The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #1
502 to Right
"TRF" Member

I'm considering this Rolex 14060 Submariner - Thoughts?

I'm looking for a tritium Rolex 14060 Submariner. This one has caught my eye. I can definitely find some cheaper, but this looks like a fine example and includes box and papers (not a must have--but definitely a nice to have).

A must have for any 14060 I buy is a clean tritium dial with matching hands. This appears to check that box. Obviously, the case has been refinished, but it looks pretty good to me.

Any thoughts on this? Is the refinished case a plus or minus? I can see it both ways. Personally I'm looking for a daily wear watch and not a museum piece so I don't mind a refinished case if done well. But I'd like some more expert opinions.

https://tropicalwatch.com/watches/s15z
502 to Right is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It's all personal taste. The watch is described accurately as far as I can tell. Buy it if you like it and you feel it's worth that much to you.
Old Today, 04:46 AM   #3
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Weren't you looking for a pepsi, OP? Anyway, the 14060 is great. Jacek knows how to refinish Rolex watches, what can I say. Nice piece.
Old Today, 05:22 AM   #4
502 to Right
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Weren't you looking for a pepsi, OP? Anyway, the 14060 is great. Jacek knows how to refinish Rolex watches, what can I say. Nice piece.
I was. But I just sold my 16610 Submariner (it was from 2001 so it had Super Luminova and solid end links) and am thinking of replacing it with something similar but more vintage-like. The GMT is still an option but I can get a better watch (condition) for less money going the 14060 route. And since the goal is getting more vintage without dipping into the 4 digit waters, this model is ideal.
Old Today, 05:36 AM   #5
502 to Right
"TRF" Member

Any comments on price? I know the market is soft right now. So I don't know if the price is average or high.

I don't mind paying a premium from a reliable seller though. Buy once, cry once. I see watches on reddit with two bad photos, an inaccurate description, and demanding Zelle or PP F&F and I want to vomit.
Old Today, 05:52 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502 to Right View Post
Any comments on price? I know the market is soft right now. So I don't know if the price is average or high.

I don't mind paying a premium from a reliable seller though. Buy once, cry once. I see watches on reddit with two bad photos, an inaccurate description, and demanding Zelle or PP F&F and I want to vomit.
Prices from high-end dealers always carry a large premium, so that's what you will pay. Not something I would do, but based on your previous threads, I think that it might be necessary to reduce your anxiety about buying. The seller is well-known, and I'm sure he will live up to whatever he promises. If you want to sell or trade the watch in the near future, you will probably take a hit. Since your name isn't Jacek, nobody will pay you anything like that amount for the watch.

Since you are paying a high premium, you should probably confirm your expectations with respect to whether the watch has been serviced, return policy (e.g. is it returnable after opening the watch to inspect the movement), length of warranty (if any), etc.
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #7
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
The seller comes with a good reputation but I find it interesting you have looked at two different watches and used Reddit and then compared Reddit with a known reseller which for me are like chalk and cheese.
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #8
502 to Right
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
The seller comes with a good reputation but I find it interesting you have looked at two different watches and used Reddit and then compared Reddit with a known reseller which for me are like chalk and cheese.
I never considering buying the Reddit listed GMT. I posted the thread because I was confused about the description and thought it was wrong. So I posted it here to see whether I was correct or not. I was correct, which in some small way was reassuring.