The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM   #61
MHB
"TRF" Member

Watch: VTNR, 214270, FXD
I’m wearing my Tokyo 2020 Panda right now with the newer style bracelet that I sourced. Maybe my favorite watch. The white dial speedie is nice though.
MHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #62
Alfa2109
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16500LN White Dial
I’ve never been a Speedy fan. But this one, which I bought about three weeks ago, I found irresistible. I wouldn’t say no to the white dial SS Daytona if my AD offered it to me, for sure. But the white Speedy is an excellent and beautiful watch. (And the comments about its not being adequately water resistant are unfounded. Omega says so (a watch can’t meet METAS standards or NASA’s if it isn’t water resistant). Lots of Speedy owners say so. And, after having swum in the Aegean Sea and two pools with mine two week ago, I say so, too.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6329, 16528, 116506, 6175, 326934 (blue), 126719BLRO (meteorite), 1803 (coral stella), AP 26860ST (blue)
Alfa2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM   #63
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHB View Post
I’m wearing my Tokyo 2020 Panda right now with the newer style bracelet that I sourced. Maybe my favorite watch. The white dial speedie is nice though.
I like your Tokyo panda even more than this new white dial speedy
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM   #64
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Both great watches.

I’ll borrow a maxim from sports though…

“The best ability is availability”.

If I walked into a Rolex/Omega AD and they had both available at retail, I’d take the Daytona. There is just something about a ceramic bezel combined with black outlined subdials that just make it incredible.

However, the realization is:

1. I’ll never be offered a SS Daytona (any color).
2. I will never pay such an exorbitant gray premium for a SS Daytona. If I am spending $30k+ for a Daytona, it will be gold.

That’s why I appreciate the Speddy so much for what it is. I just moved on from a black dial 3861 and there is a good chance that money will help fund a white dial 3861.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #65
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
The main thing is speedy is not water friendly. Theres a single gasket on the crown that gives it 30m wr. No gaskets on the pushers and no screw down crown.

Rolex (other than celini) are all WR watches with screw down crown. And of course, daytona has white gold and Speedy does not.

That being said, I handled it in Omega boutique in Vegas back in July and its a great and better looking watch. The white dial is lacquered and the black accents are slightly polished. It pops more than daytona.

But having a pool and hot tub in my backyard, I prefer watches with screw down crown.
Two things here. First, the Speedmaster is 50 meters water resistant not 30. Second, 50 meters means 50 meters. You can swim with a Speedmaster just fine.

From Omega: All current OMEGA watches are water resistant to the depth defined by the model specifications, provided that the components ensuring the water resistance are intact. This means that an OMEGA watch that is water resistant to 30 metres can be worn for swimming at depths of up to 30 metres underwater for extended periods without restriction.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #66
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Two things here. First, the Speedmaster is 50 meters water resistant not 30. Second, 50 meters means 50 meters. You can swim with a Speedmaster just fine.

From Omega: All current OMEGA watches are water resistant to the depth defined by the model specifications, provided that the components ensuring the water resistance are intact. This means that an OMEGA watch that is water resistant to 30 metres can be worn for swimming at depths of up to 30 metres underwater for extended periods without restriction.
Yep.

I just don’t understand why people keep saying this. Archer (who is an Omega watchmaker over on the Omegaforums.net) has debunked this misinformation time and time again.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #67
smugtech
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHB View Post
What's a tokyo panda?
smugtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:23 AM   #68
MHB
"TRF" Member

Watch: VTNR, 214270, FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by smugtech View Post
What's a tokyo panda?
It’s a special edition limited to 2020 pieces for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (which didn’t take place until 2021 due to the pandemic). It comes with the last generation bracelet but i sourced the new speedy bracelet and it fits perfectly. The dial is technically silver but it very much reads as a panda dial. I’d post a picture but I always have trouble doing so on this site. I love the watch. I call it the Pandamic
MHB is offline   Reply With Quote