The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 July 2021, 01:22 PM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

Rolex safety NYC

Yeah, another safety thread, but to be fair there was a London post recently and people claimed about American exceptionalism, so here ya go…

Question is whether those who live in NYC have changed their wearing habits or have any additional safety concerns in the current city context which seems like it has regressed since the pandemic started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 July 2021, 01:25 PM   #2
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

No changes in how I wear my watches (mostly Midtown/Soho). I am a little more careful when carrying shopping bags around, and I’ve switched to having my new watches shipped/couriered (which probably makes sense given nominally lower sales taxes in NJ).

Old 9 July 2021, 01:33 PM   #3
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
No changes. Similarly spend 99.9% of my time in midtown/downtown Manhattan. Probably wouldn’t wear it other boroughs, though not sure why. Yes, NYC is less safe than it was a couple of years ago. But still far safer than most large US cities and still nothing like it was in the 80s. Knock wood nothing happens, but you’ve gotta live your life.
Old 9 July 2021, 02:39 PM   #4
azrolexguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
......NYC is less safe than it was a couple of years ago. But still far safer than most large US cities.....
Now, that's funny
Old 9 July 2021, 02:51 PM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I agree that NYC is pretty safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrolexguy View Post
Now, that's funny
Pre pandemic, we traveled a lot. Midtown and downtown Manhattan seem safe to us recently.
Old 9 July 2021, 03:01 PM   #6
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrolexguy View Post
Now, that's funny
It’s true. But no need to let the facts get in the way of your opinion.
Old 10 July 2021, 09:45 AM   #7
shredder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
But still far safer than most large US cities
Old 9 July 2021, 01:47 PM   #8
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
No change in wearing habits. I’ve worn my watches in all parts of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens. I am more “situationally aware” now than before but other than that same story different day.
Old 9 July 2021, 01:49 PM   #9
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
No change. Still wouldn’t wear full gold/rose gold pm while taking public transportation
Old 9 July 2021, 02:14 PM   #10
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately a Rolex is very recognizable, even from a distance, especially if it has the telltale cyclops date lens. They certainly catch the attention of baddies. I try to only wear my Rolexes and other easily recognized watches under a cuff when I’m out and about in NYC and on the subway.

But I continue to wear less recognized watches, some of which are significantly more valuable than a Rolex, with short sleeves and even on the subway. For example my Journe CB goes places I wouldn’t dare wear a Rolex because it’s so under the radar. Same goes for my 5164.
Old 10 July 2021, 02:05 AM   #11
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Unfortunately a Rolex is very recognizable, even from a distance, especially if it has the telltale cyclops date lens. They certainly catch the attention of baddies. I try to only wear my Rolexes and other easily recognized watches under a cuff when I’m out and about in NYC and on the subway.

But I continue to wear less recognized watches, some of which are significantly more valuable than a Rolex, with short sleeves and even on the subway. For example my Journe CB goes places I wouldn’t dare wear a Rolex because it’s so under the radar. Same goes for my 5164.
I totally understand the context of your use of this word, just find the double entendre hilarious as there are many "baddies" that scope the wrists of men looking for a Rolex crown.
Old 10 July 2021, 02:40 AM   #12
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
I totally understand the context of your use of this word, just find the double entendre hilarious as there are many "baddies" that scope the wrists of men looking for a Rolex crown.
Sorry. I must have missed that one, but I’m often slow on the uptake. Sometimes I unintentionally make a double entendre. What was the double entendre?

The gist of my remark was that a Rolex watch is more universally known and easily identified among the general populace. NYC, like London or Paris, has its share of baddies or bad actors or the criminally inclined that have an eye for what’s on your wrist, and given an opportune moment or circumstance, will relieve you of your valued possession.

There was a time pre-Covid, that I felt safe to wear any watch on the subway, and I did this for years on a daily basis without much thought. But since Covid, the subways (and the city in general) has become less safe. It’s gotten somewhat better recently with more people on the street and more cops patrolling the subways, but there’s still definitely more of an edgy vibe now than in recent years. Hopefully that will change with our incoming mayor who takes office in January.
Old 10 July 2021, 02:47 AM   #13
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Sorry. I must have missed that one, but I’m often slow on the uptake. Sometimes I unintentionally make a double entendre. What was the double entendre?

The gist of my remark was that a Rolex watch is more universally known and easily identified among the general populace. NYC, like London or Paris, has its share of baddies or bad actors or the criminally inclined that have an eye for what’s on your wrist, and given an opportune moment or circumstance, will relieve you of your valued possession.

There was a time pre-Covid, that I felt safe to wear any watch on the subway, and I did this for years on a daily basis without much thought. But since Covid, the subways (and the city in general) has become less safe. It’s gotten somewhat better recently with more people on the street and more cops patrolling the subways, but there’s still definitely more of an edgy vibe now than in recent years. Hopefully that will change with our incoming mayor who takes office in January.
Search for "baddies" on Google Images

Urban Dictionary may provide some entertaining results as well!
Old 10 July 2021, 03:03 AM   #14
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
Search for "baddies" on Google Images

Urban Dictionary may provide some entertaining results as well!
Oh. I get it. You’re referring to thots. Certainly no shortage of them in NYC.
Old 9 July 2021, 02:21 PM   #15
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

I was there last month for 4 days wearing my YG day date. Walking around Manhattan and Queens. Didn’t think about it much just like many times I was there. Nothing happened so…lucky me, I guess.
Old 9 July 2021, 02:56 PM   #16
GMT Freak
"TRF" Member

NYC in general is pretty safe.

Unfortunately for London… it is what it is. In this case, I don’t see American exceptionalism.
Old 9 July 2021, 03:08 PM   #17
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

no change for me—live in north brooklyn but spend plenty of time in manhattan.

I’d say I’ve increased my situational awareness a bit, but that’s more based on hearsay and whatnot than anything I’ve actually witnessed or felt.

things definitely felt less safe when the city was super empty, but as things have filled back up it’s started to feel quite normal again.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
Old 9 July 2021, 03:23 PM   #18
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Better than Dallas recently ...
Old 10 July 2021, 10:50 AM   #19
spikep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Better than Dallas recently ...
How could this be funny? Your funny is someone else’s tragedy.
16610 LN, 16610 LV, 126610 LV, 126622 Rhodium, 126710 BLRO jubilee, 126710 BLRO oyster, 126719 Meteorite, 116710 BLNR, 126711 CHNR, 126715 CHNR, 326934 BLACK, 326934 GREEN, 216570 BLACK, 116500LN WHITE, 116500LN BLACK, 126710 VTNR jubilee
Old 9 July 2021, 03:28 PM   #20
Master_Grogu
Banned

Just don’t go to much north in Manhattan and you’ll be fine.
Old 9 July 2021, 08:54 PM   #21
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
No change. Still wear my Rolex while commuting to work on the MTA.
Old 9 July 2021, 09:35 PM   #22
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

Havent gone into manhattan for work since covid, but the city has def been a poop hole since the idiot mayor making the city less safe. Havent decided if i will wear my watches to work when i go back in the fall, have to wait and see.
Old 9 July 2021, 10:01 PM   #23
kevn00
"TRF" Member

seems pretty safe to me and the hundreds of others i see wearing rolexes and higher end watches in Manhattan, at least in the neighborhoods i live in and go to.
Old 9 July 2021, 10:12 PM   #24
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Travel to NYC often, comfortable with a steel model. Never a PM. Highly unlikely anything would happen where we frequent but really want the peace of mind.
Old 9 July 2021, 11:07 PM   #25
vcap826
"TRF" Member

I live in NYC and nothing has changed. The quality of life has decreased markedly in this town, but I was here in the 80's.
Old 9 July 2021, 11:11 PM   #26
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
It can happen anywhere. Major cities have more people, thus the % of everything goes up.
Old 9 July 2021, 11:13 PM   #27
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I wore my YG Sub to the Bronx yesterday. A criminal won't target you just for your Rolex, they will target you because they feel like they feel they can prey on you. They'll rob you for your phone and pocket change if they think they can get away with it. The best thing you can do is be aware of your surroundings. Read the area, if it doesn't feel safe, it probably isn't. Always give yourself an out. Have more than 1 way to get out of a situation. At the very least, make sure your valuables are insured. No material item is worth your life. If you're stuck in a bad situation, give up your valuables, you can always get another watch.
Old 9 July 2021, 11:28 PM   #28
rhino55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710ln
Anywhere you are likely to visit from out of town will be fine in my opinion. Specifically, sound of 97th on the east side, sound of 125th on the west side, trendy areas of Brooklyn. Subway has gotten A LOT busier this week.

Old 10 July 2021, 12:00 AM   #29
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
No change in my wearing habits. I live in Brooklyn and commute into midtown 4 days a week via subway and I've had no problems. I've also spent some time in some not so nice areas in Queens and haven't had any issues.

I am aware of my environment and who is around me, but that's a habit i developed growing up in New York during the 80-90s.
Old 10 July 2021, 12:09 AM   #30
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I know the concern is personal safety. I've been on Long Island 98% of the time since the pandemic. The few times I've been in the city for work I've felt safe, however they also say the shot that hurts the most is the one you don't see coming.

Not trying to scare anyone with that saying, just saying anything can happen even in "safe" places.

I'm of the opinion that you have to live and enjoy your life. For me that means (at least in part) wearing my watches. You can't always prevent "crazy", but you can be smart, aware and might as well insure your watches.

If you are ever robbed, there's hopefully a better chance to come out unscathed if you simply hand over your valuables. Insuring your watch, might just put you in a better mindset to automatically do so.
Closed Thread