The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 September 2024, 08:53 AM   #1
Shams99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub ND , SD43
Gray Market dealers

Hey, thanks in advance. I am looking to buy an aquanaut. I have no chance of getting one from an AD ( on one in the Toronto area). My question is any reliable dealers that are better than others. I do not know any dealers as my Rolex purchases have been thought an AD. I like the 5164a-001 is my first choice ( I know it discontinued) but would open to 5167 as well in both ss or pm. I would also be willing to fly to pick up the watch.

thanks
sham
Shams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 09:59 AM   #2
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
I have had nothing but good experiences with European Watch Co in Boston, MA, Burdeens in Chicago, and DavidSW in Florida.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 10:00 AM   #3
Econdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167A
Hit up DistinctiveTime in Toronto, I'm sure they'll be able to source either
Econdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 11:26 AM   #4
rregino22
"TRF" Member

European Watch In Boston is first class .
rregino22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 09:57 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
DavidSW is my go to. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 11:34 PM   #6
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
The 1916 company, formerly watchboxx is excellent and all the watches have a 2 yr warranty added. I have bought several watches with no issues

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 11:59 PM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Stating the obvious but it is key that you are able to assess the condition of the Aquanaut case unless you'll buy a very recent and visibly unworn example.

Many grey dealers get any and all scratches on their watches removed for the sale and yet market them as in "Like new condition" across the board. For example, try to find a Patek on the European Watch Company site that isn't marketed as in "Like new condition"... In reality, a 5, 10, or 15 year old Aquanaut will not be in "Like new condition" unless it is completely unworn and possibly still sealed.

Long story short, unless buying a brand new unworn watch I'd always want to inspect it in person.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 01:12 AM   #8
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Stating the obvious but it is key that you are able to assess the condition of the Aquanaut case unless you'll buy a very recent and visibly unworn example.

Many grey dealers get any and all scratches on their watches removed for the sale and yet market them as in "Like new condition"

Long story short, unless buying a brand new unworn watch I'd always want to inspect it in person.
Excellent advice. Nautilus and Aquanaut are both scratch magnets and worn examples are most likely to have been polished potentially losing some case and lug definition.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 03:53 AM   #9
aa_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Many grey dealers get any and all scratches on their watches removed for the sale and yet market them as in "Like new condition" across the board. For example, try to find a Patek on the European Watch Company site that isn't marketed as in "Like new condition"... In reality, a 5, 10, or 15 year old Aquanaut will not be in "Like new condition" unless it is completely unworn and possibly still sealed.

A watch can be 10 years old and worn a couple of times.
I'd just recommend to compare pictures of unpolished watch and buy from reputable seller.

Buying an "unworn" or "sealed" means an important premium not worth it IMO, if you plan to wear the watch.
aa_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 05:07 AM   #10
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
DavidSW is my go to. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.
x2, David's pricing is always a touch higher, or purchase offers a touch lower, but I can't think of a more trustworthy, reliable, smooth dealer that makes that pricing worth it for the peace of mind

Quote:

This is also a great and astute assessment. Buying grey for a long time now, and have indeed found this to be true...many dealers make no mention of polished or unpolished, and even then may not be accurate as these pieces trade hands quite often...
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 05:37 AM   #11
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'd take claims of unpolished with a grain of salt unless you can ascertain yourself/with provenance. Almost every regular dealer I know touch up watches for resale. To most it doesn't matter/owner can't tell but for some collectors it's a sticking point. Rightfully so if you're particular about the case.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 09:32 AM   #12
Shams99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub ND , SD43
thanks for all the replies I will research each of them.

Regards
Sham
Shams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 02:15 PM   #13
7sins
"TRF" Member

Eddie at Modern Swiss is who I exclusively use, highly recommend.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Off Shore Gulf Blue 26238 || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 12:07 AM   #14
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Eddie is also fantastic
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 07:49 AM   #15
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
My name is David, and I am with European Watch Company; please let me know if you need anything!!
David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 10:04 PM   #16
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cote View Post
My name is David, and I am with European Watch Company; please let me know if you need anything!!
Do you polish your watches for sale? i think that is the main concern here, one assumes your firm with it’s good reputation, guarantees that you have undertaken legitimate source confirmation.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 11:29 PM   #17
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Do you polish your watches for sale? i think that is the main concern here, one assumes your firm with it’s good reputation, guarantees that you have undertaken legitimate source confirmation.

I’m sure that any dealer would polish as needed.

If they take a watch that doesn’t need polish, they wouldn’t polish it, and vice versa.

Otherwise, they would only buy a very limited amount of watches per month that are prestige and don’t need a polish.

If I’m buying from any dealer, I would ask if that watch was polished and then decide if I want to proceed with the deal based on the answer.
Old 13 September 2024, 01:14 AM   #18
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
SHK watch is very good at sourcing hard to find pieces. I've bought from them before and would certainly recommend.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 03:27 AM   #19
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
he's perfect! been dealing with him for years
Old 13 September 2024, 06:26 AM   #20
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shams99 View Post
Hey, thanks in advance. I am looking to buy an aquanaut. I have no chance of getting one from an AD ( on one in the Toronto area). My question is any reliable dealers that are better than others. I do not know any dealers as my Rolex purchases have been thought an AD. I like the 5164a-001 is my first choice ( I know it discontinued) but would open to 5167 as well in both ss or pm. I would also be willing to fly to pick up the watch.

thanks
sham
Sending you a DM for a dealer
Steele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 10:49 AM   #21
dysert
2024 Pledge Member

Takuya is excellent
dysert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 06:30 PM   #22
aa_watch
"TRF" Member

It needs to be assumed a watch might have been polished when you buy pre-owned, probably even more when a case is in gold (soft metal).
I don't see any issue if a watch has been professionally polished and remain in original shape.
aa_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 12:31 PM   #23
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Use Moda via a trusted seller (there are several on there with online and physical storefronts as well). No need to pay higher (sometimes significantly higher) for EWC or DavidSW for watches
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 12:37 AM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
European Watch is great, but of course, they need to have what you want in stock at the moment you want it.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 03:14 AM   #25
manoop1856
"TRF" Member

Nothing but great experiences with EWC and David specifically! Buy w confidence
manoop1856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 11:15 AM   #26
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econdon View Post
Hit up DistinctiveTime in Toronto, I'm sure they'll be able to source either
This is the real answer. Dave is top notch and fair in pricing.

Being in Canada we have limited options - all these other US sources people are mentioning here would mean an additional 18% in taxes on top unless you do something illegal...
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote