The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 07:43 AM   #421
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagnepapi View Post
What y’all think? Is cubitus worth the extra $10K?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think it’s worth the 10k difference. And I suspect Patek is positioning the Cubitus to be above both the Nautilus and the Aquanaut as per my previous comment. Even looking at the website, the Cubitus is listed first from the left, just below the grand complication.

It’s a very unusual situation of what Patek is doing - trying to eclipse its own product with another similarly looking product but at higher price point.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #422
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
This kinda looks like a watch that was designed by committee. The committee being sales, marketing, design, jewelers, engineering/technical, and the finance guys.....plus Stern having the most say.

It feels like marketing was saying "We need a new entry level model to create new markets for Patek."

But the sales guys said "Can't make it a dress watch then, because no one buys dress watches, and it's not what young hip people want."

And then the design folks said "Well it turns out young people want sports watches, and what's more iconic a sports watch for Patek than the Nautilus."

But Stern then said "Look, we don't want to be the Nautilus company, so we have to think of something else."

And then the finance people said "Well, if we go completely new, then we're talking about extended design and development time, new tooling, new machinery, lots of sunk costs we may never recover if this thing is a dud."

Then the marketing people said "Well we can't pass on those costs to the young hip consumers we are targeting....it would be too expensive."

Then Stern said "Ya, you are correct. We can make it expensive, but not too expensive."

Then the technical team said "Minimum, new watch, possibly new, lower cost movement, new tooling etc.....tens of millions of Swiss Franc.....probably more. Plus no guarantees on timing."

Stern then says "So where can be lower the price point? Where can we go? How about quartz?"

Everyone except Stern starts laughing uncontrollably....almost rolling on the floor....until they notice Stern is not laughing.

They all collectively catch their breath, and then say "Ya....quartz. Brilliant idea."

The design guys then say "Okay, we can make something Nautilus/Aquanaut-ish. Will save money and costs. We can design something quickly."

Technical guys say "Quartz is done. We already know where to go. Solid case back, even better since we don't need to make the quartz look good."

Finance people says "A million or two Swiss Francs max on costs."

Technical guys says "Give us some time on tooling once you guys make the Nautilus....ummm....new-Nautilus design final."

Marketing guys say "We need a new name. Remember, we're not the Nautilus company."

More uncomfortable chuckles.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the background, there is a young intern from Belgium who's reading a comic book about a bear during his lunch break.

Subconsciously, the sales guys think..."that Cubitus character is such a loon.....wait a minute......man, am I hungry."

"How about Cubitus?"

Fast forward..............to now.

I stand corrected. The conversation was more like:

STERN: "Patek needs a new watch line. We need younger people, to create a new generation of Patek collectors!"

FINANCE/SALES/MARKETING/DESIGN/TECHNICAL PEOPLE (in unison): "What were you think boss?"

STERN: "Make something that looks like a Nautilus, but not a Nautilus. And call it something like Nautilus, but not Nautilus."

FINANCE/SALES/MARKETING/DESIGN/TECHNICAL PEOPLE (in unison): "Done boss!"

STERN: "Oh, and charge $40K base. We don't want the riff raff around Patek,, and we got to make the company look nice and rich for LV."

FINANCE/SALES/MARKETING/DESIGN/TECHNICAL PEOPLE (in unison): "But boss....I thought you said you wanted a younger crowd and new generation of collectors...and......."

STERN (cutting them off): "I SAID CHARGE $40K BASE."

FINANCE/SALES/MARKETING/DESIGN/TECHNICAL PEOPLE (in unison): "Done boss. Done."
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:56 AM   #423
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I stand corrected. The conversation was more like:

STERN: "Patek needs a new watch line. We need younger people, to create a new generation of Patek collectors!"

FINANCE/SALES/MARKETING/DESIGN/TECHNICAL PEOPLE (in unison): "What were you think boss?"

STERN: "Make something that looks like a Nautilus, but not a Nautilus. And call it something like Nautilus, but not Nautilus."

FINANCE/SALES/MARKETING/DESIGN/TECHNICAL PEOPLE (in unison): "Done boss!"

STERN: "Oh, and charge $40K base. We don't want the riff raff around Patek,, and we got to make the company look nice and rich for LV."

FINANCE/SALES/MARKETING/DESIGN/TECHNICAL PEOPLE (in unison): "But boss....I thought you said you wanted a younger crowd and new generation of collectors...and......."

STERN (cutting them off): "I SAID CHARGE $40K BASE."

FINANCE/SALES/MARKETING/DESIGN/TECHNICAL PEOPLE (in unison): "Done boss. Done."

LOL. Pretty funny stuff. We need some Swiss RF people to give us a version that reflects Swiss watchmaking business culture. One wonders how these meetings really do happen.
321Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:57 AM   #424
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:
What y’all think? Is cubitus worth the extra $10K?

the Cuntibus is definitely not worth more than the Nautilus in any form
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:59 AM   #425
Vasco
"TRF" Member

A few thoughts.

First, I'm not a fan of the Cubitus. I loved the Nautilus and my shaped tastes over the years are "troubled" by this change. However, there are a lot of examples showing that aesthetics is not absolute but relative and evolves over time (same with car lines, headlights/talelights, rim diameters or with 1990's large clothes vs 2010's slimmer ones or rounder 1990's office men shoes vs 2000's "pointed" ones later on, etc...). So who knows in the future what we'll all feel like. The Nautilus in 1976 was badly welcome and the Aquanaut wasn't successful in the early and mid 2010's.

They've just made a Square-shaped Nautilus. Like a Santos or other square models, they felt it's a trend to engage in. At least as a diversification. The size seems far too huge for me but I'll move on, there are other fishes in the sea.

I agree I was searching for the delight of being surprised by something excitingly new. It's not for me but it's not enough to be excessive :) If we don't like it, we should look somewhere else and not disgust others from liking it :( Nobody is forced to buy it.

The price in these luxury fields doesn't depend on what "seems" normal. They are already out of proportion since many years. By the way we should more consider the MSRP minus the "out of the shop" loss than the MSRP alone. The net loss is more interesting to assess. That usually makes Patek more "interesting", financially wise (and explains why so many are keen on Patek versus other similar level brands I won't name). A 80k watch with 10K loss or a 60K watch with a 15k loss?

Furthermore, I had a look at the 5822 Presskit. It's not a standard model. Here is what I found:

- Most of watches get a normal (long) date disk change (I don't remember the word, when it's not "instantaneous"). Brands don't care about instantaneous jumps. Not profitable on a marketing level, too bothersome to set to be worth it.

The 5822P is equipped with an instantaneous jump (like expensive Pateks or the 5200 Gondolo for the date iirc), this is not any kind of improvement: not only for one element but for both date disks, the day and the moonphase which is a technical rarity. This doesn't happen on below 100K Pateks.

That's the result of what they had in the 5208 and started implement in the 5236QP => Energy consumption savings. Adding elements, adds friction and brings bad consequences for wear and accuracy. They are the only ones to work that deep on this matter together with time keeping (tourbillon level with the 26-330). Even though it doesn't show-off. Juste like the spiromax V.2 included in the 5650G for the first time before being introduced in all the 26-330 (which replaces the 324).

They prefer a shorter power reserve with better accuracy on the whole curve and smaller spring barrels than the double with much lower performance in the last quarter and bigger barrels.

- Coplanar disks for the double date which allows thinner movement (thus case). Indeed the Lange big date for instance is thicker because both disks aren't on the same level. This is from the 5236P as well, together with its anti double jump system (more details here https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/ ).

And it seems that we can now correct the date elements at any time of the day (even inside the DeathZone during which the date switch is engaged).

These are practical elements, that improve the watch for an everyday life and that remain below radar.

The presskit says it adds only 0.77mm to the caliber. Room management is why Patek is different as well from other brands.

I understand the deception regarding aesthetics but let's not rush. Patek, technically hasn't become what they are by accident.

Just sharing the additional infos I found.

Edit: I've just seen the video after I wrote this. It looks very thin (though too large for my wrist) and rather very elegant? I understand why he said last year that he had an issue with the Pt diamond at 6 o'clock for a new watch they were working on.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:03 AM   #426
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
At 45mm it’s way too big.

Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:10 AM   #427
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Santos is your go-to. ~40mm or smaller as there are various sizes, and styles/metal combos. Plus the Santos is a true sports timepiece due to having 100m waterproof rating. A mere 30m wp rating in my life is just begging to fog up and then might be an expensive 'out of warranty' rebuild to remove trapped moisture.

Santos wins imho.

Attachment 1463161
I agree! 👍
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #428
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

yeah that's not it imo
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #429
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I think the Santos is the better watch. It has history, but it's also a revised look. Cartier has many different designs under its belt as well, so although the Tank, Santos and a few others might be "signature" watches, I don't think you can pin Cartier to any one watch collection or see any danger in them just being the Tank company.

Morever, the Santos has a brilliant bracelet design and quick change system. They are more WR. The price is more on the sane side as well, so if you are a young collector, it seems to make more sense.

Anyway, it's almost like a lost opportunity, although I don't think Patek is thinking that.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #430
bp1000
"TRF" Member

This was a chance to release an interchangeable watch line with Patek dna in steel with a date so guys could wear a Patek on leather, rubber and steel bracelet.

But they did this squared off nautilus.

Strange move.

I wanted to see more calatrava if they wanted more entry points. The hype guys don’t care about anything but owning a nautilus. They will go for this instead. The type of clients this might attract might not be brand loyal as they only want one thing.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:46 AM   #431
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, GS, JLC
Don't like this at all.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:53 AM   #432
Champagnepapi
"TRF" Member

Starting to notice more details… they seem to have made a brand new box for this line of clocks. It’s not the traditional wooden one anymore. And apparently it was Thierry’s dream to make a square watch.

Champagnepapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #433
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

A great name for the series would have been Nautilus²

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:10 AM   #434
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
https://swisswatches-magazine.com/in...us-collection/

Here is a full interview with TS on the new model. Apparently he always wanted to have square watch in the collection. They started 4 years ago.
Nautilus, Aquanaut and Cubits will account for 40% of the production.
I am quite surprised by this number.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #435
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
Thanks for the link ;)
I'm surprised too but I guess that the success of smart-casual lifestyle (less and less suits, ties...) gives more predominance for such modern watches (vs traditional references). Hence, maybe that keeping them on the lower side of the volume production isn't relevant anymore...
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:33 AM   #436
Econdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167A
I think the movement looks way too small for the size of the case (makes sense being 45mm), reminds me of the AP 15400, 15500, etc with the movement barely filling the case back.
Econdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:40 AM   #437
RJordan
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=

Here is a full interview with TS on the new model. Apparently he always wanted to have square watch in the collection. They started 4 years ago.
I am quite surprised by this number.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! There's some hope and dread when he says there are "siblings" and "cousins" already in the pipeline
RJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:52 AM   #438
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Starting to notice more details… they seem to have made a brand new box for this line of clocks. It’s not the traditional wooden one anymore. And apparently it was Thierry’s dream to make a square watch.

Surprisingly they didn’t create a square caliber to fulfill his dream
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #439
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
You merely look after it for the past generation.

Seems like Stern's homage to the 70s child in him.
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #440
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Surprisingly they didn’t create a square caliber to fulfill his dream
Dad Stern would have, i wholeheartedly believe that deep in my soul. My own opinion, just me, yet Dad Stern did create non-round movements for some very interesting timepieces.

Thankfully, this is all really just a blip. Plus with the current market direction, it gives us all pause, time for re-evaluation, and truly enjoy and appreciate the bubble we had. Looking forward to more market normality, dare i say market sanity?

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #441
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Begin your own tradition for the very low price of 40k. That watch should be nicknamed the Brooklyn Beckham, made for nepo babys without any noticeable talent in this world and way too much easy money in their pockets.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:00 AM   #442
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
I believe that 45 mm is the diagonal across the case. From 10 to 4. Anyone want to pull out the Pythagorean theorem to estimate the width and length? :)
Diagonal is likely across the dial, meaning the width / length is around 32mm. movement diameter is 27mm so it kinda makes sense. The case is likely gonna wear like a 40mm-42mm imo, I feel like Patek is trolling us in making us believe this Cubitus will wear like a Hublot with that 45mm measurement.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:40 AM   #443
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goupax View Post
Diagonal is likely across the dial, meaning the width / length is around 32mm. movement diameter is 27mm so it kinda makes sense. The case is likely gonna wear like a 40mm-42mm imo, I feel like Patek is trolling us in making us believe this Cubitus will wear like a Hublot with that 45mm measurement.

I suspect the website lists the diagonal measurement because saying “32mm” would make it seem like a women’s watch. I wonder what LTG measurement is (just for curiosity sake, personally I find the cubitus fugly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:16 PM   #444
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

The new box is the best part of this release
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:19 PM   #445
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
The new box is the best part of this release
I don't even like that compared to the gorgeous wood ones we get.. lmao
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:20 PM   #446
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I suspect the website lists the diagonal measurement because saying “32mm” would make it seem like a women’s watch. I wonder what LTG measurement is (just for curiosity sake, personally I find the cubitus fugly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lug to lug is 44.9 mm so perhaps it does wear smaller but still larger. So if you want to imagine size, just take a current nautilus and rotate it horizonal on your wrist.

It just feels redundant to a nautilus.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:21 PM   #447
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It took a long time for Thierry to decide hey take the Nautilus, exactly as it sits, bracelet clasp case, dial, everything, to the T, and just make it square
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:32 PM   #448
Fla Gert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
https://swisswatches-magazine.com/in...us-collection/

Why are you surprised? Everything else in their lineup is very difficult to sell for them. Even icons like the 5270 or 5236 are at 30-40% discount in the secondary market. Of course they will allocate more production to sports watches that are far easier to sell. Dont believe the TS BS. He is slowly turning Patek into a steel sports watch company. He has no other choice, its survival.
Fla Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #449
bob101
"TRF" Member

What a waste of a nice bracelet.. The movement appears lazy -round exhibition case back in a square case. Correct comment that the previous cube shaped watches would have had a special square movement to fit the case under the old man.
I liked the old ones such as Gondolo Pagoda trapeze, the top hats etc as they all had some style and substance. I would take a Cartier or a JLC Reverso over this or a vintage Patek for sure but I have no interest in keeping AD happy to get other pieces.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #450
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Gert View Post
Why are you surprised? Everything else in their lineup is very difficult to sell for them. Even icons like the 5270 or 5236 are at 30-40% discount in the secondary market. Of course they will allocate more production to sports watches that are far easier to sell. Dont believe the TS BS. He is slowly turning Patek into a steel sports watch company. He has no other choice, its survival.
I don't think that's the case. More likely he will sell precious metal sports watches.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote