The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old Today, 07:20 AM   #1
Jamwill79
"TRF" Member

Consolidation. Opinions/help/advice required please.

Evening all,

I'm still trying to get my consolidation plans underway as there are just way too many pieces I'm not wearing. Nearly all of them modern. I'll be trying to concentrate on quality, mostly tool watches.

Anyway, I'm considering purchasing a '64' gilt 5513 but am struggling to work out if I'd enjoy it much more than a matte 5513. From a cost perspective, a matte dial would leave a chunk of budget on the table to go towards another piece. But would the beauty and rarity of a gilt sub outweigh these cost thoughts?

I'm also seriously considering moving on my '666' matte in order to get a 1665, as even the sapphire on the '666' is no longer as appealing as the look of a plexi.....

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated as I'm sure quite a few of you must have been here at some point!

Thanks

https://www.instagram.com/dodimead_h...NyYmluZmtmdA==
Jamwill79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:34 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamwill79 View Post
EI'm considering purchasing a '64' gilt 5513 but am struggling to work out if I'd enjoy it much more than a matte 5513.
I'm sure you will get some opinions, but TBH, balancing differential enjoyment vs budget is a question only you can answer. I'd suggest trying to handle both matte and gilt-gloss 5513s in-person. Without that, you are just guessing.

Perhaps you can join a watch meet-up group, or visit a dealer. Alternatively, buy good examples of both, wear them for a while, and make an informed decision about which one to sell. That's generally my approach ... except for the selling part.
Old Today, 07:56 AM   #3
Jamwill79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm sure you will get some opinions, but TBH, balancing differential enjoyment vs budget is a question only you can answer. I'd suggest trying to handle both matte and gilt-gloss 5513s in-person. Without that, you are just guessing.

Perhaps you can join a watch meet-up group, or visit a dealer. Alternatively, buy good examples of both, wear them for a while, and make an informed decision about which one to sell. That's generally my approach ... except for the selling part.
Thanks Dan and I appreciate my dilemma is not any easy thing to give advice on.

Buying both and then moving one on is not an option right now. I've looked at both, so have a memory of the initial impact of viewing them. But I think it's only living with something that reveals one's true level of appreciation.

Anyone here gone from a matte 5513/5512 to a gilt example by any chance????

Old Today, 12:24 PM   #4
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Sub
I agree with Dan, the size of your budget, and how you allocate it, is your decision alone. What I can tell you is that in my opinion if you can afford a nice gilt 5513, buy it. They are special. I've had mine for years, and it is far from perfect, but when the light catches the gilt, or the hands reflect in the gloss dial, I still find myself mesmerized by it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (121.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (279.0 KB, 24 views)
seattleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:00 PM   #5
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
A gilt preferably, or if matte, a 66-69 meters first 5513 is a cut-above imho. 5512 can be snaffled too for not a huge amount more.

If buying gilt, try and get one that is super glossy and and where the gilt really still shiny (like above)... makes all the difference to one that is dulling all over imho. I like mine on orig small (slightly hexagonal) crown too rather than chunky square service crown if poss, just looks nicely period.

As for the Sea Dweller I'm 100% with you on that. The 666 is a nice piece but doesn't feel vintagey too me as quite chunky, heavy, sitting high on wrist watch imo.

I never wore my matte at all, so sold it (the mattes fetch nearly GW money as you probably know).

I love wearing (albeit still tallish, but lower c.o.g.and with warm dome plexi) DRSD and tbh the GW too - although i find it dwarfs a 9315/385 so fitted 93150/585 to all mine......
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:51 PM   #6
Jamwill79
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much. Exactly the sort of responses I was looking for.

Regarding the gilt 5513 I'm interested in, it's all original by the looks of it. Really nice case, crimped crown, original bracelet, correct bezel and faded long 5 insert. The dial is super glossy and the writing really pops. Gold hands are nice too. The only slight negative, which doesn't really offend me, is that a couple of lume plots have slight dimples/missing material.

Ok, thanks very much again guys. Off to do yet more thinking!

Old Today, 06:14 PM   #7
Pete17
2024 Pledge Member

That gilt 5513 sounds like a very nice one. Get the watch that makes you smile every time you look at it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Today, 08:02 PM   #8
linesiders
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17 View Post
That gilt 5513 sounds like a very nice one. Get the watch that makes you smile every time you look at it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^ This