The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old Today, 04:45 PM   #181
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

So is the beautiful new blue dial, a faux dial to be dismissed by many as a gimmick or is it cool as ….?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:02 PM   #182
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
You are incorrectly equating something from a long time ago and something aged as the same thing. A child born in 1930 is an aged man today (patina). Reproduce a clone baby using their DNA and it’ll look like the baby from 90 years ago, not the old man.

A recreation of how a watch looked in 1964 is not (faux)patina. It’s just how it was. A recreation of how that watch aged over 60 years is fauxtina (ie fender relic custom shop guitars, and this new FOIS). For what it’s worth I like fauxtina, but the Ed White doesn’t have it.

well said.

I wish I could find the lume color chart that was posted about the about why the greenish/brown color was chosen. It was on this forum in one of the threads maybe by you or @traveller?

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:06 PM   #183
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
You are incorrectly equating something from a long time ago and something aged as the same thing. A child born in 1930 is an aged man today (patina). Reproduce a clone baby using their DNA and it’ll look like the baby from 90 years ago, not the old man.

A recreation of how a watch looked in 1964 is not (faux)patina. It’s just how it was. A recreation of how that watch aged over 60 years is fauxtina (ie fender relic custom shop guitars, and this new FOIS). For what it’s worth I like fauxtina, but the Ed White doesn’t have it.
To me, the EW in all photos I have seen, the lume looks aged rgardles of the claim to look like new. After reading on the OF further into this, I will concede your point about the lume not being aged, but rather a color choice Omega made to recreate the look of the watch in 1964. But to me, that's still a facsimile because it is not tritium. If they were trying to recreate the details, then why have a ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal? It's a bit of a conundrum.. but they chose these materials, inevitably because they would make for a more robust watch, and the tritium lume is just not a thing anymore in the mass market, so they needed to find a modern alternative to "recreate" that look with luminova. I get your analogy with Fender Custom Shop relics, but even with that, they have degrees or relic. From NOS, which represents the recreation of a brand new instrument, to the closet classics, which recreates a vintage instrument that has been set in a closet for many years hardly plated, meaning it could still appear new, but when you get in close to the details you might see something like finish checking or some light fading, etc (which is how I see the EW lume), to the light relics to the really roughed up relics. I have 4 custom shop instruments so I know them well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Here’s another analogy: Imagine an old photograph from 1960 that naturally had a yellow tint. Over the years, it has faded and yellowed even more. If you found the original negative and developed it today, the new print would keep that original yellow tint and look just as vibrant as it did back then, without any of the extra aging the old photo has gone through. It wouldn't be accurate to say the yellow tint is artificially aged. It’s just a reflection of the photograph’s original character.
Except that "yellowing" is a toning process done for a specific reason during the printing and developing process, usually archivability (which is more to my point), or... it could be that the papers used then were naturally warm, not necessarily yellow (more to Logo's point) Certainly, the negative would not have that yellow color back then. It's typically from a chemical process, usually made after the print is developed, one example is called Sepia toning which was ironically used to slow down the aging process of prints.
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:18 PM   #184
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
well said.

I wish I could find the lume color chart that was posted about the about why the greenish/brown color was chosen. It was on this forum in one of the threads maybe by you or @traveller?

Edit: I see it above

Here is also a good article explaining why Omega used this color for the lume:

https://monochrome-watches.com/omega...-review-price/
Old Today, 07:31 PM   #185
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
The white lume on modern watches is also tinted with aesthetic intent. Both Super-LumiNova and Chromalight are derived from strontium aluminate, which is a yellowish-green or off-white powder before it is charged. This powder is mixed with different elements and binding agents to create the final luminescent material used in watches. Any lume color other than the natural yellowish tint is tinted for aesthetic purposes.

The diagram below is from LumiNova, which shows all the colors of lume they offer and their relative brightness. EW could be C3, natural, or C3 dense?

I could be mistaken, but I don't think Omega used lume on the EW to give it a vintage look. Instead, they restored it to the same specifications it had when it was brand new. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I missed this post. I saw the chart on OF, but your further explanation is helpful.Thank you for that.
Old Today, 07:35 PM   #186
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Edit: I see it above

Here is also a good article explaining why Omega used this color for the lume:

https://monochrome-watches.com/omega...-review-price/
Will give it a read. Thanks
Edit: even in this article they are calling it "fauxtina" so...
Old Today, 07:40 PM   #187
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Will give it a read. Thanks
Edit: even in this article they are calling it "fauxtina" so...

Ummmm they said NOT to use fauxtina …

Finally, the hands have been modelled after the 105.003, meaning that, unlike the CK2998, they have the classic white colour and baton design – this reference was the first to use the Professional hands, while the CK2998 had metallic Alpha hands. This also means a white central seconds hand with a diamond-shaped tip. In the same vein, the subsidiary hands are painted white. Finally, Omega has decided not to use “fauxtina” and to stick as close as possible to the original colour of tritium paint (when new at least). As such, the hands and hours indexes are filled with light-beige-coloured Super-LumiNova.

Old Today, 08:40 PM   #188
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
So looks like faux patina, just a lighter color. I'm not the one saying I don't like faux patina (I could take it or leave it)... your comment on your dislike was interesting is all since you like the EW.

This is a completely different watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:38 PM   #189
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ummmm they said NOT to use fauxtina …

Finally, the hands have been modelled after the 105.003, meaning that, unlike the CK2998, they have the classic white colour and baton design – this reference was the first to use the Professional hands, while the CK2998 had metallic Alpha hands. This also means a white central seconds hand with a diamond-shaped tip. In the same vein, the subsidiary hands are painted white. Finally, Omega has decided not to use “fauxtina” and to stick as close as possible to the original colour of tritium paint (when new at least). As such, the hands and hours indexes are filled with light-beige-coloured Super-LumiNova.

Ah my bad. Im in a rush this morning and just did a quick glance. I need to read the whole article later when i have the time.