The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 August 2024, 05:50 PM   #61
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Blancpain...why no love?

Blancpain fan here. Admiration started in 2019 when during Watches and Wonders the Barrakuda and Air Command were released.

Added these two gems to my collection.
Blancpain is a niche player like JLC and Breguet. Rich history, but their marketing machine is failing to get connected to the superficial watch crowd, who recognize just the big three (Rolex, AP, PP) as high tier luxury brands.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 12:00 AM   #62
Afterglow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
The original question of "Why no Love for Blancpain" is fairly simple to answer ...

Blancpain is one of the few brands that people go to after they have either got "Fed Up" with Rolex or just want to have a watch of far superior quality to Rolex.

Blancpain is a brand that does not do the same type of overpowering marketing as Rolex.

Just handling a Blancpain is enough to sway most people ... The case, Movement and finish of all the parts in a Blancpain watch just put Rolex's mass production quality to shame.

You should never take a loupe to a Rolex as you will see many blemishes, whereas on a Blancpain if you take a loop to any model you will just smile and be pleasantly shocked.

I used to be a die-hard Rolex fanatic, I had more Rolex watches than I am willing (Or want to) own up to.

I am now down to just one (And Exp II Polar old model) and my watches have been replaced by fewer, but, better made, Blancpain watches.

There is Love for Blancpain watches, But being a smaller, more subtle, less flashy brand the owners are just more discrete about ownership and they know what's on their wrist and are polite enough not to tell Rolex owners what their mistake has been in purchasing such a watch.
Great post. I agree with every word. I have had several Rolex subs, now I daily wear a Fifty Fathoms. The FF is superior in a multitude of ways except, as noted, marketing.

The few watch fan conversations I have had wearing the FF usually begin with someone saying "I know what you have there". And these guys are usually watch savvy themselves, sporting a GO, AP or Lange. The Rolex guys are more usually flashing their sub at the blackjack table as if they're wearing a 100k Patek. Completely over the Rolex BS but I still enjoy this forum.
Old 4 August 2024, 05:06 AM   #63
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Blancpain...why no love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow View Post
Great post. I agree with every word. I have had several Rolex subs, now I daily wear a Fifty Fathoms. The FF is superior in a multitude of ways except, as noted, marketing.

The few watch fan conversations I have had wearing the FF usually begin with someone saying "I know what you have there". And these guys are usually watch savvy themselves, sporting a GO, AP or Lange. The Rolex guys are more usually flashing their sub at the blackjack table as if they're wearing a 100k Patek. Completely over the Rolex BS but I still enjoy this forum.
Yes, post #60 and yours are spot on.
Blancpain watches are high quality timepieces with a wide range of different movement complications. Rolex, on the other hand, builds movement tractors.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 10:06 PM   #64
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
It's a dial to love ....

I finally got a 1/2 decent picture of my dial and bezel.

This is my Ti FF 42mm Blue Dial and Bezel.

The Blue is subtle I think.

https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1722773100
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7732.jpeg (276.0 KB, 410 views)
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 02:29 AM   #65
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Those who know, know.

NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 04:43 AM   #66
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Blancpain...why no love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOG DIVER View Post
Hardly anyone mentioned the superlative 1315 3-barrel movement. A couple of us have delved deeper into this caliber.
Interesting, you looked deeper into the 1315 performance? You mentioned the 1315 also here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=5011
What did you investigate? Some quantitative results?
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 06:38 AM   #67
phranxinatra
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi, Sub41 date
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOG DIVER View Post
BP Preceded Rolex in 1953
to the dive watch market.
Untrue

https://perezcope.com/2023/09/09/deb...fifty-fathoms/
phranxinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 05:45 PM   #68
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Don't believe everything you read !

Which watch manufacturer was first with the Dive watch concept is not really important IMHO.

What is, and is the only thing that is, important is the quality of the watch.

Whilst Rolex and Blancpain both make good watches that's as far as I can praise Rolex.

Blancpain is far more innovative with the 1315 movement as its beating heart.

The Standard Fifty Fathoms has a superlative movement .. The 1315 with it's 3 barrels is a watch that lasts for many hours (over 100) unwound or worn.
It is also astonishingly precise and Accurate.

I have two watches with a 1315 movement and neither watch has ever got a cumulative error of over 1 second plus or minus and thats measured over a three month period.

My Rolex watches that have the 32xx movements can not get anywhere close to those results even over one single day.

I have had several Rolex watches with 32xx movements .. They are all "ex" my ownership now.

So coming back to the original question posted ... There is plenty of love for Blancpain Watches.

Those of us who admire quality over quantity know only too well the Origins, History, Quality, et all of Blancpain watches.

Ps: I still do have one Rolex watch left in my ownership .. An Exp II with a 3167 movement .. The predecessor of the 32xx movement .. and that watch is fine. It's the modern Rolex movements that leave too much to be desired.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2024, 02:09 AM   #69
orangeguy

Watch: Rolex 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
The 50 fathoms is probably the most interesting dive watch we can buy.
To me it’s superior to any Rolex

That sapphire bezel is much more special and difficult to make than a ceramic bezel
The movement is 10 times better finished
As for the looks, it looks stunning
Being 2 times the price of a Rolex sub makes it harder to swallow for a lot of people

Only thing that could improve is how the swatch group does their marketing

It should be THE dive watch but to most people it’s unknown
Just like breguet is imo much more interesting than vacheron and AP. Heck I would put it above patek looking at their history, DNA, …
But somehow the swatch group has some real jewels in house but don’t know how to play the game.

Where Rolex and patek are masters in marketing….the swatch group lacks it completely
I recently went to a Blancpain AD for an event. I had no intention of buying a watch. However, the blue Fifty Fathoms really caught my eye for many of teh reasons mentioned above. I debated between the 42 and the 45 and ended up buying the 45. I love this watch. It's light (on titanium bracelet) and actually doesn't wear too big (17 cm wrist). It is visually very interesting and flys under the radar to most, unlike my Sub. For years I have been looking for a good Sub replacement, I think I just stumbled across it.
orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 03:56 AM   #70
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeguy View Post
I recently went to a Blancpain AD for an event. I had no intention of buying a watch. However, the blue Fifty Fathoms really caught my eye for many of teh reasons mentioned above. I debated between the 42 and the 45 and ended up buying the 45. I love this watch. It's light (on titanium bracelet) and actually doesn't wear too big (17 cm wrist). It is visually very interesting and flys under the radar to most, unlike my Sub. For years I have been looking for a good Sub replacement, I think I just stumbled across it.
Great choice, wear it in health

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 08:16 AM   #71
Jewel Runner
"TRF" Member

The date position puts me off. The subdials of the chronograph eating the numerals too. And the price.
Jewel Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 08:25 AM   #72
NardinNut

I’m so tempted to buy an Air Command LE…..
*Not my pic*
Old 22 August 2024, 12:08 AM   #73
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
The date position puts me off. The subdials of the chronograph eating the numerals too. And the price.
Agreed. That crooked date wheel on many Blancpain models is so awkward. (They're not alone ... AP, Zenith, etc .... )

I find other design elements awkward too. Even the cool LE versions of the FF and No Rad have that odd crown-guard design. And why, oh why, does "Blancpain" need to be engraved in the side of the case, and so big?

I don't care how well-finished a watch is and how wonderful the movement might be. If the design is off, the rest is irrelevant.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 04:17 AM   #74
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

I assume those complaining about the engraving never had one one the wrist. Because then they would know it is absolutely not an issue. No one, including the person wearing it, sees it.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 06:22 AM   #75
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
The 50 fathoms is probably the most interesting dive watch we can buy.
To me it’s superior to any Rolex

That sapphire bezel is much more special and difficult to make than a ceramic bezel
The movement is 10 times better finished
As for the looks, it looks stunning
Being 2 times the price of a Rolex sub makes it harder to swallow for a lot of people

Only thing that could improve is how the swatch group does their marketing

It should be THE dive watch but to most people it’s unknown
Just like breguet is imo much more interesting than vacheron and AP. Heck I would put it above patek looking at their history, DNA, …
But somehow the swatch group has some real jewels in house but don’t know how to play the game.

Where Rolex and patek are masters in marketing….the swatch group lacks it completely

You make a good point. Fact is, offer 10 people the choice of a 50 Fathoms or a Submariner, 9 will take the Sub, regardless of price.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 06:39 AM   #76
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
I think the 50 fathoms is great - it's just too expensive and too thick for my taste.
Old 25 August 2024, 10:44 AM   #77
NardinNut

My AD just let me know about a new release coming from Blancpain.
New limited edition of 100 pieces Air Command. Priced at $21,200. Still on media embargo.
Bam beat the media hounds