The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 February 2022, 04:25 AM   #1
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Is anyone else not all that impressed with the Daytona?

I know this may be provocative, but I don’t get the hype over this watch. It seems to be so many people’s grail, but I think it’s meh, actually ugly.

Can someone explain why this is such a desired watch. It’s can’t all be the hype and the skyrocketing gray price…
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:27 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is always something that is at the top of the list, regardless of the product.

Why do people revere Red Subs.
Old 10 February 2022, 04:31 AM   #3
1sttimerolex
"TRF" Member

I used to think it was the least attractive rolex offering (not counting their pearlmasters and cellinis), with such busy dial (especially the new ones with all those letters crowding up the dial), let alone legibility issues....but now I find them super nice and really want one!!! Hahahahaha
1sttimerolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:29 AM   #4
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
It’s a good watch - and a good looking watch. I’d definitely buy and wear at retail but not at todays price. But I’ve paid plenty over for other watches. The only thing that bugs me about the watch is the asymmetrical lugs.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:30 AM   #5
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
For what? You’ve already made your mind about it. If you don’t like it you don’t like it.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:31 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

You just saved yourself $50k+.

Seriously, you don’t have to like it but if your gonna spend some time in the Rolex world, you should at least understand it’s significance in the grand scheme of the brand. It’s kinda like: you don’t have to like the looks of a 911 and still be a Porsche fan.
Old 10 February 2022, 04:35 AM   #7
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post

Seriously, you don’t have to like it but if your gonna spend some time in the Rolex world, you should at least understand it’s significance in the grand scheme of the brand. It’s kinda like: you don’t have to like the looks of a 911 and still be a Porsche fan.
+1 This is well said I'm not enamored with the Daytona (at least the current SS iterations of it) and certainly do not even consider the current market prices worth paying, but it is IMO an undeniably good watch and important part of the Rolex portfolio.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 09:44 AM   #8
Df1kilo1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Spot on but I’ll take it one step further. I know a lot of people that are gun collectors. Not a gun guy but I’ve seen some gun collections and I can really appreciate the craftsmanship and the metal work the woodwork etc. Same with a Daytona. I can see it on the table and appreciate the beauty of it. However I wouldn’t wear it. But I’ve seen some people though where and it looks spectacular on them. Just not a watch for me
Df1kilo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:31 AM   #9
ThePalletFork
"TRF" Member

If you don't like it, you don't like it. No biggy.

That's why this hobby is so fun. There is a watch for everyone
ThePalletFork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:32 AM   #10
franklee168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN W+B DIAL
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
franklee168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:32 AM   #11
Daryl

i like the panda version

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:39 AM   #12
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I hate my Daytona.
Old 10 February 2022, 07:04 AM   #13
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
I hate my Daytona.
Same here, i hate it.
Old 10 February 2022, 09:13 AM   #14
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
I hate my Daytona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIWALKER View Post
Same here, i hate it.
Calvin, … Willi… I want to help. I don’t want either of you to spend one more day with that detestable timepiece. Tell you what, I’ll take them off your hands, heck, I’ll even pay for shipping.

No, no need to thank me, just trying to help out a fellow TRFer

I will PM you my shipping address.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 09:59 AM   #15
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Calvin, … Willi… I want to help. I don’t want either of you to spend one more day with that detestable timepiece. Tell you what, I’ll take them off your hands, heck, I’ll even pay for shipping.

No, no need to thank me, just trying to help out a fellow TRFer

I will PM you my shipping address.
Please make sure to cover the 3% PayPal fees. Watch will be in the post tomorrow and I’ll send tracking! Thanks for the pleasant transaction!!
Old 10 February 2022, 10:12 AM   #16
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Please make sure to cover the 3% PayPal fees. Watch will be in the post tomorrow and I’ll send tracking! Thanks for the pleasant transaction!!
Did…. Did I just by a Daytona?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:40 AM   #17
telesquire
Banned

Yes, its not for me either. Value/cost aside I'd take pretty much every other model before that. I think a lot of people maybe those away from this forum buy it solely because it considered the 'top' model, its 'flash' and is shooting up in 'value' For me its a bit 1980's looking and unecessary. And yes before someone says it, I could/can afford one. I didn't want them when they sat in AD's windows available cheap.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:42 AM   #18
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Oh I think it’s a good watch and a significant watch. But I can’t figure out for the life of me why it’s fetching these premiums. I understand the BLRO to some extent. It’s the first GMT to come in an iconic colorway in many years. There were a ton of people waiting for that watch.
But I don’t think (?) it was like that with the Daytona. And it’s commanding premiums that are 2-3 times that of the Pepsi.
I’m just trying to figure it out. Is is scarcity? Something else?
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:43 AM   #19
SlowhandBuzz
"TRF" Member

I'm a big chronograph fan and years ago the Daytona wouldn't have scratched my top 25, now that I've grown to appreciate what it is, it is easily in my top 5 and would love to be able to snag a ceramic if given the opportunity.
SlowhandBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 05:12 AM   #20
FloridaBill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Quote:

Perfect analogy...I love Ferrari's, but had a chance to drive a 911 GT2 at the track and now see why people like them, but I am still sticking with Ferrari (and Daytona's too).

I prefer the new Daytona's over the older ones (gasp..) and still not a fan of the two-tone or gold ones, but those are just my opinions
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 05:42 AM   #21
DK7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBill View Post
Perfect analogy...I love Ferrari's, but had a chance to drive a 911 GT2 at the track and now see why people like them, but I am still sticking with Ferrari (and Daytona's too).

I prefer the new Daytona's over the older ones (gasp..) and still not a fan of the two-tone or gold ones, but those are just my opinions
Try GT3 RS at track and you will like it even more.
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 05:09 AM   #22
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the Daytona but simply not for me. One of my least favorite Rolex models. Like a Breitling Navitimer. Useless aviation slide rule. But both cool watches.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 05:18 AM   #23
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
As chronographs go, it’s got one of the most bullet proof movements
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 05:22 AM   #24
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Classic design but hugely overrated.

I’ll be interested when they update the movement to high beat rate and give it the new bracelet and slim the case a bit as well as other refinements.

It’s a nice watch for 2001.
Old 10 February 2022, 08:01 AM   #25
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post

I’ll be interested when they update the movement to high beat rate
I highly doubt THAT will ever happen...

Look no further when Rolex introduced the "new" automatic version in 1988 using the base Zenith movement, Rolex specifically reduced the 36,000 beat rate down to 28,800. One of the hallmarks of a Rolex is reliability, long life, and serviceability of their movements. High beat movements are less reliable, require more servicing, and (generally) do not last as long. Also, I do not think the Chronegry Escapement will work on a high beat movement (much like Omega's Coaxial escapement requires a reduced beat rate to 25,200).
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 11:19 AM   #26
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:

I’ll be interested when they update the movement to high beat rate and give it the new bracelet and slim the case a bit as well as other refinements.

True, I don’t like Daytona, just me 😩🤢
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 01:36 AM   #27
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:

I thought it’s current beat rate is what makes it have such a good power reserve. Thin it more? It’s already small but super comfortable already. It doesn’t need improvements. It was ahead of it’s time and needs no changes yet
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 02:15 AM   #28
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorrebl View Post
I thought it’s current beat rate is what makes it have such a good power reserve. Thin it more? It’s already small but super comfortable already. It doesn’t need improvements. It was ahead of it’s time and needs no changes yet

You’re right. The best rate was slowed, the movement was simplified to make it cheaper and easier to service. It’s a good workhorse movement from 20+ years ago.

Looking forward to a modern chronograph movement from Rolex. The 31xx was a good movement for the 90s also. But Rolex is the king of incremental improvements.

I just want high beat rate 36k, slimmer movement to provide for a slimmer and better designed case and update to the new bracelet. Incremental improvements all around.

I suspect all the professional series will follow their modern design language from the submariner. 40-41mm case, 21mm lugs, more curves and complexity to the cases with better balance and thinner.

There’s always going to be people who hate change and say the good ol days were best and old technology was the best. You just gotta ignore those folks and look forward to the future. Let them enjoy their nostalgia and everyone is happy.
Old 11 February 2022, 03:53 AM   #29
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

Have to agree

If we park the hype and incredible marketing job done by Rolex and look at the technical aspects of the Daytona, it always bugged me that the dial is marked In increments of 1/5 of a second and the movement has a 28,800 bph rate or 8 per second. Total mismatch.

For such a “highly rated” car race relevant chrono that’s a bit of a faux pas by Rolex.

With no space on the dial for more markers it really should have been an 18,000 bph rate like the earlier Speedmasters or more appropriately 36,000 bph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 03:58 AM   #30
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:

Daytona is one of the slimmest and nicest wearing Rolex watches already. How tiny do you want your Daytona? The bracelet is already the same solid link Oyster they use on almost every other Rolex watch. What's the new bracelet, abbreviated Glidelock? With the slim case back the Daytona is one of the few watches where it's not needed (and I love the Glidelock). The 3135 was around for 30 years or so, so the 4130 has plenty of life in it. You're not finding many other in-house column-wheel chronographs with WR to 100m. Perhaps Blancpain or JLC but that's about it in this range (msrp or aftermarket). The Daytona already has the underside AR coating as well. What more in features would you want besides the mentioned high beat (though I don't think this is necessarily an improvement)?

Not saying just to give you a hard time, but rather I think the Daytona already has most of the features. It looks just as modern as every other current Rolex (and was really the first modern Rolex when launched way ahead of its time).
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote