The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 June 2024, 01:38 AM   #61
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
That is not true at all. Many true collectors do not buy into buying something else to get what they want, myself included. I am not saying I am going away but I am certainly not going to buy a Code I do not want in order to get another reference I do. It is in fact turning a lot of people off and I do believe eventually they will have to make an adjustment here.
You say this all so matter of fact. My first allocation was my wife's blue dial 37mm RO that is a 50th Anniversary edition. My boutique has repeatedly told me not to buy anything I do not really want to keep and wear for many years.

They have showed me a couple codes (which I do actually like) but never once have they said I should buy one in order to get an allocation of something else.

This line that you "have to buy a CODE to get a RO" is just not accurate across the board and I guarantee is not a AP company policy.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 01:51 AM   #62
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
You say this all so matter of fact. My first allocation was my wife's blue dial 37mm RO that is a 50th Anniversary edition. My boutique has repeatedly told me not to buy anything I do not really want to keep and wear for many years.

They have showed me a couple codes (which I do actually like) but never once have they said I should buy one in order to get an allocation of something else.

This line that you "have to buy a CODE to get a RO" is just not accurate across the board and I guarantee is not a AP company policy.

I'm kinda 50-50 on your comment. I was lucky to be allocated a few nice references, incl a 15500 during the craze.

They're never overly pushy but some hints (at least for me) have been dropped that a code would "nicely round out the collection" while we are discussing some complications/ ceramic pieces etc.

I don't disagree with the notion but make of it what you will. I'm sure if I picked up a PM Code or two the wheels would be a bit greasier...
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 05:10 AM   #63
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
They're never overly pushy but some hints (at least for me) have been dropped that a code would "nicely round out the collection" while we are discussing some complications/ ceramic pieces etc.
According to my SA, what AP is looking out are clients who appreciate their brand as a whole. Not just any particular line of their collection. I was told I needed an all rounder collection to be considered for any highly desired pieces. And guess what, the only timepiece on my list is a steel CODE (I'm probably one of the rare few who doesn't fancy the ROs and ROOs) which I'm still waiting to be allocated and I'm checking out my chances of getting a Starwheel for my next purchase. So I was told to consider getting a RO and ROO for my 2nd and 3rd piece before placing interest for the Starwheel.

I would believe many misinterpreted their statement as getting a CODE is the ticket to being allocated a RO as many owns a collection of ROs/ROOs in their profile but not a CODE to round it up. For someone like me, they are instead telling me being focused on owning multiple CODEs are also not what they look for as a preferred client. I need to look into ROs/ROOs as well.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 06:05 AM   #64
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Ap has never pushed a code on me. In fact when the first ones came out I made it clear I was not interested. Subsequently I was allocated a perpetual and a ceramic open worked. I may buy one of the latest versions but not because I think I need to but because I want to.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 10:37 AM   #65
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
My boutique has never pushed a CODE to me or even hinted at it. I offered to buy one at one point if it was going to bolster my profile. They told me not to buy anything I didn't love. I've received multiple incredibly hard to get pieces since. I don't believe it's a brand initiative at all. It probably varies by boutique.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 03:12 PM   #66
APman3000
"TRF" Member

It really just comes down to your boutique. Contrary to the experience of the posters above, I was in no uncertain terms told to buy a Code to get what I wanted. Purchased a ladies RO and then a ROO from the boutique. Asked for a blue dial RO or ROC next and SA told me not yet and that my next piece should be a Code to help work towards the blue dial. Purchased a Code and still no blue dial RO or ROC a year and a half later.

But my boutique sucks and is probably the worst one in the U.S. so this may in fact be the only boutique this happens at.
APman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 03:16 PM   #67
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APman3000 View Post
It really just comes down to your boutique. Contrary to the experience of the posters above, I was in no uncertain terms told to buy a Code to get what I wanted. Purchased a ladies RO and then a ROO from the boutique. Asked for a blue dial RO or ROC next and SA told me not yet and that my next piece should be a Code to help work towards the blue dial. Purchased a Code and still no blue dial RO or ROC a year and a half later.

But my boutique sucks and is probably the worst one in the U.S. so this may in fact be the only boutique this happens at.

Seems pretty common to me - they strung you along and you are no where near your blue dial RO - sorry man unfortunately that’s the journey and happened to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 03:21 PM   #68
APman3000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Seems pretty common to me - they strung you along and you are no where near your blue dial RO - sorry man unfortunately that’s the journey and happened to me

Sorry to hear it happened to you, too. I accepted it a while ago and just started focusing on other brands. I don't dislike any of the watches I purchased, including the Code, but it still sucks to know that I probably won't get the piece that I thought I was working towards. At least grey prices are coming down and I can just pick it up for not too high of a premium.
APman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM   #69
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear it happened to you, too. I accepted it a while ago and just started focusing on other brands. I don't dislike any of the watches I purchased, including the Code, but it still sucks to know that I probably won't get the piece that I thought I was working towards. At least grey prices are coming down and I can just pick it up for not too high of a premium.
all good I accepted the fact too that I don't have enough financial fire power to be someone at AP and moved on.

I did make a nice connection with an AD for Patek and so far it's been great, even though I am not the one buying the most watches at least I know what I can get and what I can't and I am not forced to buy useles stuff - most of the jewlery my wife buys she would have bought anyway.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM   #70
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:

Yep it happens. Despite what some like to claim. Happened to me at the Las Vegas boutique.

Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:25 AM   #71
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:

I think this is way more common than others want to admit. It has happened to me and a few of my closest friends. I am guessing if one was already an AP buyer before the Code, you have more leverage to never add one. If you are new to the brand, they will demand you build a 'well rounded collection'. I think all brands are doing this though, so can't really hate on AP for doing so.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM   #72
Shmoopy
"TRF" Member

I was never told directly to buy a Code. But, after my first boutique purchase (ROOC Ti 42mm) I was told that the second watch I wanted (green dial RO 3 hand) would not happen "without a couple more references in my profile." My SA knew how to phrase things lol. I wasn't upset with her reply, she was just telling me how it is.

A few months later, I informed her I was going to sell my ROO, as I just could not get a good fit on it, I am not really into chronos, and I just didn't bond with the watch. I sort of flippantly mentioned that if I am blacklisted for selling a watch at a loss that I did not really bond with that it is no big deal for me. She was adamant that one should be happy with all purchases, let alone his first AP, and there is no blacklisting going on.

I like my SA. She's always been super transparent, which is a big thing for me, but I do not anticipate dealing with AP direct anymore based on the fact that the three APs I want will likely never be offered to me directly with my well-rounded AP collection of 0 watches lol. (Starwheel, RO green dial, and a MR)

I recently almost pulled the trigger on a Starwheel, until the seller tried to do a "safe" sale at the last second. I mentioned the potential transaction to my SA, and she did mention that it definitely looks favorable to buy pieces from grays, stating that while it's not boutique spend, it shows a commitment to the brand.
Shmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM   #73
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoopy View Post
I recently almost pulled the trigger on a Starwheel, until the seller tried to do a "safe" sale at the last second. I mentioned the potential transaction to my SA, and she did mention that it definitely looks favorable to buy pieces from grays, stating that while it's not boutique spend, it shows a commitment to the brand.

The way prices are coming down on the aftermarket (and going up rapidly at MSRP) buying AP on the secondary from now on seems more satisfying for me. I saw a Starwheel at a reasonable price lately - just slightly above MSRP and tax. And the great thing buying grey is that if you ever wanted to sell there is no pressure to keep it from AP.

Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM   #74
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
The way prices are coming down on the aftermarket (and going up rapidly at MSRP) buying AP on the secondary from now on seems more satisfying for me. I saw a Starwheel at a reasonable price lately - just slightly above MSRP and tax. And the great thing buying grey is that if you ever wanted to sell there is no pressure to keep it from AP.

This is the same thing many people said just prior to the big jump in popularity and grey prices. Then, they bitched and complained about not getting an allocation.

Everything runs in cycles....you just shouldn't piss and moan if you can't get the hottest watches direct from the brand when you didn't support them when things were down.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM   #75
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is the same thing many people said just prior to the big jump in popularity and grey prices. Then, they bitched and complained about not getting an allocation.

Everything runs in cycles....you just shouldn't piss and moan if you can't get the hottest watches direct from the brand when you didn't support them when things were down.

Agree in general. Not sure if you were speaking in generalities or about me.
I’ve been buying AP for a while. Bought a 15400 shortly after the 15300 was dc’d. Long before the hype. I remember boutiques full of watches on the wall for sale.
I’m just not interested in buying new from AP currently. I don’t care for the current management / leadership / customer service and some of the sales tactics which have previously been discussed and do not need to be rehashed.

Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #76
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly my experience so far.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #77
Mac-Apple
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
I understand your frustration. The demand for AP watches, especially the Royal Oak, can make the process feel like an uphill battle. It's disappointing to feel ignored or undervalued as a customer, especially after investing in the brand. Many have shared similar experiences with AP's sales tactics, which can indeed be off-putting.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #78
IGY
"TRF" Member

I read the story here and it sounds like there is more to the story than you are volunteering.

Is it correct that you live in Florida? And you asked one of the London AP boutiques for a Royal Oak?

If so, I am not surprised that you were given hospitality but no watch. Even though the watch market has cooled considerably from the lockdown revenge spending bubble, most Audemars Piguet watches remain in high demand at current retail prices relative to production and availability.

There are three AP boutiques in London (Sloane Street, Harrods and Bond Street) and I have personal experience at the AP House in Bond Street. During one of my visits the sales person explained that all of their watch allocation was given to UK residents. (Not necessarily UK citizens, but people residing in the UK). I am not making any observation about whether this is fair / just, a good approach or anything. Just that is what I was told.

(From my personal opinion I thought "good" as I get pretty annoyed thinking about some UAE / Saudi prince playboy on his summer holidays and daddy's oil money hovering up all the watches allocated to the UK. No offense to the middle eastern playboys but you have AP Houses in your own countries, so please share! I'd be given good hospitality, but be turned away for more than window shopping for the hottest watches in your country).

I agree that it is frustrating for you (or anybody) that purchasing from 100% manufacturer owned AP Houses in one country like Switzerland might not be recognised as part of a sales relationship in your own country when trying to get a watch. That seems very self defeating for the brand.

Also I am curious, which Royal Oak variant are you wanting to buy at retail following the code? While all are popular, there is still a big difference in demand and availability. You didn't say, unless I missed it.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote