The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2024, 08:11 AM   #1
bioyuki
"TRF" Member

126610LV Starbucks/Cermit as First Watch from AD in California?

I’m based in California and have made the rounds with all the ADs in my area looking for a 126610LV Starbucks/Cermit. Zero purchase history other than a Pelagos FXD at one AD.

Am I dreaming to think I can get a Cermit as a first/second watch, or do I just cut my losses and go grey (seems like there’s still a pretty substantial premium for grey vs. retail)?
bioyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 08:13 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Good luck either way! Great choice for first watch by the way
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 08:43 AM   #3
Socal Runner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Day-Date
I would save yourself the hassle and buy right away via grey if you can. I won't say it's impossible to get that watch via the traditional AD route but it's pretty close. AD's in my area (socal) will tell you that it's a highly desired watch and they have clients waiting years for it. What can you tell them that would jump you ahead of other clients? That's something to think about.

Being completely honest.
Socal Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 09:09 AM   #4
Mclark202
"TRF" Member

I got mine with no purchase history. But I also waited about 6 months and it was for my retirement gift to myself.
Mclark202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 09:31 AM   #5
sctodc
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Not sure where in CA you are, but as a point of reference, I’m in the Washington DC area (so relatively large city) and with purchase history at my AD (Speedmaster Professional in 2020 + ~$750 in jewelry for the wife) I’ve been waiting seven months for a 126610LN. Was quoted 12 months, and I have two major life events that my SA knows I am commemorating with the purchase (work promotion, milestone birthday). I assume the LV would be years.

Always worth a visit down to the AD to talk to a SA, but probably best to go grey if you want it in a reasonable time frame.
sctodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 11:18 AM   #6
thatswhatshesaid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioyuki View Post
I’m based in California and have made the rounds with all the ADs in my area looking for a 126610LV Starbucks/Cermit. Zero purchase history other than a Pelagos FXD at one AD.

Am I dreaming to think I can get a Cermit as a first/second watch, or do I just cut my losses and go grey (seems like there’s still a pretty substantial premium for grey vs. retail)?
Buy one on the secondary market for now. They are moving on Moda for 14-15K and not going up. That's no too bad since retail with tax is close to 12k.

Stay on top of your AD and when you do get the call, sell the grey piece. It's like a Rolex rental while you wait.
thatswhatshesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 11:39 AM   #7
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
it's definitely doable
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 05:29 PM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Unlikely I’d say. They’ll have established clients with purchase history waiting on a green sub.

Given the model and your situation, I’d go grey for a few k more. If you get the call you can always sell the grey one back to the grey.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 06:36 PM   #9
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Very doable IMO. Rolex market softened enough to get SS Subs from AD. Settle for 4-6 months wait tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:53 PM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Depends on how long you are willing to wait. How long you will wait is impossible to predict. MY AD plays straight in that if they say I'm on a list I know the watch will appear at some point. If you can't trust an AD to actually list you, you may as well take the shortest route - if you are willing to pay. Once the used premium comes down to within, say 15-20% of MSRP (pick your prefered threshold), buying now could offset future hikes in MSRP while you are waiting. I got a "good" deal (relatively speaking) on my first Sky Dweller by buying it used before a significant jump in MSRP.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:53 PM   #11
Doood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio_UKR View Post
Very doable IMO. Rolex market softened enough to get SS Subs from AD. Settle for 4-6 months wait tho

I agree. Maybe 6 months but maybe less, depending how the AD likes you. This might not have been the case a year ago, though. If it were me, I would wait it out and not go grey.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 08:18 PM   #12
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So what did they say?
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 08:51 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Nice watch the Rolex 126610LV and much better than a cup of coffee or a green puppet frog.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 08:54 PM   #14
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Good luck OP, it would be a great watch to own
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 10:08 PM   #15
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
It's possible but it all depends on the AD.
If you don't want to wait, I'd buy now and don't look back. It's a fantastic watch!!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 10:31 PM   #16
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
It all depends. Trusted Sellers put this to rest and you get your watch tomorrow.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 10:51 PM   #17
Littlelad2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP and Rolex
I have my name down for this, and the CHNR. It's very early days, but I'm assuming I'll be offered the latter first.

I did consider going via the grey market (especially for the Rootbeer), but maybe I'm a bit weird, as I quite like the anticipation of waiting for the call .

Good luck OP

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk
Littlelad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 11:24 PM   #18
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Purchased a Sub LV two months ago. Today will be boating, jet skiing, swimming in the MN lake I grew up on breaking her in.
Padi approving of this model makes me appreciate it even more. Will go shipwreck diving in Lake Superior in October in honor of him.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 03:33 AM   #19
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
I'm sure you'll get the watch eventually. Just depends how quickly you want it.

No AD could / would give me a reasonable time frame below 2 years so I went grey for the same watch. It boils down to how much you're prepared to pay.
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 06:40 AM   #20
Cassian739

May the odds be ever in your favor!
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 06:49 AM   #21
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
There will of course be exceptions but Its very unlikely as a first watch.
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 07:21 AM   #22
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
One thing to consider...

Living in California, (depending on area) your sales tax is going to be close to 10%. That puts a new LV at $11,880 out the door. A like new edition from a reputable grey will be just over $14K.

Two grand is a lot of money to be sure, but the premium of having it now is not overly exorbitant as it was awhile back.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 04:32 AM   #23
bioyuki
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. An Interesting mix of ‘go grey’ and ‘the market is softening, wait’, seems almost 50/50.

All the ADs I talked to were pretty noncommittal and despite a milestone birthday coming up, I’m thinking my chances are pretty slim unless the economy continues to deteriorate and the macro shifts in the next few months.

Grey prices I’m seeing for new pieces are north of $15k so the premium is still hefty. But as some posters said, it might make sense to go grey now, and then sell the piece when one becomes available at an AD.
Old 5 August 2024, 05:41 AM   #24
EL Diablo
"TRF" Member

I recently l picked up the Mark II Ver. as new from a Grey dealer. The Green is very nice where there are so many Black Subs out there.

If you can swallow the premium I'd bite the bullet and go Grey and have it now.

Good luck.
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 09:22 PM   #25
drrd
"TRF" Member

I would consider a straight answer from an AD to be either ‘we’ll add you to the list but be prepared to wait for X number of years’ or ‘sorry, that list is closed’.

Noncommittal or dodging the topic of wait time, I would assume a very, very low likelihood of allocation.

The Mk1 green bezel is not too much over retail now.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 04:53 AM   #26
bioyuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
I would consider a straight answer from an AD to be either ‘we’ll add you to the list but be prepared to wait for X number of years’ or ‘sorry, that list is closed’.

Noncommittal or dodging the topic of wait time, I would assume a very, very low likelihood of allocation.

The Mk1 green bezel is not too much over retail now.
Agreed, I have the same interpretation. Sucks being in a major metro sometimes. Unfortunately I strongly prefer the MK2 vs the MK1, and there’s a pretty significant premium for the former right now.
Old 6 August 2024, 01:29 PM   #27
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

That’s a tough one for a first purchase? Speak with your AD they should be honest with you and you may get lucky. A smaller AD is always best, the big ones no chance like WosS They have list from here to forever. Good luck with the hunt.

Cheer's,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 01:32 PM   #28
PTCDAD
"TRF" Member

I have around a $30k purchase history with my AD over the past 12 months & I've been waiting 8 months for the Starbucks.

PTCDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 02:53 PM   #29
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I've received it as a first watch. However, I had to follow up regularly for 2 years.

I don't recommend it. I felt it diminished the value and enjoyment of the watch. All I remembered about it was how I felt like i had to beg for it. LOL. So keep trying if you are into that type of begging, bc Rolex has almost 2000 points of sale, you're bound to get lucky somewhere.

Otherwise, you have a couple choices.

Just keep buying jewelry and things until one of them gives it to you.

Buy it at market price. Used wholesale price for a kermit is in the $13's. So your price target for used is about $14's.

Quote:

SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote