The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 April 2022, 05:30 PM   #1
Oryx
"TRF" Member

5470P monopusher split second

Here we go - looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 06:10 PM   #2
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Interesting! I'm looking forward to learning more details of how the watch works.

We know that Zenith has a system that also does 1/10th accuracy. Of course this is much more special though. A platinum manual wound chronograph. Nice to see something new!
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 06:21 PM   #3
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Nice, but at CHF380k, very expensive imo. Makes the 5370p look like a bargain.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 06:24 PM   #4
starship33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Next level: add the perpetual calendar module and it will be in the price range of the former 5372 :-)
starship33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 07:17 PM   #5
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
380k? oh wow, how do you know already? =).

This is quite a unique watch for PP, but I find it really hard to like this over a regular 5170P, let alone for the price of 2 of them.
Old 6 April 2022, 07:27 PM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post

This is quite a unique watch for PP, but I find it really hard to like this over a regular 5170P, let alone for the price of 2 of them.
Agree. Still remember people picking up left over 5170P at retail not too long ago. That boat clearly has sailed.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 10:17 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Agree. Still remember people picking up left over 5170P at retail not too long ago. That boat clearly has sailed.

I reached out to K2 about buying one sealed for 72k USD and didn’t pull the trigger when I couldn’t get them to budge on price!

Win some lose some.
Old 7 April 2022, 12:59 AM   #8
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post

4 times the retail price of the 5170p…
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 01:56 AM   #9
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
4 times the retail price of the 5170p…
oops, i mean 5270p.
Old 6 April 2022, 11:35 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Czapek had a split-second launch this week. Great price, incredible handcraftsmanship, and WOW talk about innovation you an see with your own eyes. Alas, i believe it is sold out, which is very understandable when you look at the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
FP Journe has a 1/100 second called Centigraphe at a fraction of the cost of 5470P (albeit the Centigraphe is only running at 3 Hz). The Centigraphe was produced since 2008 and is 10.1mm thick. Am I missing something?
FPJ has far better traditional handcrafting too. But i get it, years ago felt PP could never misstep. So i very much understand the blind faith in the PP religion.

Given the choice, i'd go to FPJ and reserve his 1/10th chrono ASAP since some of those here missed out on the Czapek split-second release.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 12:20 AM   #11
Amateur
Banned

Czapek does nothing for me. I thought i wanted an Antarctique but decided not to get it - and glad I didn't. Same for the rattrapante released - does absolutely nothing for me.

Handcrafting and visual impact is very subjective from person to person. I don't like FPJ's designs AT ALL and with a much lower production volume than Patek, I would hope Mr Journe and his employees have time to finetune ALL of the watches produced (even that is not correct, some have more attention given to than others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Czapek had a split-second launch this week. Great price, incredible handcraftsmanship, and WOW talk about innovation you an see with your own eyes. Alas, i believe it is sold out, which is very understandable when you look at the design.

FPJ has far better traditional handcrafting too. But i get it, years ago felt PP could never misstep. So i very much understand the blind faith in the PP religion.

Given the choice, i'd go to FPJ and reserve his 1/10th chrono ASAP since some of those here missed out on the Czapek split-second release.
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 12:54 AM   #12
Nicof
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur View Post
Czapek does nothing for me. I thought i wanted an Antarctique but decided not to get it - and glad I didn't. Same for the rattrapante released - does absolutely nothing for me.
Same.

Nicof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 02:49 PM   #13
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
I doubt FPJ watches have many handcrafting elements. Their guilloche is stamped and you don't see sharp inward angles (a sign that the bevel on a movement is manually hand-finished) in their movements. Patek at least still do hand-turn guilloche on their Worldtime and some GC, and finishes their repeater movements with sharp inward angles.

And there are also time resource and price factors. Patek produces 60,000 watches a year and their 3-hander Calatrava is sold at a tiny fraction (in terms of pricing) of Kari's handmade watches. We can't expect the finishing on a Calatrava to be the same as the 28 given the vast difference in pricing. I also doubt Patek is able to scale up its number of watchmakers to the extent they can match Kari's finishing on every watch, even if they want to, because such talents are limited. Finally, do consumers want to pay 120k for a basic Calatrava? The market would be a much smaller one, and this will also affect Patek's revenue (+ profit) where it matters the most.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 09:43 PM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I doubt FPJ watches have many handcrafting elements. Their guilloche is stamped and you don't see sharp inward angles (a sign that the bevel on a movement is manually hand-finished) in their movements. Patek at least still do hand-turn guilloche on their Worldtime and some GC, and finishes their repeater movements with sharp inward angles.

And there are also time resource and price factors. Patek produces 60,000 watches a year and their 3-hander Calatrava is sold at a tiny fraction (in terms of pricing) of Kari's handmade watches. We can't expect the finishing on a Calatrava to be the same as the 28 given the vast difference in pricing. I also doubt Patek is able to scale up its number of watchmakers to the extent they can match Kari's finishing on every watch, even if they want to, because such talents are limited. Finally, do consumers want to pay 120k for a basic Calatrava? The market would be a much smaller one, and this will also affect Patek's revenue (+ profit) where it matters the most.

Have to agree. I’m an absolute Journe kool aid drinker but you don’t buy Journe for hand finishing. Movement design. Dial design. Unique Journe aesthetic.

Finishing is an interesting part of the watch world. Some it’s all they care about and their grail is a Dufour while others care more about the overall aesthetic, history, complications etc

If I had a Dufour I’d immediately trade it for a box of Journes, Pateks and MBF!
Old 7 April 2022, 10:47 PM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Finishing is an interesting part of the watch world. Some it’s all they care about and their grail is a Dufour while others care more about the overall aesthetic, history, complications etc

If I had a Dufour I’d immediately trade it for a box of Journes, Pateks and MBF!
I would love to own a Simplicity but did not have the luck at the 10 piece lottery. Hope to get lucky for the RRCC2. This is sheer horological finishing flex.

IMG_07042022_204627_(900_x_700_pixel).jpg

IMG_07042022_204326_(950_x_700_pixel).jpg
Photos from SJX.
Old 8 April 2022, 11:33 PM   #16
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:

Exactly!! Yes I love Patek and own many of their watches, but I don't consider myself a blind fanboy. Could Patek do better with their finishing? Sure, but as you correctly state, Patek's pricing is much lower than many independents at similar complication levels and also, many of Patek's other components, like case design, case manufacture, reliability (a big thing), consistency of quality, the after service network and availability of support etc. This all counts towards the watch that is Patek Philippe. I have a 5236 and it has no inward angles on the movement. Its $130K for a perpetual. Is it expensive? Yes but not outrageously so and other "independent" perpetuals cost much more and are thicker or bigger and more prone to issues as well. Pros and Cons. FPJ rarely gets criticized but the movement finishing is fairly basic in all honesty. Are his watches excellent? Yes! Watches like the chronometre Optimum are super interesting and negates the average finishing with other factors.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 01:23 AM   #17
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Exactly!! Yes I love Patek and own many of their watches, but I don't consider myself a blind fanboy. Could Patek do better with their finishing? Sure, but as you correctly state, Patek's pricing is much lower than many independents at similar complication levels and also, many of Patek's other components, like case design, case manufacture, reliability (a big thing), consistency of quality, the after service network and availability of support etc. This all counts towards the watch that is Patek Philippe. I have a 5236 and it has no inward angles on the movement. Its $130K for a perpetual. Is it expensive? Yes but not outrageously so and other "independent" perpetuals cost much more and are thicker or bigger and more prone to issues as well. Pros and Cons. FPJ rarely gets criticized but the movement finishing is fairly basic in all honesty. Are his watches excellent? Yes! Watches like the chronometre Optimum are super interesting and negates the average finishing with other factors.
Yes and as GB2 posted, the aesthetics, history and complications are also factors other than finishing. I'm inclined to think that many of us posting in this sub-forum are drawn to Patek's design language (not the only factor of course). Sometimes we wear a watch simply because we love the way it looks. Same with FPJ - I like the whimsical look of their dials. His watches are so cool mechanically and creatively too.

Nice 5236P you got.
Old 7 April 2022, 03:33 PM   #18
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great piece, but don’t worry, the next release will be along later this year/early next year with a slight variance to keep everyone happy.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 06:26 PM   #19
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

interesting but not my cup of tea. haha.
Love the promo video and it is amazing though
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 06:28 PM   #20
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Lovely piece but the heading is wrong, it’s not a Rattrapante
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 07:17 PM   #21
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

5470P monopusher split second

5470P is their first chronograph capable of one-tenth of a second. New manual caliber CH 29-535 PS 1/10 beats at a frequency of 5 Hz (that’s 36,000 per hour).

It is equipped with an additional chronograph mechanism dedicated to measuring and precisely displaying stopped tenths of a second.

A two-step read for those needing that precision.

Video: https://theforwardgroup.us6.list-man...4&e=76de31c436

Be patient, the servers are slammed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 03:37 AM   #22
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
5470P is their first chronograph capable of one-tenth of a second. New manual caliber CH 29-535 PS 1/10 beats at a frequency of 5 Hz (that’s 36,000 per hour).

It is equipped with an additional chronograph mechanism dedicated to measuring and precisely displaying stopped tenths of a second.

thank you really enjoyed the video and learned a lot - I just wish I could see it in person one day - maybe at the salon at some point this year
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 04:01 AM   #23
Nicof
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

This video more than justifies the price of this watch in my opinion. Very very impressive.

Old 6 April 2022, 07:57 PM   #24
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Wow... I would love this in white gold and at 1/3 the price maybe
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 08:24 PM   #25
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Am I that only one to not understand why this piece was released in blue/red with a cloth strap? At $400K?

I think if this was a Rolex they'd be calling it Supergirl, and similarly, everyone will love to look but no one will plan to actually bring it home.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 08:51 PM   #26
Nicof
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Am I that only one to not understand why this piece was released in blue/red with a cloth strap? At $400K?

I think if this was a Rolex they'd be calling it Supergirl, and similarly, everyone will love to look but no one will plan to actually bring it home.

Strap I actually calf skin with a fabric look. But yes, get your point.

Old 6 April 2022, 08:28 PM   #27
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Seems like a lot of the inspiration for this watch came from the one-off 5004T. Beautiful but super pricey.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 08:58 PM   #28
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I wish it didnt say "1/10" on the dial. Even though its not my style, I do appreciate them trying this dial and colour scheme.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 09:51 PM   #29
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I wish it didnt say "1/10" on the dial. Even though its not my style, I do appreciate them trying this dial and colour scheme.

That was my gut reaction! Gorgeous case and dial but stained by the “1/10 second” text.

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 09:02 PM   #30
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

FP Journe has a 1/100 second called Centigraphe at a fraction of the cost of 5470P (albeit the Centigraphe is only running at 3 Hz). The Centigraphe was produced since 2008 and is 10.1mm thick. Am I missing something?