The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 September 2024, 11:45 AM   #1
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Anyone using a deployment clasp on their Lang?

Finally picked up a Lang Datograph and been considering adding a deployment clasp. Wanted to see thoughts from any owners who have, or have had one. In the past have always preferred the ease of clasps vs a traditional strap.

Thanks!
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 11:50 AM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I don’t own a Lange, but all of my leather strap watches - Omega, IWC, Moser, VC, Cartier, Panerai - have a deployant clasp. It is a must have for me.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 02:29 PM   #3
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I don’t own a Lange, but all of my leather strap watches - Omega, IWC, Moser, VC, Cartier, Panerai - have a deployant clasp. It is a must have for me.
Makes sense. All my strap pieces came with clasps.
Old 17 September 2024, 04:09 PM   #4
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

I was set on buying one for my Lange 1 Time Zone, but once I saw one and tried it on at the ALS boutique I changed my mind. It was too thick for my preference, also would have required a custom cut strap as no matter how short one side is, the deployant will be be lop sided and asymmetrical to the watch, making it uncomfortable. Given the high cost , it didn’t meet my expectations and preferred sticking to the pin buckle.

My personal experience of course!
gmtmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 06:27 PM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I am actually the exact opposite. I am not a fan of deployant clasps. I find them far less comfortable than traditional pin buckles. So if given a choice I would opt to not have a deployant. I can also tell you as someone who owned both a Dato and Double Split, it did not help with the balance or lack of balance of those timepieces for me.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM   #6
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtmister View Post
I was set on buying one for my Lange 1 Time Zone, but once I saw one and tried it on at the ALS boutique I changed my mind. It was too thick for my preference, also would have required a custom cut strap as no matter how short one side is, the deployant will be be lop sided and asymmetrical to the watch, making it uncomfortable. Given the high cost , it didn’t meet my expectations and preferred sticking to the pin buckle.

My personal experience of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I am actually the exact opposite. I am not a fan of deployant clasps. I find them far less comfortable than traditional pin buckles. So if given a choice I would opt to not have a deployant. I can also tell you as someone who owned both a Dato and Double Split, it did not help with the balance or lack of balance of those timepieces for me.
I appreciate the feedback. I'll give it a go as is for a bit and see how that feels.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #7
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
Congrats on your recent addition. I have both a Dato and ZW and I’m partial to pin buckle straps. Granted it’s a matter of personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM   #8
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgg43c View Post
Congrats on your recent addition. I have both a Dato and ZW and I’m partial to pin buckle straps. Granted it’s a matter of personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thx! Also been considering a custom strap, I really like how this looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image 2.jpg (95.6 KB, 52 views)
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #9
Watchlurker11
"TRF" Member

I have deployants for all of my Langes (like you i like the ease and security of deployants. But I echo the points above. If you are looking at the single fold deployant, if you have a smaller wrist then the positioning of the deployant can be uncomfortable over time as it will ride up the side of your wrist, even if you go for the OE short strap. I have smaller wrists and did not go the custom route, if you did you can probably get it better positioned. I only really notice if i'm wearing a heavier platinum model.

In short:
pros: lower risk of dropping it, less wear and tear on the strap, if you went platinum, then it helps balance the weight of the watch.

cons: cost, potential comfort, can get in the way if you want to look at the movement.

Lange also has a double fold butterfly deployant that can alleviate some of the comfort issues, but i prefer the heft of the single fold.
Watchlurker11 is offline   Reply With Quote