The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2024, 11:12 AM   #1
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Does it cost a lot more to delay servicing of Patek complications?

I sent in a 5960 for servicing, later than recommended as in over 10 years from manufacture. The invoice was for slightly more than the normal servicing, as it was an "advanced" overhaul complete servicing. The additional charge of about 25% more was to replace pushers and connectors. There was no damage or shock to the watch, but lubricants had dried up and caused wear on some components which had to be replaced. They explained that lubricants dry up whether or not you use the watch every day or week, and they argue this is why you still need to stick to the recommended service intervals. They also have to replace items needed to maintain water resistance.

Many here especially those with larger collections send watches in for servicing only when they no longer keep time accurately. But does this work for complications and grand complications, where the reasoning per the above is you want them to be serviced before lubricants completely dry out and cause the need to replace other components? In the above example, you did save money because replacing certain parts worn out after the lubrication dried up is part of the normal servicing anyway.

Also, I joked with my local service center that I might take a Nautilus swimming in the ocean. The staff reflexively frowned and told me a Nautilus is not a Rolex, and I just had to laugh.
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 11:21 AM   #2
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Great question, would love to know the answer.
I have taken nautilus swimming in ocean. No issues. That’s what I got it for…better to swim with that than a grand complication
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 01:15 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrançoisCzapek View Post
Also, I joked with my local service center that I might take a Nautilus swimming in the ocean. The staff reflexively frowned and told me a Nautilus is not a Rolex, and I just had to laugh.
Which PSC is this? I'm surprised the staff told you you can't bring your Nautilus to a swim and more surprised they compare your Nautilus to a Rolex.

I own several Nautilus and never had PSC staff telling me I can't swim with my Nautilus and/or Rolex is better. I have never heard them talking about other brands either.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 01:23 PM   #4
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
If you have a lot of watches and they’re sitting there collecting dust, even if the lubricants dry up there is no mechanical wear on those parts.

I’d just service it when I want to use it again in rotation.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 02:29 PM   #5
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Which PSC is this? I'm surprised the staff told you you can't bring your Nautilus to a swim and more surprised they compare your Nautilus to a Rolex.

I own several Nautilus and never had PSC staff telling me I can't swim with my Nautilus and/or Rolex is better. I have never heard them talking about other brands either.
It's a very reputable PSC and it was a joke. Also discussing the context of things like wakeboarding where falling into the water is different from swimming.
Old 7 August 2024, 02:30 PM   #6
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
If you have a lot of watches and they’re sitting there collecting dust, even if the lubricants dry up there is no mechanical wear on those parts.

I’d just service it when I want to use it again in rotation.
Seems about right but I was wondering if you should avoid suddenly using them again without servicing, even intermittently, if they are long past the point where the lubricants have probably dried up.
Old 7 August 2024, 11:24 PM   #7
Vasco
"TRF" Member

It's a question I asked myself as well. I haven't had the chance to experience the result with a Patek (wasn't a daily wear and had the 3-year Salon servicing early on). However, I did with a Speedmaster Mark IV in 2010 after a 30-year period without servicing and everything was included (including the rotor, pushers...).
I decided to take the risk to delay until timekeeping deteriorates. If I don't wear it enough, I believe it won't age that much even with dried oils. I guess its accuracy will be a problem before reaching that moment.

However, regarding gaskets (for swimming), I would make them checked at my AD each year (after let's say the 3rd year following an overhaul). It's quick, free of charge and you get the answer you need right away.

Just my own feeling, a guess, but I doubt a QP would be severly damaged by dried oils. However, I would think a regularly running horizontal clutch chronograph might encounter more wear and tear.

Of course if you use your Minute-repeater every 20 minutes, it might require a bath of oil on a daily basis
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 03:11 AM   #8
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Good question. I wear my watches when I feel the urge for a change and so they keep being used but once a week or so. I don’t plan on servicing them every 5 years but perhaps 7+ years. If they are kept moving fortnightly the oils will still get a work out but the mechanism won’t get worn down - at least that’s my thinkimg.

Perhaps Patek is banking on it’s 65,000 watches returning for service every 5 years for reasons of profit not for mechanical necessity?
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 03:47 AM   #9
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I would not service anything unless it's not working.

I have some watches that are on 15 - 20 years+ without a service and run fine, including some with complications. Cartier, Panerai, etc.

Yeah you might put more wear on the watch...but you could also go 5 - 10+ years more without a service. So IMO the risk is worth it.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:30 AM   #10
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrançoisCzapek View Post
Seems about right but I was wondering if you should avoid suddenly using them again without servicing, even intermittently, if they are long past the point where the lubricants have probably dried up.
I’d wind it up to see if it’s working.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 08:05 AM   #11
arolexguy
"TRF" Member

Do you gentlemen allow Patek to refinish the case when you have it finished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote