The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which is a better daily watch?
Patek Philippe Nautilus 98 65.33%
Vacheron Constantin Overseas 52 34.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 January 2024, 06:52 PM   #1
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
Which would be a daily watch? Nautilus vs Overseas

Dear TRF,

Let's suppose PP will eventually release a stainless steel 3-hander 5811, 5811/1A, that is...and pit it against Vacheron Constantin Overseas 3-hander (latest reference is 4520V). By the way, I'm not a fan of Royal Oak so I left this out of the question.

Which one would you wear as an everyday watch? Do you prefer a 3-hander stainless-steel Nautilus or Overseas??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current collection: 1) Rolex Submariner(116610LV), 2) Rolex GMT-Master II(126710BLNR), 3) Breitling B01 Navitimer 43(AB0138211B1A1)
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 06:59 PM   #2
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Nautilus everyday and twice on Sunday!

Obviously that is purely a matter of personal taste but the thin Nautilus design signs to me way more than the 2.5 mm thicker Overseas design, and the same goes for hte 'interrupted' bezel.

The only - but quite important - thing that really speaks for the Overseas is that it is way more under the radar than the Nautilus that everybody recognizes...
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 07:48 PM   #3
INC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Nautilus
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 10:11 PM   #4
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
PP for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 10:49 PM   #5
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

5811 all day everyday
StylinProfilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 11:41 PM   #6
agsstructures

Nautilus
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 12:21 AM   #7
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Clearly, the PP is the better piece to own for a multitude of reasons. But the VC as a daily with its three strap options is hard to beat.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 12:36 AM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUguy View Post
Nautilus everyday and twice on Sunday!

Obviously that is purely a matter of personal taste but the thin Nautilus design signs to me way more than the 2.5 mm thicker Overseas design, and the same goes for hte 'interrupted' bezel.

The only - but quite important - thing that really speaks for the Overseas is that it is way more under the radar than the Nautilus that everybody recognizes...
That about covers it
Old 20 January 2024, 12:54 AM   #9
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

The question is which one is better as DAILY.

IMHO, the Overseas is the better choice.
But that doesn't mean I prefer the Overseas to the Nautilus.
More robust. Less prone to scratches. And the 3 straps give it more versatility.

But I would also add that you need to go for a 3 hander, the Overseas can get too thick...
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 02:44 AM   #10
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Not accounting for price, the Nautilus. It's far more elegant and comfortable than the Overseas, and a much more timeless design.

The Overseas, as a category, doesn't age well, in part because they are overdesigned (e.g., look at the first generation), and the Gen II is the best to my eyes, yet the Gen II misses a nice in-house movement with a sapphire caseback.

Accounting for price, I think the Overseas Gen II is a decent deal, all things considered. And I'd never pay at or near 6-figures for a stainless steel Nautilus.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 03:50 AM   #11
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Not accounting for price, the Nautilus. It's far more elegant and comfortable than the Overseas, and a much more timeless design.

The Overseas, as a category, doesn't age well, in part because they are overdesigned (e.g., look at the first generation), and the Gen II is the best to my eyes, yet the Gen II misses a nice in-house movement with a sapphire caseback.
This pretty much sums it up.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 04:37 AM   #12
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Nautilus without a doubt in my mind. It's not even close for me. There is just something not right about the proportions of the OS. It doesn't sit well on the wrist. It definitely has great versatility with the strap/bracelet options, but the bracelet is underwhelming to me. For those reasons, I sold my 7900 a couple of years ago and never really looked back.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 04:49 AM   #13
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

As with majority of comments above, Nautilus is a definitely a strong winner here. It's more beautiful overall, incredibly comfortable to wear and enjoy, classic and timeless design, and just feels perfect on the wrist.

I think the only notable advantage that Overseas has is the interchangeable bracelet / leather / rubber strap option. But Nautilus bracelet is so comfortable and beautiful that I don't care for leather or rubber straps.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 06:06 AM   #14
llngoc
"TRF" Member

You posted in a Patek forum and asked if someone prefer a Patek over a VC

IMHO, the Overseas is more versatile as you can go from bracelet to rubber to leather so you can even wear it as three watches within a day. The Nautilius is more refined and comfortable. And if you have a slimmer wrist, 5711/5811 will likely be a better choice.

I have both the 5711/1a and the 4500V, the VC gets more wear because it is less conspicuous and I do enjoy it with the rubber strap. (Wife took the 5167a)
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 06:56 AM   #15
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post

Accounting for price, I think the Overseas Gen II is a decent deal, all things considered. And I'd never pay at or near 6-figures for a stainless steel Nautilus.
What's the problem with the first gen?
It's still the thinnest one so automatically the most similar to nautilus and royal oak..the newer ones are thicker and less elegant
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 12:08 PM   #16
ATO
"TRF" Member

I voted for the overseas as they provide the quick change with 3 different looks.
ATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 04:14 PM   #17
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweinwerfer View Post
What's the problem with the first gen?
It's still the thinnest one so automatically the most similar to nautilus and royal oak..the newer ones are thicker and less elegant
There's no problem, per se, but I think it's styling has not aged well at all. Aesthetics are mostly subjective, of course.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:26 AM   #18
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
How does the VC Overseas Perpetual wear compared to the Patek 5740?
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:33 AM   #19
Bmats

If I had both, I’d use a SS overseas more as a daily—either silver or blue dial. Easy strap changes, high build quality, and a bit more under the radar.

If I could only have one, I would have the 5712/1a.

EDIT: Didn’t realize I was replying to an old thread that someone revived.

Last edited by Bmats; Today at 03:35 AM.. Reason: context
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:09 PM   #20
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Vacheron all day.

Im not saying the OS is superior or anything. The Nautilus is THE Nautilus, I happen to own both.

The Patek is the one for the collection, it feels more special, it is more special, it is the one that will always be in demand and hold its value.

The VC OS is the ultimate daily luxury sport watch today in 2024. There is no alternative if you really look into it. It is the only trinity sport watch that is water resistant, versatile with strap changes, anti-magnetic, and a unique blue dial. ALSO it does not trade at a crazy premium, allowing you to enjoy it more light heartedly, instead of say a Nautilus where ur constantly worried about being mugged etc and heaven forbid if you are, impossible to replace the nautilus again, at least at MSRP, whereas the OS is replaceable with a small effort.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote