The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 July 2024, 01:51 AM   #31
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic View Post
Obviously it depends on how you define it.
Rolex(R) is a registered trademark of the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation. This legal entity also owns several trademarks and interests, one of which is a company that mass-produces so-called Rolex watches.

The foundation is independent and operates on the basis of legislation and its own rules.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 02:41 AM   #32
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

It’s not an independent in the sense of small-scale production with a focus on hand-finishing of cases and movements. Rolex builds robust well-designed watches, but they are no FPJ, De Bethune, Greubel Forsey, MB&F, Laurent Ferrier, or even Moser or Chopard LUC. And they’re certainly no Rexhep Rexhepi, Voutilainen or Simon Brette. It’s an entirely different ballgame.
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 04:30 AM   #33
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
When I think of the Hans Wildorf Foundation, I think of the mob. Pay little to no taxes. Wants to own everything. And gets away with everything.

And all wears Rolexs ha
eugenetsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 04:59 AM   #34
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Do you consider Rolex an independent or a conglomerate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
It’s not an independent in the sense of small-scale production with a focus on hand-finishing of cases and movements. Rolex builds robust well-designed watches, but they are no FPJ, De Bethune, Greubel Forsey, MB&F, Laurent Ferrier, or even Moser or Chopard LUC. And they’re certainly no Rexhep Rexhepi, Voutilainen or Simon Brette. It’s an entirely different ballgame.

Only heard of one that you mentioned. Give me a nice mass produced Rolex over fancy haute horology brand every time.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 05:13 AM   #35
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Neither. They are a manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 05:48 AM   #36
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Only heard of one that you mentioned. Give me a nice mass produced Rolex over fancy haute horology brand every time.

Kat

Kat, may I suggest you head over to the “Watches (non-Rolex) Forum” sub-forum here on TRF…. All those brands mentioned are pretty well-known independents. Lots to learn about and admire (IMHO). The true independent HH brands are even more bespoke.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 06:10 AM   #37
daysky1
"TRF" Member

an independent
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 11:12 AM   #38
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Kat, may I suggest you head over to the “Watches (non-Rolex) Forum” sub-forum here on TRF…. All those brands mentioned are pretty well-known independents. Lots to learn about and admire (IMHO). The true independent HH brands are even more bespoke.

I prefer watches I can afford, so am passionate about a lot of small brands that most on here have never heard of. I have a Baltic Tricompax and a Wise Traveler GMT enroute. I even own the very first serial number of one such brand, Techne. I like to find small startup brands that produce high quality affordable mechanical watches. I love nice watches, and own quite a few. Why would I want to learn about something I can only covet, but never have? I’ll continue to admire such brands from afar, when seen on a celebrity wrist. You’d be amazed at some of the affordable micro brands out there, producing high quality original designs, that almost any watch lover can own. That’s why I go to watch fairs, when I have the opportunity. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote