The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 February 2006, 01:09 PM   #1
verolex
"TRF" Member

Icon3 Rolex? why?

Dear all,

Today is the first time I visited this forum, and the first thing popped in my eye is the Ad on every page on the bottom:
Replica Watch Report...wooow... I was wondering why???... The reason is that there are waaaaay to many fake Rolexes around!! I have heard that every 2 rolexes out of 3 are fakes :(((
Is Rolex really so popular? why so many people like this extremely overpriced watch brand that has a soo simple design that can be copied even by the cheapest chinese workshop?
In the recent weeks and months I took the time to see what brand of watches people are wearing. I have seen many Rolexes originals and cheap but good quality fakes too.
As I see it owning a Rolex is not a prestige anymore... Maybe 15 - 20 years ago... but not anymore...

Just common sense why would I buy a watch that has sooo many fake versions around it just doesn't make sense... and pay a horrible high price for this mass produced brand...

You may ask what kind of watch I own... A few months ago I bought a Breitling Evolution (two toned version)...... The watch is well recognized and unique, I love it!!!
I have not seen any fakes around too.
My question for you dear Rolex experts:why so many people can still be blinded by the fading shine of the Rolex brand? what is the secret??

With respect,
Verolex
verolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Tom

Because it's timeless.....
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 02:03 PM   #3
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
There must be a reason Rolex is the most copied watch in the world.
So, if your going to wear one, why go fake.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 02:18 PM   #4
verolex
"TRF" Member

In the old times only rich people had rolexes... now mostly the poor (they are the ones who bought the millions of fake rolexes)
Old 2 March 2007, 12:29 AM   #5
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by verolex View Post
In the old times only rich people had rolexes... now mostly the poor (they are the ones who bought the millions of fake rolexes)
If rich people only bought Rolex's in the old days, who bought the Patek's, A.S. Langes etc? Alien's maybe!
Old 2 March 2007, 01:29 AM   #6
PacNW

Watch: Rolex DayDate
I was at a bar in Pattaya 3 years ago charged with shots of Mekong the expats were buying me. We started playing some kind of dice game and I won a fakeo from a local seller of "genuine Rolex" who put it up as a bet. Gave it back to him later that night-no way I'd wear that POS. He was selling them at the beach for around 1000 Bhat and doing a good biz with the tourists.
If you're going to wear a Rolex, do the real deal IMHO
PacNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 01:21 AM   #7
WES

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by verolex View Post
Define "the old times" I bought my first Rolex one day in 1975, and that night I proudly showed it to the guys at work. Oh, by the way, that was at the fire station where I was assigned, and as I recall there wasn't a lot of "rich people" there that night.
WES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 02:22 PM   #8
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

a fake Rolex is not a Rolex

Member # 293
Old 2 February 2006, 02:26 PM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Welcome to TRF, I assume you want to know the reason that many of the people here are drawn to the brand? It is because it takes pride to know you own a real one, deciet to wear a fake.

Here are alot of personal answers from a while back, hope it helps. but if not my signature says alot too.

Again, glad you found TRF and please stick around and keep posting.

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=3987

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 02:42 PM   #10
verolex
"TRF" Member

the sad thing that many Rolex owners think they purchased an "original" only after a few days (when the watch stops ticking and they take it to the service center) they realize that they were ripped off.
Old 2 February 2006, 02:43 PM   #11
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by verolex
the sad thing that many Rolex owners think they purchased an "original" only after a few days (when the watch stops ticking and they take it to the service center) they realize that they were ripped off.
Not ones that are smart enough to realize that if it sounds too good to be true it certainly is.

Old 2 February 2006, 02:43 PM   #12
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

I hear you, $15 bucks from a guy in a trench coat.
What was I thinking.

Member # 293
Old 2 February 2006, 02:53 PM   #13
verolex
"TRF" Member

the guy bought it from a friend thinking that the friend bought it from a reliable source... It's really hard to tell wich one is original and wich one is fake, because the design of the Rolex watches is so simple...
Old 2 February 2006, 02:55 PM   #14
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
the guy bought it from a friend thinking that the friend bought it from a reliable source... It's really hard to tell wich one is original and wich one is fake, because the design of the Rolex watches is so simple...
That holds little water with me, if I am gonna spend X amount of dollars, I need to get off my lazy (and I am lazy) arse and get the watch checked out. Friends are friends, but business and money are different.

Old 3 February 2006, 03:48 AM   #15
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
That holds little water with me, if I am gonna spend X amount of dollars, I need to get off my lazy (and I am lazy) arse and get the watch checked out. Friends are friends, but business and money are different.
Wanna buy a watch Daren?
Old 3 February 2006, 04:48 AM   #16
Atomic

Since when is the 'shine' of Rolex fading? Seems to me their prices keep going up and they sell every watch they make.

Doesn't sound like a fading brand to me.
Old 3 February 2006, 07:33 AM   #17
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Since when is the 'shine' of Rolex fading? Seems to me their prices keep going up and they sell every watch they make.

Doesn't sound like a fading brand to me.
Man, you are some kind of Rolex snob, eh........

Old 2 February 2006, 03:14 PM   #18
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
But of course - how could a fake manufacturer possibly make copies of these horrendlously complicated copies:

Given that they're more expensive than a humble Rolex, you would think that the pirates would go for the bigger profit margin, but even the most daring of them quails at the prospect of attempting to get away with imitating these monsters of complication!

BTW, welcome aboard.
Old 2 February 2006, 03:16 PM   #19
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Is that top pic a fake?

Old 2 February 2006, 03:18 PM   #20
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Is that top pic a fake?
It's hard to tell when it's so simple.
Old 2 February 2006, 03:19 PM   #21
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
It's hard to tell when it's so simple.

Old 2 February 2006, 04:21 PM   #22
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Verolex,
First off let me welcome you to TRF. I see that Daren, one of this forums most senior members, has answered most of your questions. I would just like to add my thoughts. Most of the members here are not experts, as you characterized them in the closing question of your initial thread. We are people who appreciate the Rolex brand.We purchase genuine Rolex watches from either an authorized dealer or a very reputable seller. Thus, all but eliminating the possibilities of obtaining a fake. As Daren said, friends are friends but business is business. When making a purchase as substantial as the cost of a Rolex watch it is the purchasers responsibly to put forth the effort to ensure that the article is in fact genuine.
You ask why we are drawn to an overpriced brand that is so easily copied. There is no such thing as absolute value. You can only estimate what an article is worth to you, but taking into consideration the re-sale value of a Rolex as compared to most other brands it would seem that Rolex retain their value exceptionally well. We are not just purchasing a timepiece. We are in fact purchasing the quality, craftsmanship and a heritage rich with extraordinary accomplishments in horology that are, in fact, what makes a Rolex a Rolex.
You see these watches as simple and plain, we in turn view them as timeless and classic designs that have changed very little over the years, yet are more sought after now than ever.
You mention that you do not feel as though it is prestigious to own a Rolex. We do not wear these watches for the prestige of doing so, nor do we wear them in an attempt to display how much money we can afford to pay for a watch. Speaking for myself, the price of a Rolex is a very substantial investment for me, it is not something that comes easy. If a person wears a Rolex in an effort as to portray his monetary worth, than that person is wearing the watch for all the wrong reasons indeed.
You informed us that you own a Breitling. That is a beautiful watch, as well as an excellent choice, I wish you the best of luck with it.
In regards to your closing question, there is no secret. The answer is simply that some of us choose to own a watch of unparalleled quality and unique in almost every aspect of horology since it's very beginnings. A watch that has a history so full of remarkable achievements that it has become the standard by which almost all others in the industry are judged. A watch that has become so accomplished, respected and desired that it has in fact become the most replicated brand. I feel as though the amount of fakes available are only a testament to the true status that Rolex has achieved.
Hopefully this will enlighten you as to who we are and how we feel. As has your thread done for us. Now that we know a little more about each other feel free to continue to join us, and again welcome.

Respectfully,
Craig
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 03:38 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Dear all,

Today is the first time I visited this forum, and the first thing popped in my eye is the Ad on every page on the bottom:
Replica Watch Report...wooow... I was wondering why???... The reason is that there are waaaaay to many fake Rolexes around!! I have heard that every 2 rolexes out of 3 are fakes :(((
Is Rolex really so popular? why so many people like this extremely overpriced watch brand that has a soo simple design that can be copied even by the cheapest chinese workshop?
In the recent weeks and months I took the time to see what brand of watches people are wearing. I have seen many Rolexes originals and cheap but good quality fakes too.
As I see it owning a Rolex is not a prestige anymore... Maybe 15 - 20 years ago... but not anymore...

Just common sense why would I buy a watch that has sooo many fake versions around it just doesn't make sense... and pay a horrible high price for this mass produced brand...

You may ask what kind of watch I own... A few months ago I bought a Breitling Evolution (two toned version)...... The watch is well recognized and unique, I love it!!!
My question for you dear Rolex experts:why so many people can still be blinded by the fading shine of the Rolex brand? what is the secret??

With respect,
Verolex
Hi Verolex,

For starters, welcome to TRF.

I have to say one thing. For a new guy, your post doesn't look all that "bright" and nor does your outlook on Rolex. You do realise of course that you've jumped on to a forum where there are a number of die-hard Rolex lovers (like me), so the way you've gone around bashing the brand hasn't been exactly in very good taste.

You ask why so many people like this brand which can be copied by any Tom, Dick or Harry. To blame only the Chinese is extremely unfair and even racist. For your information, some of the finest replicas come from Japan, Germany and Italy - the so called advanced countries. So to blame some poor soul in Hong Kong or Taiwan is in poor form on this forum.

You say that in recent times you've seen many Rolexes: Fake and Originals!! Fair enough!! But then you go on to add that owning a Rolex is not prestigious any more. I beg to differ and disagree. Wearing a fake Rolex is certainly cheap and disgusting....depicting the low-life, scumbag the wearer is...but going out to a regular AD and plonking down hard-earned money on a genuine Rolex....now that is honour and prestige.

So, my man, whatever your ideas and notions on Rolex are....well, I don't know where you got them, but a more positive attitude on this forum about a product we love so much would be appreciated.

Thank you - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 08:10 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Yes only buy from reputable source,then you should have know problems Some of the fakes now are becoming quite scary,dial case etc,the only way to tell this type,is by removing the back,to check movement.I cannot understand anyone buying I known fake, as the only person they are fooling are themselves.And its not only Rolex that the fakers target Breitling is very close to Rolex in the fake market production.We all respect our genuine Rolex watches
so we have little need to talk about fakes,or replicas these are not even worth putting on your wrist.There are many fine cheaper brands,out there so why wear a bloody fake anything.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 12:12 AM   #25
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Dear all,

With respect,
Verolex
Verolex, let me also welcome you to TRF. A couple of things.

First, CJ said it very well. "We do not wear these watches for the prestige of doing so, nor do we wear them in an attempt to display how much money we can afford to pay for a watch.'

The people on TRF are here because we have an appreciation for high end watches. We are not out to impress anyone; we are especially not out to impress those who do not have a real appreciation for fine handcrafted timepieces. And I think that's the difference. We are willing to pay for quality and genuineness. People who are out to make an impression on others will buy the cheap fake because they can't understand paying for the real thing. None of us here would knowingly be caught dead wearing a fake (and expensive replicas are still fakes).

The other point is the paradox with your screenname. Why did you choose Verolex? You seem to be putting down Rolex in your initial post, yet you pay homage to the brand with your ID. I, for one, would welcome an explanation. I don't mean to be at all adversarial. I am genuinely curious.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2007, 07:30 PM   #26
greenfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Verolex, let me also welcome you to TRF. A couple of things.

First, CJ said it very well. "We do not wear these watches for the prestige of doing so, nor do we wear them in an attempt to display how much money we can afford to pay for a watch.'

The people on TRF are here because we have an appreciation for high end watches. We are not out to impress anyone; we are especially not out to impress those who do not have a real appreciation for fine handcrafted timepieces. And I think that's the difference. We are willing to pay for quality and genuineness. People who are out to make an impression on others will buy the cheap fake because they can't understand paying for the real thing. None of us here would knowingly be caught dead wearing a fake (and expensive replicas are still fakes).
+1
I totally agree with you RockRolex, CJ, JJ and all the others. The only reason we prefer ROLEX is because we like it and believe in high end watches. There may be some better brands than ROLEX and better watches, but this is something we love, our passion. And as you know, when it comes down to passion, there is no need for justification......
Old 3 February 2006, 01:30 AM   #27
Tom

I was a little perturbed also by this thread, and until i saw JJ's post, I too was wondering why post such a thread if you are here to question the validity of buying a rolex in the first place. I think everyone here knows that of course it's not a prestige thing, nor is it showing the amount of money you have in the bank. I bought my rolex sub because it is a piece of history which will go on forever. If you asked me what a Breitlieg was last year, I would have no clue. Only until i purchased my own rolex did I ever see how many different types of watches there are out there. But I chose Rolex for a reason. I did drop down a good chunk of cash for her, and it was hard earned, but well worth the money. The watch is beautiful, people who see me know that I don't usually wear a watch either so it's even more noticable. I could have bought anything else, but figured that it would either break, battery would run out, or I would always want a rolex so why buy something lesser? It took me months to finally decide to do it, doing all the research, looking at pricing, it took me time but I made the right decision.

It's simply timeless, an investment which you can pass on to your children, which they can pass on knowing that they own a piece of history that was from one of the original watch makers in this world.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 02:09 AM   #28
verolex
"TRF" Member

Dear all,

Thank you for welcoming me on this forum,
the name Verolex is made of 2 words Vero= true,real in spanish and Rolex :)
I would like to also thank you for your detailed answers for my questions,
However I have one more if you guys don't mind :)))
Trusting your AD...
Can you guys imagine the following situation:
A guy who works for an AD decides to make a little extra cash in his pocket
he buys 10-20 rolexes from the fake market (of course the excellent quality ones that are sold for $250) and sells it to customers for the regular price...
He can sell 20 watches in 3-4 months... If he sells the watches for approx $4000 he can make a jawdropping profit of $75k!!! Hmmm that sounds like a good profit in 3-4 months... Now our guy he made enough profit to say hello to his well profiting job and disappears in the "fog" The chance of getting cought is 0 coz he works for the AD and everyone trusts him...
The reason is I'm telling you guys this story because this is a VERY realistic scenery. The AD's are humans too... DO NOT TRUST ANYONE!!!

(Therefore "simplicity" is not always a good factor in an expensive watch)

With respect,
Verolex
Old 3 February 2006, 03:00 AM   #29
----

Quote:
Dear all,

Trusting your AD...
he buys 10-20 rolexes from the fake market (of course the excellent quality ones that are sold for $250) and sells it to customers for the regular price...
He can sell 20 watches in 3-4 months... If he sells the watches for approx $4000 he can make a jawdropping profit of $75k!!! Hmmm that sounds like a good profit in 3-4 months... Now our guy he made enough profit to say hello to his well profiting job and disappears in the "fog" The chance of getting cought is 0 coz he works for the AD and everyone trusts him...
The reason is I'm telling you guys this story because this is a VERY realistic scenery. The AD's are humans too... DO NOT TRUST ANYONE!!!

With respect,
Verolex
Verolex - welcome to TRF.

With regards to the scenario you suggest, most people have many more things in life to worry about than if the person at their Rolex AD is secretly selling fakes. Although anything can happen (such as the situation you described) I think that it is safe to say this would be a rare thing indeed.

If you are so concerned, then I would suggest there are ways around this that do not require you to buy a complicated watch......such as taking your new purchase to the nearest RSC to verify it's authenticity.

I may be reading you wrong, but you seem to want to put Rolex down for their designs, for a reason that is not really valid if as a watch purchaser you know what you are doing. A Rolex is what it is, a simple, rugged watch.
Old 3 February 2006, 03:02 AM   #30
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Dear all,

Trusting your AD...

With respect,
Verolex
There is always the possibility that your scenario can occur, Verolex. But I would venture to say it is a rare occurrence. In the U.S., the customer would have recourse against the AD for committing fraud. The AD is responsible for the employee's actions.

Now, if it's the owner of the AD that is committing the fraud, you might have a problem collecting, but that's where the saying "sh*t happens" comes from. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to get compensated for a wrong doing.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote