The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 August 2024, 01:04 AM   #1
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

Trading in my Datejust - Sub41 Date or Explorer II Black?

Hey everyone,

Hoping to get some insight here. I'm looking to trade in my Datejust 41 126300 for either a Sub Date or an Explorer II, in both cases the all black versions. I've had the DJ41 since 2020 and I would say I only wear it 10% or less of the time. It doesn't suit my personality and I got it because it was the only watch I could get.

Price is not the issue, but I'm just hoping to select the right thing. Point me in the right direction if you can based on the following:

- The reason I do not wear the Datejust as much is because of the polished center links and all the shiny polished surfaces. It is a bit too flashy. I need a brushed bracelet and fewer super shiny polished surfaces, which is why I'm not considering the GMT.
- I'm a Dad, a lawyer, I don't wear suits every day. Typically I wear a polo and chinos or maybe a dress shirt with a sport jacket. I'm a "business casual" / "preppy" guy through and through. Suits are super special occasions, maybe 6 times a year to be honest.
- I love traveling with my wife and spending time with my kids. I want a piece I'll be happy to wear for a long time and create memories with, my wife and I travel to Vegas, Europe, etc. a lot and it's always fun to have a nice watch as a travel companion.
- Functions on both watches are useful to me. I'm based on the West Coast, I work on cross-border business transactions with Eastern time zones and also occasionally Asia Pacific or Europe. I also have two small kids so the egg timer on the Submariner is useful too for making meals and timing things.
- I've got money but I don't want to be flashy or give off the vibe that I'm rich or trying to impress people. I really just want a nice piece that I like the look of and will find functional. (This is where the Sub concerns me, I don't want to get robbed but then again would never wear it in London).
- The watch would primarily be a daily beater for years - casual and office watch.
- Price isn't a major issue but if all things are equal I'm definitely happy to pay less for an Explorer II. My friend's dealer, who is very legit, can get be a Sub40 for about the same price as the Explorer II.
- The watches won't be safe queens. I'll beat them up. Should I be concerned about the Explorer's steel bezel? What makes the better daily?
- I want to minimize regret in what I pick because I'm hoping for something I'll really like and wear for a long time, so my kids looking back will see me wearing it in every picture and it will hold sentimental value.

With the above in mind, does the 226570 match my criteria or do you think I'm better off just going with the Sub? Is the Sub too flashy for my taste? Will I just have regrets of not getting the Sub if I get the Explorer II? Obviously no one is a mind reader or psychic here but insights/experiences would be appreciated.

If I go for the Sub, is it worth it to pay C$2.5k+ less for the 116610LN 40MM version? I can barely notice the difference on the watches.

FYI, I've gone into boutiques with exhibition examples and tried the watches on. I'm torn between the two.
BLT2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 01:42 AM   #2
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2020 View Post
Hey everyone,

Hoping to get some insight here. I'm looking to trade in my Datejust 41 126300 for either a Sub Date or an Explorer II, in both cases the all black versions. I've had the DJ41 since 2020 and I would say I only wear it 10% or less of the time. It doesn't suit my personality and I got it because it was the only watch I could get.

Price is not the issue, but I'm just hoping to select the right thing. Point me in the right direction if you can based on the following:

- The reason I do not wear the Datejust as much is because of the polished center links and all the shiny polished surfaces. It is a bit too flashy. I need a brushed bracelet and fewer super shiny polished surfaces, which is why I'm not considering the GMT.
- I'm a Dad, a lawyer, I don't wear suits every day. Typically I wear a polo and chinos or maybe a dress shirt with a sport jacket. I'm a "business casual" / "preppy" guy through and through. Suits are super special occasions, maybe 6 times a year to be honest.
- I love traveling with my wife and spending time with my kids. I want a piece I'll be happy to wear for a long time and create memories with, my wife and I travel to Vegas, Europe, etc. a lot and it's always fun to have a nice watch as a travel companion.
- Functions on both watches are useful to me. I'm based on the West Coast, I work on cross-border business transactions with Eastern time zones and also occasionally Asia Pacific or Europe. I also have two small kids so the egg timer on the Submariner is useful too for making meals and timing things.
- I've got money but I don't want to be flashy or give off the vibe that I'm rich or trying to impress people. I really just want a nice piece that I like the look of and will find functional. (This is where the Sub concerns me, I don't want to get robbed but then again would never wear it in London).
- The watch would primarily be a daily beater for yers - casual and office watch.
- Price isn't a major issue but if all things are equal I'm definitely happy to pay less for an Explorer II.
- The watches won't be safe queens. I'll beat them up. Should I be concerned about the Explorer's steel bezel? What makes the better daily?

With the above in mind, does the 226570 match my criteria or do you think I'm better off just going with the Sub? Is the Sub too flashy for my taste? Will I just have regrets of not getting the Sub if I get the Explorer II? Obviously no one is a mind reader or psychic here but insights/experiences would be appreciated.

If I go for the Sub, is it worth it to pay C$2.5k+ less for the 116610LN 40MM version? I can barely notice the difference on the watches.

FYI, I've gone into boutiques with exhibition examples and tried the watches on. I'm torn between the two.
I have a sub and explorer 2 and would vote for the sub.

I'm actually looking at selling my exp 2. It does nothing for me anymore and really don't like it!
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 03:51 AM   #3
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMP mast
I have the sub 116610ln and the explorer ii polar 226570.

I adore the sub but since I got the explorer it hasn’t had a look in. I’ve been wearing the explorer ii since mid May and apart from 2 weeks holiday where i took a seamaster diver, I’ve only managed to wear the sub for two days. (My DJ41 hasn’t been worn at all in the time frame mind.)

Mine had one or two marks on the clasp but so far the bezel has held up really well.

I think the reason I like it so much is the legibility and the fact it’s something different. I’m not sure it pops as much in black but it’s still a cool watch.

You need to get both side by side for half an hour or so and see what speaks to you. At the same time. Not one then another a few days later.

Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 04:16 AM   #4
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Get the Sub. Iconic and more versatile.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 04:30 AM   #5
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

I previously owned the 116610LN. It was probably my favorite modern Sub.
Great, reliable movement. Goes with everything.

Personally, If I could find a Hulk 116610LV under the right circumstances, that is the one I would get. But that’s an entirely different discussion.

216570 Ex II seems a little big with a dodgy movement, but that’s just my opinion. Many think it’s fine and love it.

An AD once told me that the first watch most people get is a submariner and the last watch they own, is a submariner. FWIW
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 07:07 AM   #6
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I was on the waitlist for a sub for quite a while (still am I suppose.) I’d tried one on years ago and loved it but hadn’t actually tried the new ceramic ones.

I gave up and went grey but during that process, tried on several watches including the Exp II. Trying them on back to back made the submariners feel a bit shiny and something about the way the Exp II sits is a bit more subtle - maybe down to the bezel shape and colour. The sloping steel bezel makes it less of a block of solid black so seems a bit more subtle.

Anyway, I also travel a lot for work and spend a lot of time hillwalking. I already had a couple of diving watches including an old seamaster. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the Exp II, the more it suits my lifestyle and I love the pop of orange and the GMT function. Plus I have quite a few colleagues with subs and I’ve still never seen an Exp II on anyone else.

It’s getting on for 2 years since I got it and I still love it - it’s perfect for an everyday watch. It’s not ideal with a suit but I don’t wear one much any more and it’s still slim enough to slip under a cuff. I spend most days in outdoor clothes or jeans and t-shirt so works for me.

Like you, it’s a long term watch for me as it’s dated for my son’s birth year - I’ve got a couple of light marks on the clasp, bracelet and bezel but I only see them under direct sunlight and I’ve hopefully got another 40 years of wearing it so it’ll happen plenty more over time so I don’t worry about them.

The hardest choice I had ended up being white or black dial - I parked the idea of the sub pretty easily though still not 100% sure what I’ll do in the unlikely event the AD ever does call. I’ll probably decline now so the 226570 can definitely be a winner.
Mr Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 07:46 AM   #7
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I think the ExpII personally just from what all you describe I think it would be perfect for you.

I actually swapped my Milgauss for an Explorer II earlier this year for similar reasons and have been very happy.
Old 18 August 2024, 08:13 AM   #8
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

I have both, but sounds like the explorer is the better fit for you right now. While I prefer the sub personally, it is a little flashier (can be less safe to travel with) and doesn't have the dual time function.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 08:15 AM   #9
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Submariner checks all the boxes.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 08:21 AM   #10
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
The sub would be my recommendation
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 08:26 AM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My favourite of the two is the Explorer II but I can't tell you which one you like more, only you can. Both watches are versatile, the Explorer II is more tool like and less shiny.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 02:31 PM   #12
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Have you tried on both in person? That alone will hugely help with your decision.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 05:49 PM   #13
Torshalla
"TRF" Member

I think either would match your personality… though, have you considered the no date Sub?
The lack of date window makes it more casual, less ”obviously Rolex”… and I love the cleaner look.
I would recommend the no date Sub, which is my daily! :)

Torshalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 06:17 PM   #14
Lininq
"TRF" Member

The Explorer II might be the better fit for your lifestyle and preferences.
Lininq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 09:44 PM   #15
Max7857
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AK EXP II SeaQ
From what you’ve written I would definitely go with the Explorer II. It is under the radar, very comfortable, and takes the abuse of daily wear quite well.
Max7857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 09:51 PM   #16
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I’d go Submariner. It’s the icon, and does it all
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 10:14 PM   #17
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

Sub. Every time. But go 41.
spellmanski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 10:27 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
A Submariner, the glide lock clasp alone makes it worth the price of admission. It is a classic, iconic watch that could and will last someone a lifetime. I prefer the ND version for the balance of the dial. I do not need a date because I know what day it was yesterday so I know what day it is today and tomorrow. I also know what month it is so I know if we have 30/31/28 days in it. The Submariner can also be paired with the occasional suit or dress wear and blend right in. Rolex did an Ad campaign a while back that paired the Submariner with dress wear and it looked great. This is one decision that once you make it you will not have to look elsewhere or back. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230718_131346 (002).jpg (85.3 KB, 249 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 10:31 PM   #19
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
The Sub is the quintessential go-to.
Also, glidelock bracelet will give you ease of adjustment and perfect fit and the ceramic bezel will hold up better to scratches from daily wear vs the SS ExpII
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 03:28 AM   #20
Daveh3196
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2020 View Post
Hey everyone,

- The watch would primarily be a daily beater for years - casual and office watch.
- Price isn't a major issue but if all things are equal I'm definitely happy to pay less for an Explorer II. My friend's dealer, who is very legit, can get be a Sub40 for about the same price as the Explorer II.
- I want to minimize regret in what I pick because I'm hoping for something I'll really like and wear for a long time, so my kids looking back will see me wearing it in every picture and it will hold sentimental value.

You mentioned not being flashy. The sub is flashy. Almost everyone knows what a sub is and what they look like. It’s the only watch I own that someone comments on almost every time I wear it. Only once did someone say nice watch when I was wearing the exp ii. The Exp ii fits your needs perfectly… under the radar, date, dual time, and the flyer gmt function which allows for quick hour changes when traveling to different time zones without stoping the watch to reset the minute hand.
Daveh3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 04:45 AM   #21
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Ingenieur 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh3196 View Post
You mentioned not being flashy. The sub is flashy. Almost everyone knows what a sub is and what they look like. It’s the only watch I own that someone comments on almost every time I wear it. Only once did someone say nice watch when I was wearing the exp ii. The Exp ii fits your needs perfectly… under the radar, date, dual time, and the flyer gmt function which allows for quick hour changes when traveling to different time zones without stoping the watch to reset the minute hand.
100% agree with this… the sub is the most recognisable watch on the planet… it’s an icon, but like all iconic things it will get attention. The Exp ii is more subtle because, to the non-enthusiasts, it doesn’t “look like a Rolex”… and in the flesh they are absolutely stunning.

If you really want a diver then get the Exp ii and look for a more subtle diver from a different brand…. Perhaps a seamaster or a pelagos.

Try them both on and buy the one that feels most comfortable and makes you smile the most
TinFoilCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 05:06 AM   #22
phillyEagles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two tone Sub
The Sub is just so hard to beat.
phillyEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 06:03 AM   #23
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I think Sub, and the 116610LN you have mentioned.

I own the 116610LN and a Polar 226570. I find the sub more versatile, more comfortable and more useful. I don't find it flashy, and it's never got any comments. The glidelock and dive bezel beat the GMT hand of the ExpII from a functionality perspective.

Whilst I think the Polar is a fantastic timepiece, it's one I often toy with selling/trading for something else and it would be the first on the chopping block if needed. The watch wears true to its 42mm size, and the 22mm bracelet often initially feels a little cumbersome when switching from another of my watches, almost all of which have a 20mm bracelet. Despite the ExpII being more suited for travel, I typically opt for the Sub on holidays as the glidelock allows the Sub to remain comfortable in warmer climates compared to the heavy ExpII with only 5mm adjustment.

I'd choose the 40mm over 41mm Sub. Although I've only spent a limited amount of time handling the 41mm, the wider bracelet and clasp just didn't feel as comfortable to me. The slimmed lugs are nice, but the 20mm bracelet and narrower clasp is my preference.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 06:09 AM   #24
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Based on what I read, EXP II is the move.

If it's really just the PCL that bother you about the GMT, you could consider one and put it on a NATO which would be a cool look and have someone brush the links.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 01:32 PM   #25
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Sub is far from "flashy". Lol. I've owned and worn my sub as a daily driver for over 6 months and have gotten a single compliment nor comment and I'm a field engineer who travels all over West Coast in California inc Hawaii/Guam. I have the black dial and its a total monotone time piece and only a watch enthusiast would know its a rolex.

Datejust is far more "noticeable"..and Explorer 2 is opposite to both sub and DJ....there's a reason why its called "tool watch". But I'd handle it at a AD first. It looks and wears larger than both DJ and sub. And the stainless steel bezel may not be for everybody. It's a great watch but the dimensions are wrong, imo. Rolex should have made it into a 40mm case (same as the 5 digits which were the BEST Exp2).
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 12:47 AM   #26
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Trading in my Datejust - Sub41 Date or Explorer II Black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Sub is far from "flashy". Lol. I've owned and worn my sub as a daily driver for over 6 months and have gotten a single compliment nor comment and I'm a field engineer who travels all over West Coast in California inc Hawaii/Guam. I have the black dial and its a total monotone time piece and only a watch enthusiast would know its a rolex.

Datejust is far more "noticeable"..and Explorer 2 is opposite to both sub and DJ....there's a reason why its called "tool watch". But I'd handle it at a AD first. It looks and wears larger than both DJ and sub. And the stainless steel bezel may not be for everybody. It's a great watch but the dimensions are wrong, imo. Rolex should have made it into a 40mm case (same as the 5 digits which were the BEST Exp2).

Agree with this. No brainer! Get the Sub date! You are a lawyer, so need the date.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2024, 12:46 AM   #27
Brikev
"TRF" Member

I have them both and the Explorer gets most of the wrist time. I put in on the Rubber B band with the orange stripe and it looks and feels great. Also the most legible watch I have even had. I wear it a lot more than my Sub, Pepsi or Datejust for sure...........
Brikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2024, 12:53 AM   #28
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post

This is exactly where I'm at except that I've worn my sub daily, including all over the US and the world, for 19 years. My recently acquired DJ 41 blue stick dial with fluted WG bezel is way more noticeable.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2024, 01:43 AM   #29
Victor Cohen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LV /16710
Take the one that most appeals to you.
The GMT function is a gimmick these days, we're no longer in 1950. All time zones are accessible from our smartphone.

The same could be said about the time :) But watches remain an element of style and elegance.

However, if this GMT function seems useful to you, go for the Explorer II.

My personal preference is the Submariner for its all-round versatility, whether casual or formal.
One of the Submariner's unbeatable functions is the glidelock, which in my opinion is far more useful than the second time zone.
Victor Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote