The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 June 2023, 05:13 AM   #1
PeteWales
"TRF" Member

Absolute AP Newbie UK - Bond St Invitation. Advice Please

Hello All

I have been lucky enough to have received help on the Rolex and Panerai forums and hope my good run of interacting with the very knowledgeable continues here.

Quite simply I would like a Stainless Steel Royal Oak. I have absolutely no relationship with AP and have never even touched one. I would like either a 1150ST 41mm or a 11620 Jumbo Ultra Thin. 39mm (?) No doubt I have picked the two most desirable models with 300 year waiting lists; i tend to do that.

I emailed the AP Showroom on Bond Street half expecting them not to even reply; but they have done and asked me to come and view the above watches. I actually don't mind waiting a little while for a watch because I might pull the money out of my pension in about 18 months time. Obviously if one comes in prior I do have funds to purchase.

I can see the above watches go for considerably over list on the secondary market so I assume there must be a considerable wait time for them? I'm not asking for hacks to jump queues or any such nonsense. I would just like a fair understanding of what to expect before I visit.

One last and possibly extremely dumb question. How tough are Stainless Steel Royal Oaks. I wear a stainless Rolex Datejust every day and that's quite a tough watch and can take a little clumsiness. Might I expect the same resilience from a RO ?

Really look forward to any help any of you might be able to offer.

Thanks!

Pete
PeteWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 05:54 AM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWales View Post
Quite simply I would like a Stainless Steel Royal Oak. I have absolutely no relationship with AP and have never even touched one. I would like either a 1150ST 41mm or a 11620 Jumbo Ultra Thin. 39mm (?) No doubt I have picked the two most desirable models with 300 year waiting lists; i tend to do that.
Your model numbers are a bit garbled. I assume 11620 = 16202, but am not sure if 1150 = 15510 or something else.

Getting a 16202 as a first AP would be quite extraordinary, and there would have to be some particular reason why they would allocate one to a new client, instead of the long line of customers with extensive purchase history waiting for this particular model at the same boutique/house.

There are many adjectives that spring to mind when describing APs, robustness is not among those. They can be used daily, but the finish and the movements are somewhat more delicate than the typical Rolex, I'd say.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 06:00 AM   #3
PeteWales
"TRF" Member

Hello

Sorry I was trying to remember the reference numbers! I must clarify and say that I haven't been offered any watches at all; i've merely been invited to visit. Would the 41mm 'Standard' Stainless RO ( I believe retail approx £23K ) be more achievable on any timescale? I'm certainly not looking or hoping to jump any queues.

Thanks!
Old 19 June 2023, 06:08 AM   #4
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Yeah they are nowhere near as tough as Rolex, actually, I can't really think of any watch brand with movements as robust as Rolex.

Rolex has the advantage of massive volume, which means they can amortize engineering costs better than others, and it's a big part of the draw for me at least. Nobody can really touch them in-terms of accuracy+reliability.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 01:05 PM   #5
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Yeah they are nowhere near as tough as Rolex, actually, I can't really think of any watch brand with movements as robust as Rolex.

Rolex has the advantage of massive volume, which means they can amortize engineering costs better than others, and it's a big part of the draw for me at least. Nobody can really touch them in-terms of accuracy+reliability.
It’s honestly mind boggling, I put my Sub through the wringer with any and all physical activity and it still ticks +1/-1. Amazing
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 06:24 AM   #6
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
The 3-hander (15510) is potentially do-able as a first piece, depending how well you click with the SA. It would not be the norm though by any means.

My advice is to be open and transparent - tell them what you’re looking for, show your passion and interest, and have a conversation with them about what they think may be possible.

As far as toughness - depends on how you define “clumsiness”! The finish on Royal Oaks means that they will show scratches, dings, etc more than perhaps a Rolex would. However, the movements aren’t overly-delicate to the point where you can’t wear one daily. I have two RO’s, one with a slightly older movement (3120) and one with the new chrono movement (4401). I alternate between them daily, and I wear them to the gym, snorkeling, in the pool, at the range, etc. No issues yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 07:09 AM   #7
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Many of us on here have had a great experience with AP House on Bond Street. Making the effort to go and introduce yourself is the key to start (I made the 400 mile round trip from Devon in a day back in 2020 to start off my relationship). They are very welcoming. Just be upfront and say what you’d like, hopefully try on a few watches and take it from there.

I’m no authority but as has already been said, I’d be very surprised if you could get a jumbo. If it’s a RO you’re set on as a first watch, a 15510 is your most likely option I would think.

See it as a lovely day out, it’s a great place to go. Don’t expect to get anything soon, but who knows.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 07:26 AM   #8
PeteWales
"TRF" Member

Thank you all so much for the advice. Greatly appreciated. I will most definitely visit the Showroom and lay my cards on the table.
Old 19 June 2023, 07:40 AM   #9
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Best of luck Pete but the Steel 15510 is THE most requested reference for the Uk market and it’s therefore a very big ask as a first purchase at AP House. Are there other models that you are also considering?

As for a Jumbo 16202…..don’t even bother asking!

And be in it for the long game too as you won’t get anything that quickly.

You’ll have a great time and as others have rightly said the team there are just great.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 12:51 PM   #10
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

asking for 16202 is like asking for white dial daytona
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 12:59 PM   #11
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
asking for 16202 is like asking for white dial daytona
I’d argue MUCH harder. At least with the Daytona there’s 100+ ADs you can travel to, could pitch buying something as a bundle, etc etc. AP has WAY more clients per location, and doesn’t really play the bundling game. I honestly could see a SA getting fired for jumping the dozens of other clients with purchase history to allocate a jumbo to some new guy, unless he had massive political/celebrity connections. Let’s just be real.

Additionally, he’s in UK, which is notoriously known across all brands to be super tough for allocations.

OP- I’ll shoot straight because I think you can appreciate honesty. Jumbo is not happening, even in 3-4 years. Literally less than a .001% chance in my opinion. It’s just completely non-sensical to give to you. Additionally, I’d say you’d be *very* lucky to get a 15510 as a first piece within 18 months as well. And that’s if we’re strictly talking black/white/grey, if blue or green, same as Jumbo (albeit not as difficult)

Again, just shooting straight as I think it’s beneficial if you were to be more realistic with your expectations. Not to mention, your SA is probably going to think you don’t know much about the brand, nor did any homework, if you’re coming in asking for a Jumbo. I can see that working against you, when you’re trying to form some type of relationship to get allocated a hot watch.

Lastly, you’re talking about pulling pension funds and you may quite well be in the position that you just want to buy what you want and the time is more important than the money. If this is the case, go grey. Just my 2c
Old 19 June 2023, 07:50 PM   #12
Mini2
"TRF" Member

What helps is a introduction to the brand by someone who already owns and works from that house
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 01:47 AM   #13
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
What helps is a introduction to the brand by someone who already owns and works from that house
Has that helped you?
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 05:24 AM   #14
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkk View Post
Has that helped you?
Ive tried without help
5 years strong
Still nothing
Old 20 June 2023, 01:21 PM   #15
Armis
"TRF" Member

Keep an open mind, and enjoy the chance to try on different models.
Perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised when you try a ROO, or a Code. Plus, purchasing one of those may facilitate the allocation of a 15510.
Good luck!
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 07:53 PM   #16
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC / AP
Yep - i got my 15510st (black dial) in around two years. First contact was May-21, first visit July-21, then have been back quarterly. Got the call in Apr-23

My initial SA - whom I believe I got on with well, left in 2022 and I was assigned a new SA (who is amazing).

If you're a whiskey lover, I would suggest you go often because AP is generous with their portions.... had a few shots of different ones each time I went (Hibiki, Macallan 18 etc...)
fatcows7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2023, 09:44 PM   #17
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
I must command Rolex for its accuracy. As described before, the Rolex I have track my iPhone time down to the second for weeks. Meanwhile my APs are a bit more approximative in their time-keeping functions.

Regarding robustness, keep in mind that a Rolex and a AP are both similar, in that they don't really want to kiss concrete or slam a wall. If you wear a Rolex, you can wear an AP.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 04:47 AM   #18
PeteWales
"TRF" Member

I have been onto Chrono 24 and secondary market seems to be + £10,000 for a brand new unworn steel 15510 41mm - is that correct ?
Old 20 June 2023, 05:12 AM   #19
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWales View Post
I have been onto Chrono 24 and secondary market seems to be + £10,000 for a brand new unworn steel 15510 41mm - is that correct ?

Very much depends on colour.

Costs nothing to try but the odds are seriously slim as first watch. Might be worth saying you would take any colour if that’s accurate.
wb55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 06:36 PM   #20
PattayaHammerTime
"TRF" Member

I had a fantastic experience meeting the staff at AP house bond st and was after a particular model myself which was the https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...A002KB.01.html

that being said I kept and open mind and put my name down on a few models, few months later I was delighted to receive a call first asking me if I was still interested and then to say it was there.

Relax, enjoy and good luck!
PattayaHammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 07:27 PM   #21
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

I've Given Up

Been cultivating the relationship for around 3yrs now. I'd had 3-4 visits, provided my life story bio and been offered a couple of Codes prior to my SA leaving in 2022 (as mentioned by another poster).

I didn't get any communication that my SA had left, instead I just saw him working at another AD on Bond St. I waited a few months thinking someone at AP House would have the courtesy to assign me a new SA but heard nothing so sent an email.

I got a very apologetic call from Vanessa (AP House Manager). She was very polite and said my profile was the sort of client they were after, and she really wanted me to come in and meet. She sent me an email and asked me to provide dates that work. I offered a few dates in response and heard absolutely nothing (this was a few months back).

Based on my conversations with my original SA and Vanessa I think I was probably close to getting offered something (I was after a 38mm ROC or 37mm RO) but getting blanked again is pretty much the final straw that has broken the camels back as there's only so many times personal pride will allow you to be mugged off so I've thrown the towel in.
SpecialK888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 07:57 PM   #22
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK888 View Post
Been cultivating the relationship for around 3yrs now. I'd had 3-4 visits, provided my life story bio and been offered a couple of Codes prior to my SA leaving in 2022 (as mentioned by another poster).

I didn't get any communication that my SA had left, instead I just saw him working at another AD on Bond St. I waited a few months thinking someone at AP House would have the courtesy to assign me a new SA but heard nothing so sent an email.

I got a very apologetic call from Vanessa (AP House Manager). She was very polite and said my profile was the sort of client they were after, and she really wanted me to come in and meet. She sent me an email and asked me to provide dates that work. I offered a few dates in response and heard absolutely nothing (this was a few months back).

Based on my conversations with my original SA and Vanessa I think I was probably close to getting offered something (I was after a 38mm ROC or 37mm RO) but getting blanked again is pretty much the final straw that has broken the camels back as there's only so many times personal pride will allow you to be mugged off so I've thrown the towel in.
Hope the camel makes a full recovery.
Old 20 June 2023, 09:23 PM   #23
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK888 View Post

Sent you a PM.

Vanessa is just brilliant (as mnay other UK members know very well) and I know that she is highly unlikely to have just "blanked" you but the fact is that in her role she is just incredibly busy/hugely in demand so one will need to persevre and it'll be well worth it
Old 21 June 2023, 05:37 AM   #24
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Sent you a PM.

Vanessa is just brilliant (as mnay other UK members know very well) and I know that she is highly unlikely to have just "blanked" you but the fact is that in her role she is just incredibly busy/hugely in demand so one will need to persevre and it'll be well worth it
Can we all request this Vanessa SA?
Old 21 June 2023, 07:18 AM   #25
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you can vanish on her like you do here?
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 08:14 AM   #26
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon13

Quote:
First off she’s not an SA and no……we’ve all warned her about you….
Old 20 June 2023, 09:20 PM   #27
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

I've waited and built a relationship for 4 years to get the jumbo. So, getting the current 16202 at 1st piece is quite stretched, or slim chance.
It could be nice if you look into the other models rather than Royal Oak to discuss with them so that they'll know more about you and your preferences or opportunities to get what you want. So, good luck
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 10:03 PM   #28
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napaswar View Post
I've waited and built a relationship for 4 years to get the jumbo. So, getting the current 16202 at 1st piece is quite stretched, or slim chance.
It could be nice if you look into the other models rather than Royal Oak to discuss with them so that they'll know more about you and your preferences or opportunities to get what you want. So, good luck
What was your purchase history like to get that piece in UK?
Old 20 June 2023, 11:10 PM   #29
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

AP House in London are great, I was allocated the Royal Oak as my first AP. Waited a year or so, I have no connections or friends there so I think it is definitely possible. Good luck it is worth the wait
Old 21 June 2023, 05:36 AM   #30
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashj52 View Post
AP House in London are great, I was allocated the Royal Oak as my first AP. Waited a year or so, I have no connections or friends there so I think it is definitely possible. Good luck it is worth the wait
This kills me to read