The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM   #31
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Are you going to be wearing a wetsuit? If so, as a precaution, I would wear the watch under my wetsuit.
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM   #32
gerry100
"TRF" Member

make sure the crown is tight
gerry100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:13 AM   #33
Exceeder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
id do it long as it was serviced in last year or two
Exceeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #34
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Lol at articles like this one stating you shouldn't take a 200m watch scuba diving, you know, like literal Submariners were rated to as recent 1989?

Utter nonsense
The oceaneva piece says any 100m rated watch you plan to scuba dive with should have an HEV

They've completely missed the entire point of the HEV and why its considered necessary for saturation divers operating in a helium/oxygen environment

Safe to say that whilst the first of those linked articles should be read with some amount of caution, the second is absolute rubbish

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM   #35
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander C. View Post
Are you going to be wearing a wetsuit? If so, as a precaution, I would wear the watch under my wetsuit.
I'm curious - in case of spring bar/link pin failure?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM   #36
chunk2020
"TRF" Member

To how the watch would hold up I can’t speak to but as a Divemaster and having prev been in the industry the main reason I would rarely ever wear one of my “proper” watches out/down is simply because you’re generally on a wobbly boat, surrounded by metal corners/edges and in close quarters etc and when you’re getting your (heavy) kit on don’t want to snag it on the head of the watch etc. unless you take it off, kit up, then put it back on. But where do you put it then? On a shelf, in your fin, get someone else wobbling about to hold it.

I just kinda just having something on your mind instead of being clear headed going down.

if you're wearing it to then have the memory attached to the watch or because you don't want to leave it in the hotel then go for it.

just my personal thoughts. and generally as a DM we'll always be watching closely as to how people get ready before going in.

if someone is faffing around with a non essential/superfluous piece of equipment, we'll be keeping a bit of a closer eye on them underwater. i guess it just saves you a few seconds once you've descended as you'd figure it pretty quick anyway. same would just as easily apply to someone without much experience faffing with their go pro.

obv the mele pre dive is often dictated by the sea conditions, entry method and then water temp for whether youre in a rashie or a thick wetsuit etc

MOST IMPORTANT may i please stress.. have an awesome time doing one of the coolest activities on earth. good on you for making the effort. enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunk2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #37
chunk2020
"TRF" Member

May I ask where you’re going diving out of interest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunk2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM   #38
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I'm curious - in case of spring bar/link pin failure?
No. I am thinking more of (1) additional protection against banging it against metal, coral, rocks, etc., and (2) because watches are tested at static pressure, eliminating the effect of water movement at depth. I understand why someone would want to wear their watch while scuba diving rather than leaving it on the boat or in their lodging, but really, watches rated to 10 ATM are not designed for scuba diving. And I consider a 40-50 meter dive (mentioned by the OP) to be a deep dive -- certainly deeper than I've ever gone (or would want to go).
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #39
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
No. I am thinking more of (1) additional protection against banging it against metal, coral, rocks, etc., and (2) because watches are tested at static pressure, eliminating the effect of water movement at depth. I understand why someone would want to wear their watch while scuba diving rather than leaving it on the boat or in their lodging, but really, watches rated to 10 ATM are not designed for scuba diving. And I consider a 40-50 meter dive (mentioned by the OP) to be a deep dive -- certainly deeper than I've ever gone (or would want to go).
Well my 16600 SD had a very hard life working as a real tool watch as PADI/BSAC instructor and dive guide, with well over 600 hours underwater. And it got bashed often and sometimes abused but never wore it under my wet suite. It was regularly serviced in its life by a few different RSC world wide, now almost 25 years old still looking good and will still be ticking when my now old ticker stops.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #40
hellobandit
"TRF" Member

I have already dived several times between 20 and 38 meters deep with my Submariner, my Explorer 1, my Seiko SKX, my GShock. I have never had any problems. You can go there without any problem in my opinion.
hellobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #41
SearChart
TechXpert

I'd trust my perpetual at 200m deep, even though it is rated to 100m. I'd most certainly see no issue in going to scuba diving depths with an explorer 2.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #42
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk4s83 View Post
What you see printed on the dial is a static depth rating and has pretty nothing to do with how deep underwater you can go in real life. Even though it will probably handle it just fine the Explorer II is definitely NOT rated by Rolex for scuba diving. There's a ton of articles about it, here are just two:
https://www.watchaffinity.co.uk/buye...ngs-explained/
https://oceaneva.com/blogs/watch-edu...PnoFez26c66EId
I agree with Dirt, Bas and others.

But both those links have misinformation and should be deleted.

But they were slightly amusing.

Along with some of the other misinformation on this thread.

We do have a joke section ion TRF.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #43
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I agree with Dirt, Bas and others.

But both those links have misinformation and should be deleted.

But they were slightly amusing.

Along with some of the other misinformation on this thread.

We do have a joke section ion TRF.
What is the misinformation in the Watch Affinity link?
Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM   #44
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
…and (2) because watches are tested at static pressure, eliminating the effect of water movement at depth.
I remember when I started here there were many statements, jokes, memes and even a few diagrams about why you shouldn’t wear your Rolex swimming or in the shower to protect it from ‘water movement.’
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #45
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I remember when I started here there were many statements, jokes, memes and even a few diagrams about why you shouldn’t wear your Rolex swimming or in the shower to protect it from ‘water movement.’
The point is that a wetsuit will help protect the watch against damage and water ingress. The OP is not using his watch as a dive computer anyway, so he doesn't need to see it. And the fact is, watches rated to 100 meters are not designed to be dive watches. I'm surprised anyone is suggesting otherwise. Sure, someone may go scuba diving with their 10 ATM watch and not have an issue, just like someone may fall into a pool with their 3 ATM watch and not have an issue. But to suggest to the OP that he does not need to worry about diving with his 10 ATM watch, especially when he mentions depths of 40-50 meters, is not doing him any favors.
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #46
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
What is the misinformation in the Watch Affinity link?
The other link has this little gem which is ridiculous: "But do keep in mind any 300m rated watch, from a reputable brand, should have a helium escape valve to equalize pressure" Inclusion of such information would indicate the author has no idea what they are talking about and would lead me to distrust any other information printed there.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote