The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 September 2024, 12:28 PM   #1
daviddgrant
"TRF" Member

Blancpain FF (42) vs JLC Polaris Geographic.

I am hopefully transitioning to a new job / career path after recently loosing my job (after almost 20 years of service) and want to celebrate this change, by treating myself with a new watch.

I was focussed mostly on GMT options, as a tickbox to the imminent travel my job will entail, and was interested in the JLC Polaris / Geographic. I however feel that the latest 42 Blancpain FF Automatique. Im almost completely sold on it, but keep thinking about the GMT function of the JLC.

Pro's and cons between both?

Would you consider the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms B2200-1130-71, which can be found for USD5-8k with GMT function and importantly the size I am looking for.

I do have the Omega Worldtimer, which I love for it's comfort and look, but and comfort, but it's functionality is a miss, as I cannot see the inner wheel with my 50 year old eyes.

Comments / Suggestions would be appreciated

(Rolex Datejust 41, Rolex Daytona Rosegold / Oysterflex, AP Code 11.59 Code, Omega Worldtimer, Omega Seamaster Trilogy).
daviddgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 07:07 PM   #2
dragantt
"TRF" Member

Hi, you can easily use the diver’s bezel of the FF as a gmt one for second time zone, the only downside is that is rotating only counter clockwise…
dragantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 08:42 PM   #3
misochew
"TRF" Member

Watch: n+1
My $0.02 is go for JLC. The Polaris dials are simply amazing. I have the new Chrono version and can’t take my eyes off it.

Also, if like their Geographic complication, look at the Master Control version. Same movement packaged differently. I personally like that a little more than the Polaris, and would buy it in a heartbeat if the credit card company didn’t expect me to pay them back.
misochew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 09:02 PM   #4
daviddgrant
"TRF" Member

The Master Control is a good shout, I will consider that too. Really sitting on the fence between both watches, I get the feeling I will convince myself to get both at some point :(. My hunt currently is for something within this year.
daviddgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 09:53 PM   #5
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
For me it would be the BP. A friend is a serious diver and has gotten into BP in a big way. He is doing timing checks on his for BP. The company sponsored a diving trip and he was invited. For me I’m in and around water quite a bit and in a wet climate quite a bit.

My husband has twice considered a Polaris. Twice at boutiques, Toronto and New York City, he was told to not swim with the watch and to not trust the inner bezel timer, at both places. It was very strange, both times. Of course the crown is not screw down. Beautiful watches though.

You can’t go wrong. Looking forward to seeing a pic of your choice.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 10:21 PM   #6
Easy E
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

The BP has the better movement, by a good bit. If you’re into that kinda thing.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 10:25 PM   #7
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not a fan of either and have owned different versions from both brands. While the watches are available I would look for a more traditional GMT, Rolex. New or vintage or anywhere in between.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 03:41 AM   #8
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I’ve looked at both and give the nod to BP, since I’ve read mixed reviews on the JLC movement accuracy. However, I’m still considering the JLC chrono full calendar.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 03:55 AM   #9
Cru Jones

BP over JLC for sure.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 05:57 AM   #10
ajw45
"TRF" Member

BP for sure. Swatch > Richemont any day and BP quality hasn't wavered throughout the years unlike JLC....
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 12:38 PM   #11
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddgrant View Post
I am hopefully transitioning to a new job / career path after recently loosing my job (after almost 20 years of service) and want to celebrate this change, by treating myself with a new watch.

I was focussed mostly on GMT options, as a tickbox to the imminent travel my job will entail, and was interested in the JLC Polaris / Geographic. I however feel that the latest 42 Blancpain FF Automatique. Im almost completely sold on it, but keep thinking about the GMT function of the JLC.

Pro's and cons between both?

Would you consider the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms B2200-1130-71, which can be found for USD5-8k with GMT function and importantly the size I am looking for.

I do have the Omega Worldtimer, which I love for it's comfort and look, but and comfort, but it's functionality is a miss, as I cannot see the inner wheel with my 50 year old eyes.

Comments / Suggestions would be appreciated

(Rolex Datejust 41, Rolex Daytona Rosegold / Oysterflex, AP Code 11.59 Code, Omega Worldtimer, Omega Seamaster Trilogy).

BP 100%. But I’m biased. Halve both the new 42mm (Act 1) and trilogy FF although not the GMT. Have a small wrist… 6.5inches flat, the 40mm FF is perfectly sized for me in every regard. Have it on tropical right now and it’s incredible. The very thin movement does need to be serviced periodically and I’m not so sure it’s anywhere near susceptible to shocks the way that 1315 is.

The 42mm is an amazing piece all around and it is still a big watch. Have it on sailcloth and still at times feels a tad thick. It’s a great weekend watch, but I wear it to the office weekly too. Took it on a few vacations and it’s perfect in every regard for that.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 04:34 PM   #12
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
My vote is for Blancpain every time.

I have the new Titanium 42mm Fifty Fathoms and it is just perfect on my wrist.

I also have a Trilogy GMT as that is my favourite complication (I have been that way since a child) but as it does not have the 1315 movement it is nowhere near as accurate.

The Trilogy GMT is 40mm and is a little small on my wrist so my wife now wears it but only when I ask her to as she thinks 40mm is too big for her (She is wrong).

You have to go a long way to better a Blancpain watch …….. IMHO the IWC range is not far enough.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 02:56 PM   #13
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
FIRST OFF

You win the “TRF Eternal Optimist of the Year Award” by celebrating getting fired with a new $15K watch!

Legend status aside, you can’t go wrong with either watch although they are quite different.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 06:24 PM   #14
Gollv0
"TRF" Member

Both are great and a tad pricey.
Gollv0 is offline   Reply With Quote