
Farran
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestil View Post
Hello all-

Not sure why (maybe just bored) but recently i have been thinking of letting my panda go and adding 1-2 other Rolexes to my collection. I wouldn’t be selling it for the cash and would only be letting it go to trade for something else in the Rolex catalog

I have been enjoying my Pepsi very much as a daily along with my omega Seamaster 300m and have been thinking about letting the Daytona go for a sub of some sort (either a no date, or a Starbucks) and possibly a datejust 41 (not sure which color).

The cons of letting the Daytona go would be that my chances of ever getting one again at retail are slim to none, and some would argue that getting rid of arguably one of the most desired watches in the world would be silly.

I do love the Daytona and it’s a pleasure to wear. Does get noticed very often, even in situations where I would never think it would be noticed which is not my favorite, but when i wear it, it makes me happy. I’m unsure if I’m attached to the watch because i truly love it or because of the fact that it’s so difficult to get (at retail)…regardless, it’s a pleasure to wear and no matter how you look at it, it’s a SS Daytona and is special.

Maybe putting it aside for a bit and then re wearing it for a while would be the smart move prior to deciding what the outcome is…

Would love to hear your thoughts!

The Daytona is obviously a precious piece to you, I would advice you keep and add a new watch.
Farran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM   #15
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Only speaking for myself, I don't really like clinging to the past personally, always looking to move forward as life is constantly evolving and changing

I know myself well enough that once I've started to contemplate a move (whether watch, car etc), I inevitably make it happen whether sooner or later... go with your gut, don't be afraid of change!
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #16
rockysw
"TRF" Member

my guess is you are having an itch to get something new (I have those too). I would suggest you wait given you like the daytona and enjoy it. Unless money is no object, it would be much harder to add a daytona back in to the collection compared to sub or DJ.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM   #17
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the replies… I guess I’ll stay put for now

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM   #18
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
my guess is you are having an itch to get something new (I have those too). I would suggest you wait given you like the daytona and enjoy it. Unless money is no object, it would be much harder to add a daytona back in to the collection compared to sub or DJ.

Your guess is correct! Haha

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #19
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Diablo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Not sure I understand the post. Nowhere does it give a reason why you would get rid of the Daytona. If you like it and enjoy it, why would you get rid of it?

You guys missed some key words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestil View Post

I’m unsure if I’m attached to the watch because i truly love it or because of the fact that it’s so difficult to get (at retail)…

Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #20
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
You guys missed some key words:

Thanks Kenny!

I’m glad you caught that :)

Old Today, 12:47 AM   #21
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Daytona is the one model I'd recommend never letting go. If you want a different reference save up for it, even if it takes a long time.

You can't get the Daytona back without stress unless you're willing to haggle on the grey market.
goldboy is online now   Reply With Quote